Baby/ threequarter giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I am trying to get my baby giant, like the one in the level 5 bar routine. I am very close, but i keep making the motion of a kip ( bringing my toes/knees to the bar instead of my hips). Any tips on how i can fix this?

Do you have a strap bar? If so, strap in and if you have a bar pad pull that on too. This is what we do at my gym to train actual Giants: you start with tap swings on the strap bar and while tap swinging think about shooting your legs over and landing with your hips on the bar. This is not a kip. Try to miss the bar- you might not- but that's ok. And just keep trying over and over. Also, practice candlesticks on the floor because this is the shape you want to go over in.

Do you have a strap bar? If so, strap in and if you have a bar pad pull that on too. This is what we do at my gym to train actual Giants: you start with tap swings on the strap bar and while tap swinging think about shooting your legs over and landing with your hips on the bar. This is not a kip. Try to miss the bar- you might not- but that's ok. And just keep trying over and over. Also, practice candlesticks on the floor because this is the shape you want to go over in.

We don't have a strap bar...

Use a floor bar and practice bringing it to your hips instead of your feet. That motion will hopefully help your body to remember how a baby giant is done. :rolleyes:

try from multiple swings, think of it as an "around" motion instead of a "back and forth" motion

get 4 spotting blocks and put them parallel to each other in 2's, place a slope mat on top and grab a floor bar or forster bar and do back extension rolls down them to support (this is the best drill I've thought of in terms of feeling the most like the actual skill)

Think of it as a clearhip is what I've always taught. The back Extension drills help quite a bit too. If you do a good strong tap, your body will try to do a giant either way. We would also do it as a tap into a giant then push away over the bar into the pit.

Think of it as a clearhip is what I've always taught. The back Extension drills help quite a bit too. If you do a good strong tap, your body will try to do a giant either way. We would also do it as a tap into a giant then push away over the bar into the pit.

The only problem is i don't have a clear hip...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back