What is the end goal of T & T?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Except any sport does not cost this much. I am used to paying $70 for basketball/football etc. In our area some sports (through the schools) are actually free. This is what I am struggling with. In the end I am going to do it I am just shocked at the amoutn of time and the cost.

Maybe that's where everyone else is lost- in my area, for instance, nothing is free. I pay $250 a month for ballet- and it's 3 hours a week. We pay gym close to $1,000 a month (2 kids), and that's nowhere close to in line with our income level, but we also make cuts and sacrifices and just plow ahead. It's ok to ask these questions, really- please don't feel jumped on. Better to decide if you think it's worth the money before starting. When my ODD started team, she was on a scholarship. After a long distance move and having to figure out how truly expensive it all is, I wish I had thought longer and harder before starting down the path...

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will update everyone with how his tryouts go. My kid absolutely loves this sport.
As most adults now know, your youth is one of the only times that you have enough free time (and the body) to truly indulge your passions. Have fun while it lasts!

Not if you're replacing it every six months!

Lol, it is true that these other sports that used to be much more affordable are getting out of control as well.

I think part of it is "everyone" is now on the "Travel Baseball/Soccer/Volleyball" train, rather than being content with a more simple local league that is reasonably competitive, but still have fun. Seems like in the past only the select few really went into the whole Travel thing, and now it seems nearly everyone is trying that route, talent aside.

My son, who is in love with gymnastics, also wanted to play soccer. He is quick, talented, natural ball control, can sprint around for days. Unless we committed to the 'travel soccer' insanity wagon, there was nothing else for him in our area except what equated to beginning rec soccer where same-age boys were Charlie-Brown-ing the ball or exhausted after 2 minutes of play. Nothing left in the 'middle'.

Edited to Add: choices were available for low cost in baseball, soccer, footbal, even hockey when he as age 5-7 ish. 8-9 and up, suddenly the middle dropped out.

The goal is for them to be physically active and stay it shape. The goal is for them to take risks and face fears in a safe environment. The goal is for them to face a series of progressive challenges, and overcome them through hard work and perseverance. But these are not "end goals," these are "right now goals"

The end goal is that some day, when he walks out of the gym without the intention of returning, he will take with him an ability to face challenges, to deal with fear, to work under pressure.

Last edited:
Lol, it is true that these other sports that used to be much more affordable are getting out of control as well.

I think part of it is "everyone" is now on the "Travel Baseball/Soccer/Volleyball" train, rather than being content with a more simple local league that is reasonably competitive, but still have fun. Seems like in the past only the select few really went into the whole Travel thing, and now it seems nearly everyone is trying that route, talent aside.

My son, who is in love with gymnastics, also wanted to play soccer. He is quick, talented, natural ball control, can sprint around for days. Unless we committed to the 'travel soccer' insanity wagon, there was nothing else for him in our area except what equated to beginning rec soccer where same-age boys were Charlie-Brown-ing the ball or exhausted after 2 minutes of play. Nothing left in the 'middle'.
My boss is involved in local baseball league and travel ball and I see the amount of time, commitment and money involved in uniforms, hats, bats, gloves, etc. and so forth that is involved. Perhaps not on the same monthly commitment of serious gymnastics but still costly. Growing up baseball was wild and free. Not anymore.

My son plays baseball on a competitive travel team. They work out in an indoor facility so that weather is less of a factor. We have monthly access fees, tournament fees, not to mention gas back and forth. My daughter is on T&T. Their monthly fees amount to about the same. There is extensive travel associated with both that includes overnight trips. It is a HUGE sacrifice. But. My kids are learning resilience - which will serve them when they deal with disappointment later in life. They are learning perseverance - which will serve them when they have to struggle through a college class that they don't quite like or understand easily. They are learning goal setting - which will serve them when they discover where they want to go in life and how difficult it may be to get there. They are learning how to be supportive team members, how to work with different personalities such as coaches, how to behave without their parents around, how to balance schoolwork with their passions, and how to fuel their bodies for activity. They are learning a love of lifelong exercise.

Sure, can they just play outside and get some exercise? Yes. But organized sports, whatever they are, provide valuable life lessons that they don't get in school or at home. 99% of kids in ANY sport will not get a college scholarship or go to the Olympics. But ask them who or what shaped their lives besides their parents and they'll tell you sports and coaches.

I can relate to the cost issue. I have a 10 yr old DD who is training L 9 in T&T and a 13 yr old DD who is making the switch from Xcel to JO. Combined we pay almost $900 each month in tuition alone. This does not cover Meets, apparel, Coaching fees, travel etc. It also does not take in account driving to 2 different gyms 6 days a week. As for a Booster Club I have found that they can be more of a hassle than not having one. My 10 year old dreams of going Elite, Olympics :) and maybe Cirque. My 13 has no desire to do college gym except maybe Club. They both are outstanding students. They also know how to budget their time, face fears head on and be a good teammate. Is it a sacrifice, you bet but worth every penny. Here is an article I just shared to my FB yesterday. Let us know how the try out goes :)

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/one-my-friends-asked-why-do-you-pay-so-much-money-your-chris-rohrer

A good baseball bat is not cheap either and apparently they have short shelf lives.

This made me chuckle -- My oldest son has about $600 worth of bats in his baseball bag right now -- and the wood ones (bamboo/maple hybrid at nearly $100 each) break throughout the season and need to be regularly replaced. Bottom line: There are no "cheap" sports once you get to the higher levels. Between high school ball, travel ball, house ball (for fun), away tournaments, and private lessons ($90/hour), we spend close to much on baseball as gymnastics. However, one big difference is that the cost escalates more slowly in "traditional" team sports like baseball... while in gymnastics or T&T you are paying a lot right from the get go!

In any event, good luck and keep us posted re: the tryout. It sounds like your son has found a sport that he truly enjoys. To see his enjoyment and hard work will help make the expense worth it!

Except any sport does not cost this much. I am used to paying $70 for basketball/football etc. In our area some sports (through the schools) are actually free. This is what I am struggling with. In the end I am going to do it I am just shocked at the amoutn of time and the cost.

Oh I get that. I have a ds in MAG. But he does not like the other sports, so it wouldn't matter if it was free, he would not be happy. We tried ;) And we add teh cost of tuition plus all the travel he does now. It is a lot!

My son did T&T in middle school. He quit in 9th grade. He has been out of the sport for a year and a half.

Yesterday he tried out for a local beginner diving team for something to do in the summer. The coach pulled him and my husband aside after the tryout and immediately moved him onto the most advanced diving team. He wanted to know how he had such tight perfect form and who taught him double flips and 1.5 twists. The coach called us again last night to say that my son has the skills to be a scholarshipped college diver if he would commit to training with him year round after school. (His high school doesn't have a diving team.) Mu husband is registering him today he starts practice tonight.

My son has missed T&T so much, and he was on cloud nine last night.

The goal we had when we put him in T&T was to occupy some of his time and get him some exercise and let him have fun. The rest of it just happens.

My son did T&T in middle school. He quit in 9th grade. He has been out of the sport for a year and a half.

Yesterday he tried out for a local beginner diving team for something to do in the summer. The coach pulled him and my husband aside after the tryout and immediately moved him onto the most advanced diving team. He wanted to know how he had such tight perfect form and who taught him double flips and 1.5 twists. The coach called us again last night to say that my son has the skills to be a scholarshipped college diver if he would commit to training with him year round after school. (His high school doesn't have a diving team.) Mu husband is registering him today he starts practice tonight.

My son has missed T&T so much, and he was on cloud nine last night.

The goal we had when we put him in T&T was to occupy some of his time and get him some exercise and let him have fun. The rest of it just happens.
Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Any sport on the same intensity level as T&T ( or Jo or Xcel) will also be expensive.

My DS plays Little League (in addition to competing JO gym). This years' sign up fee was $180, which includes $50 volunteer fee we'll eventually get back as my DH ended up being an assistant coach. Sign up past the deadline (as we did last year) and add $100. Then figure baseball bat - minimum $75 for a decent one, which he'll use one summer. Then cleats - another minimum $30 for the cheapest pair, which again lasts one season. Batting gloves ($20), baseball pants ($30 for a decent pair), and socks ($15ish) again which last one season. Belt $7-15 - may last more than one season (depends on color). Baseball glove - minimum $50 or so for a decent one - lasts my DS an average of two Little League seasons, I'd say. All this for three months to play a moderately competitive 'rec' Little League. Just saying, even doing baseball on the cheap is not cheap. Buy-in for one year is a minimum of $400 or so. Again, for just under one month of practices and just under two months of twice weekly games. Plus add in the (fairly minimal) costs to bring in your share of team snacks/drinks for after games.

And I won't get started on travel and select leagues, LOL. I think those families can be pretty crazy - they definitely compete with CGMs! Lots of $300 "pitching clinics" etc, plus travel.

And goodness. One of the area leagues has down to a "D" level select team. Just how "select" can it be?!?

Any sport on the same intensity level as T&T ( or Jo or Xcel) will also be expensive.

My DS plays Little League (in addition to competing JO gym). This years' sign up fee was $180, which includes $50 volunteer fee we'll eventually get back as my DH ended up being an assistant coach. Sign up past the deadline (as we did last year) and add $100. Then figure baseball bat - minimum $75 for a decent one, which he'll use one summer. Then cleats - another minimum $30 for the cheapest pair, which again lasts one season. Batting gloves ($20), baseball pants ($30 for a decent pair), and socks ($15ish) again which last one season. Belt $7-15 - may last more than one season (depends on color). Baseball glove - minimum $50 or so for a decent one - lasts my DS an average of two Little League seasons, I'd say. All this for three months to play a moderately competitive 'rec' Little League. Just saying, even doing baseball on the cheap is not cheap. Buy-in for one year is a minimum of $400 or so. Again, for just under one month of practices and just under two months of twice weekly games. Plus add in the (fairly minimal) costs to bring in your share of team snacks/drinks for after games.

And I won't get started on travel and select leagues, LOL. I think those families can be pretty crazy - they definitely compete with CGMs! Lots of $300 "pitching clinics" etc, plus travel.

And goodness. One of the area leagues has down to a "D" level select team. Just how "select" can it be?!?

Forgot to add in the cost of the bag to carry all the baseball crap in, ha! Plus the Double Bubble (or Big League Chew) and sunflower seeds for every game! ;)

I get that it isn't just about the dollars. Trust me. I want both of my kids to suceed. But let's be realistic. Not everyone can afford this. I think it is assinine that I am expected to pay $500 for a camp by May 26th and the coaches still have not told me (having to hear it from a CGM is ridiculous). The reason I asked specifically about my son is that he is the one that I would have to cut. My daughter's gymnastics is much different than my son's trampoline. It is much cheaper, much less of a time committment, etc. Not to mention, once she makes team, we have a booster club for gymnastics and not for tumbling. Therefore, I have to pay all fees out of my pocket. In the end I have the money I just have to make cuts. No more vacation, eating out, etc.
I am in a similar situation with three girls who all want to do some type of gym- my oldest dd wants to switch to tramp which I'm happy about since the hours and coat are actually less (as far as I can tell). My dh is in favor since it will help with wakeboarding *eyeroll*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back