Looking for a new gym in Ontario

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

newbiegymnasticsmoma

Proud Parent
Hello, my dd is switching gyms this summer and we are looking for any feedback (the good, the bad, and the ugly) My biggest worry for her is leaving her current gym just to get into another negative Coaching environment. She is absolutely fine with strict and tough but not belittling and threatening.

We are looking at Futures, Springers, Dynamo, and Manjaks, or any other potentials in the general area that. Please help. My dd is 11 and will likely be competing in the Novice division this season.

Can you change your profile so people can send you private messages? Canada gymnastics being such a small world, I am not sure how many would want to really speak their mind on a public forum :)

My suggestion to you would be.
  • Go randomly watch a couple of practices at each gym. I would go at least twice to all gyms at different times so you can see how busy the gym is, the organization of the gym, the coaching styles, are kids waiting for equipment, drills, standing around the chalk pit, etc.
  • Then I would interview the HC. I would make an appointment with each one and have a list of questions.
  • Keep in mind for costs three of these gyms are privately owned and one is not for profit. So if you are comparing costs you need to remember that private gyms have a lot of extra costs for meetings and travelling. Not saying thats bad but there are costs.
  • I would google the clubs for new articles, I would also go on gymnastics Ontario to see how many kids made provincials or nationals.
  • Where are you going to live? What would the commute be like to each gym, where is your dd going to school
  • Does the gym have split training. Two of the four of them do. Do you want split training?
  • How many hours do they offer? Whats the group sizes of your proposed dd training group.

For me... go watch... tells me so much...

Good luck

My suggestion to you would be.
  • Go randomly watch a couple of practices at each gym. I would go at least twice to all gyms at different times so you can see how busy the gym is, the organization of the gym, the coaching styles, are kids waiting for equipment, drills, standing around the chalk pit, etc.
  • Then I would interview the HC. I would make an appointment with each one and have a list of questions.
  • Keep in mind for costs three of these gyms are privately owned and one is not for profit. So if you are comparing costs you need to remember that private gyms have a lot of extra costs for meetings and travelling. Not saying thats bad but there are costs.
  • I would google the clubs for new articles, I would also go on gymnastics Ontario to see how many kids made provincials or nationals.
  • Where are you going to live? What would the commute be like to each gym, where is your dd going to school
  • Does the gym have split training. Two of the four of them do. Do you want split training?
  • How many hours do they offer? Whats the group sizes of your proposed dd training group.

For me... go watch... tells me so much...

Good luck

Thanks for the great advice! Some of that was on my list but not all. Lots to consider :) I also didn't realize that some gyms do split training, that could be difficult.

Both Manjak and Futures - have training in the AM. Don't quote me on exact times but 7am to 12:00 then school then back at 3:00. Something like that.
Dynamo - has I think two days during day and rest evening and one weekend. Again don't quote me
Springers - Daytime for those who can and nighttime for those who don't go to HP school.

Thanks for the great advice! Some of that was on my list but not all. Lots to consider :) I also didn't realize that some gyms do split training, that could be difficult.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back