Parents New here! 7 year old made team!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

jessifrostR

Proud Parent
My 7 year old daughter made the gymnastics team and I am so excited for her. I thought this would be a good place to join and ask questions as we are new to this journey.
She has been in gymnastics since two year old, but at her old gym, she went to up until last summer, she had went there on and off while she tried other sports such as tennis, t-ball, and dance, but the recreational coaches were teenagers and honestly my daughter did not really progress in the years she went there. She had never learned proper terminology or even how to use the vault/springboard. They basically had them play games and jump on the trampoline.
Anyway, at the beginning of last summer I could tell she was getting serious about wanting to improve her gymnastics, and so we switched to a gym that is 30 minutes away, but is SO much better. Walking in, they actually had quality equipment, experienced coaches, and on the first day the gym owner formally evaluated her and put her in an advanced hour and a half recreational class for 5 and 6 year olds.
She did that "little gym stars" class for the summer, and by the end of summer, she had improved so much, we were amazed, and so they put her in their "platinum" level recreational class and explained that this was the highest level recreational class for 6 years and up and this was the class were they pulled from team. So for fall and spring, she did 90 mins twice a week and in March this year, all 100 or so platinum level gymnasts were evaluated and 10 younger girls were taken for level 1 team and 10 older girls were taken for the excel bronze team. She was the only girl evaluated that 10 pull ups and 10 leg raises and all 3 splits! She knew evaluations for team were coming and worked super hard and was placed in the level 1 team.
We had orientation yesterday and they said the level 1 routines are basically the same routines they have been learning in their recreational platinum class, so I am little worried she will be bored this year because of doing the same skills, but she also said they will be training kips and other higher level skills but they want them to be "beyond prepared" to perform their meet routines. She has been talking about making team for months so we are really excited! Any advice as we start this journey would be super appreciated!!!
Thank you everyone.

Congrats on the start of your competitive journey!

But... Better safe than sorry. It's better to be as anonymous as possible: feel free to ask questions/ & advice, complain, etc without risk of a teammates parent, or a coach knowing who you are.

Should her teammates parents not know I'm on here? My username doesn't actually reveal my last name though so I think I'm good?
Welcome!! congrats on your daughter (dd) making team!

it can be fairly easy for local people to find out who you are (or at least which gym you attend) when you post specifics of your gym, daughter, classes she has taken. Most people prefer to remain anonymous, at least in the beginning stages. A lot of folks come here to ask "is this normal, fair' questions or "should I be concerned" questions. If you have already outed yourself, you may not feel comfortable asking those questions.

Welcome! As a gym mom who has had three competitive gymnasts...my advice would be to enjoy the ride! Don't watch practice too much, don't worry about what anyone else is doing, and always let it be her sport! You are there to pay, cheer for her, and support her! Expect some great days and some tough days, and to quote the great chalkbucket cliche'...it's a marathon, not a sprint!

it can be fairly easy for local people to find out who you are (or at least which gym you attend) when you post specifics of your gym, daughter, classes she has taken. Most people prefer to remain anonymous, at least in the beginning stages. A lot of folks come here to ask "is this normal, fair' questions or "should I be concerned" questions. If you have already outed yourself, you may not feel comfortable asking those questions.
Ok, I see! That makes sense. Thank you for the advice!

I was going to try to edit my post to make it less obvious but I don't see a way to do that?

Is there a way to edit my post to make it less obvious? I don't see how to do that or edit my username either.

I was going to try to edit my post to make it less obvious but I don't see a way to do that?

Is there a way to edit my post to make it less obvious? I don't see how to do that or edit my username either.
You can only edit posts for 5 minutes after you make them.
To change your username, contact one of the moderators (through private message, known on here as "conversation") and they can help you.

You can only edit posts for 5 minutes after you make them.
To change your username, contact one of the moderators (through private message, known on here as "conversation") and they can help you.
If you upgrade your registration here I believe the time you get to edit your posts increases considerably.

Start a " conversation" with me. I am around today and can make changes. Also, what do you want your new username to be? I may need our fearless administrator to do that one.

My advice....

Be super supportive of your DD. The sport is stressful and demanding and her coaches will be tough and demanding so it is crucial that she can find a level of ease and comfort at home.

Attempt to establish a meaningful line of communication with DD's coaches. Not to be nosy or pushy but instead to be informative and informed.

Understand that gymnastics is a lifestyle more than a sport. As your DD advances more and more of your life will begin to revolve around the sport. Flexibility and proper financial planning are critical.

Finally, enjoy the journey. Whatever level your DD reaches or whatever skills she may learn, the growth as a young lady will outshine all of that and you will miss it if you focus on trophies, advancement, or scores. Welcome to the site and be sure to share your good news with us as you undergo this fantastic trip down gymnastics lane.

My advice....

Be super supportive of your DD. The sport is stressful and demanding and her coaches will be tough and demanding so it is crucial that she can find a level of ease and comfort at home.

Attempt to establish a meaningful line of communication with DD's coaches. Not to be nosy or pushy but instead to be informative and informed.

Understand that gymnastics is a lifestyle more than a sport. As your DD advances more and more of your life will begin to revolve around the sport. Flexibility and proper financial planning are critical.

Finally, enjoy the journey. Whatever level your DD reaches or whatever skills she may learn, the growth as a young lady will outshine all of that and you will miss it if you focus on trophies, advancement, or scores. Welcome to the site and be sure to share your good news with us as you undergo this fantastic trip down gymnastics lane.

Great advice! [emoji106]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back