MAG Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
#2: Dads, in particular, have dreams of helping/coaching their sons in sports - tossing the ball in the backyard, playing goalie for them, etc... Most dads are going to be 'left out' if their son chooses gymnastics. Dads are "Doers"! They want to "Do"! Not just "Support". What could gyms/coaches/USAG do in MAG world to help Dads be more a part of their sons gymnastics experience and training? How could early programs be designed to include them? Just brainstorming here, but I think this is a key part of the problem. Even CB mantras are "Just feed them, drop them off, and don't ask questions." But Dads (and many Moms, but focusing on Dads now) want to be involved in their sons' sports. They want to understand the rules, help 'coach' their kids in some kind of way. The whole atmosphere of gym world excludes this fundamental drive that men (Dads) have to pitch in and be a part of their kids' sports journeys. How could this be improved? Could this also help supplement coaching for intro levels with motivated Dads who can become more a part of their sons' sport?

Some food for thought.

Maybe daddy and me classes? I mean, we have mommy and me classes.. just an idea

Maybe daddy and me classes? I mean, we have mommy and me classes.. just an idea

I like it.. I had a similar thought in this vein... There is currently a gap in the market for classes where parents and their kids can work out together (believe me, I have looked!). For intro gymnastics, Dads and Sons could work out together, and Dads could learn how to safely 'spot' some basics like head/hand stands, and proper technique/positions on a pull up bar, that kind of thing. They could both learn mushroom circles, dips on the pbars (or between matt stacks) etc. There could be contests as part of class, the possibilities are endless. And Dads are competitive and like to track things, so individualized performance tracking could be part of class with lessons/practice to take home. This could easily lead into Xcel for their son (or JO if they got serious). A mom could certainly participate, but marketing to the Dads with their sons could help address the particular problems stated in this thread. My husband would have loved this class (still would!!).

Honestly, my DH seriously dislikes the looks he gets from "other dads" when they learn our DS does gym. They literally just think of little girls in leotards and pretty much immediately discount my DS.

It wasn't until a little league practice this summer that a couple of coach dads were a bit impressed with my DS's flexibility and strength compared to he other kids. DH did like that. ;)

But really... we're also those parents that had no idea that competitive gymnastics really existed at all... I only signed my DD up in her first mom and me class due to a well-timed postcard advertisement, which started this whole ball rolling.

DS begged to take classes like big sis from the moment he could say the words, but I'll admit it was a bit begrudgingly when we finally signed him up when he was 3.

DH and I both played ball through high school and always thought both DD and DS would naturally just be baseball players while we coached (hahahahaha).

Anyway, I'm on the fence about Xcel for boys. I think it can go either way. While it might attract more kids who desire less commitment, I worry it'll draw some kids from JO that otherwise might have 'chosen' gymnastics over other sports. I admit my first thought was "hmmmm, maybe DS COULD try out for travel ball and still keep a foot in gym..." Note that this is MY thinking, not DS's. I'm pretty sure I could easily sway him.

I like it.. I had a similar thought in this vein... There is currently a gap in the market for classes where parents and their kids can work out together (believe me, I have looked!). For intro gymnastics, Dads and Sons could work out together, and Dads could learn how to safely 'spot' some basics like head/hand stands, and proper technique/positions on a pull up bar, that kind of thing. They could both learn mushroom circles, dips on the pbars (or between matt stacks) etc. There could be contests as part of class, the possibilities are endless. And Dads are competitive and like to track things, so individualized performance tracking could be part of class with lessons/practice to take home. This could easily lead into Xcel for their son (or JO if they got serious). A mom could certainly participate, but marketing to the Dads with their sons could help address the particular problems stated in this thread. My husband would have loved this class (still would!!).
When my other son did tae kwon do they had to sign up for Saturday belt testing. There the parent did certain activities with the child and wrote them down in a card to show progress. It was things like number of sit ups and push ups. Just brainstorming. But a way for the parents (dads especially) to do this at the end of the session would be fantastic. Our old coach did monthly conditioning contests with the boys. It was great for them to see their progress. But it would be even better for the dads.

I think there is also something to be said for us as parents spreading the word about boys' gymnastics. I don't post a ton of videos of DS on Facebook, but when I do, I always get guys commenting on how strong DS is. People are invariably shocked that such a small kid can do all those skills and I have had several (mostly male) coworkers ask me how to get their boys started.

DS has been a bit of an unintentional poster boy for MAG too. Nothing gets other boys' respect more than when the scrawny guy who "doesn't do a real sport" creams them in all the Presidential Physical Fitness contests. It's really funny to hear about the reactions he gets when he does twice as many pull ups as anyone else in the class. The soccer/baseball/basketball kids stop insulting gymnastics real fast after that!

At our gym, for the boys team at least, we have a lot of dads doing the pick up at the end of practice. I feel like they are very supportive and know each others kids names and a bit of other stuff about each other.

I am not sure if the coaches would want men or women helping out like others mentioned. They have enough to do to coach their team. Yet our coaches know the parents' names and are friendly with everyone. Perhaps it is more a job for us parents to do.

Bars - 5th Place, in a legitimate tie (meaning lower places did not need adjusted from the posted meet results - the score management software doesn't know how to deal with parallel placement).

I bet it didn't! I helped to write a custom program that my gym used for running our meet... and thinking about how I'd need to mod it to handle parallel placement like this gives me hives!

But, I think it's a neat concept around how to handle this kind of situation.

I bet it didn't! I helped to write a custom program that my gym used for running our meet... and thinking about how I'd need to mod it to handle parallel placement like this gives me hives!

But, I think it's a neat concept around how to handle this kind of situation.
It is in the Y Competition Rules and Policies (for Y Nationals… but that is how most choose to deal with it because it makes the most sense). It says: "Males participating and placing in the women’s competition will receive a duplicate award. The placement of the female competitors will not be adjusted" (meaning adjusted DOWN because of the male scoring higher).
So, a program would have to have the male SEPARATE, and then, after getting the female placement, insert the male and see where he places (but use the Female only results with him written in for awards OR print the combined results, but write in the correct female placements - would be easier that way, at least for me, because it is just changing numbers.).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back