WAG Flyaway Fulls

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kassgymnast_

Gymnast
I posted a while ago about my hand slipping off the bar coming out of handstands — while I haven’t got new grips yet I was able to get a new skill — supposedly the “hardest skill in the gym” which I’m kind of shocked. Here’s the skill:
BWRJyxoB85nolB0cmMbdgLbMd7JUUAKBClooq80

I still don’t have giants...

Anything to help improve my flyaway??(yes i know i’m piking down)

Would this be easier with giants into it?

Is it a GIF from a video? Maybe try uploading to Dropbox or private YouTube and providing the link?

Can't see the video but I can say that in general connecting giants to a flyaway does not improve the flyaway. It can be hard to do a good layout flyaway from tap swings, since you need to really work that tap to get enough height. But if you're already doing a cast, swing down into the flyaway it's pretty similar to doing it from giants. Giants can increase your speed/power for the flyaway but you actually don't need very much speed/power until you're doing more advanced dismounts.

Can't see the video but I can say that in general connecting giants to a flyaway does not improve the flyaway. It can be hard to do a good layout flyaway from tap swings, since you need to really work that tap to get enough height. But if you're already doing a cast, swing down into the flyaway it's pretty similar to doing it from giants. Giants can increase your speed/power for the flyaway but you actually don't need very much speed/power until you're doing more advanced dismounts.

lol - i told my dd that her layout flyaway is much better with her giants. she's sticks her landings more consistently with the giants vs. a cast handstand flyaway. i'm not sure why. but she releases better with her giants - she seems to have more control. which is the opposite of what i figured was going to happen.

Reactions: sce
lol - i told my dd that her layout flyaway is much better with her giants. she's sticks her landings more consistently with the giants vs. a cast handstand flyaway. i'm not sure why. but she releases better with her giants - she seems to have more control. which is the opposite of what i figured was going to happen.

I think sometimes kids have trouble maintaining a good, extended hollow from just a cast down into a flyaway. They try to control the handstand down and wind up closing the shoulders or piking on the swing-down. Or they have trouble tapping. Or it's easier for them to find the right timing. So I guess my previous statement was incorrect! Mechanically a cast handstand or a giant into a flyaway is basically the same thing (unless you need to build up speed/power), but mentally it's different.

I think sometimes kids have trouble maintaining a good, extended hollow from just a cast down into a flyaway. They try to control the handstand down and wind up closing the shoulders or piking on the swing-down. Or they have trouble tapping. Or it's easier for them to find the right timing. So I guess my previous statement was incorrect! Mechanically a cast handstand or a giant into a flyaway is basically the same thing (unless you need to build up speed/power), but mentally it's different.

well, my gymmie had issues releasing too soon and she would fall back on her butt. she did this 3 times during her level 6 season. even with falls she placed 3rd on bars two of those times and 4th on bars with a 9.0 the 3rd time. :rolleyes: so to see her releasing at the right time and struggling to not sit down now with her dismounts with giants added in is a relief! haha. i just hope she keeps it up. my heart can't take the stress!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back