WAG What would you do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

skittery

Gymnast
After a wonderful summer of gymnastics while visiting in Canada, my family moved to a different country again.

There's no gymnastics programs here.

After a year in this new country I plan to go back to Canada and live there. Should I go back to gymnastics then? I'd have had a full year off from sports basically (they also don't have my other sport).

I'm already very old for my level and the girls in my level will be ready for level 7 next year. The girls one group below us are very young (like 7) and I would feel really insecure to train with such young girls.

What would you do?

I don't know any developed country with no gymnastics programme, I can only assume you are in an undeveloped country. Even then, if your family has moved for work there should be some sports facility where you can work out. If you want to carry on when you return then I would suggest you ask your coaches for a home conditioning programme ant try and practice some safe skills at home or at a gym ( splits, handstands, holds etc) to keep your strength and flexibility up. Try looking for crossfit and yoga classes as well, then when you come back you can see where you are.

As Iwannabemargo states above, keep up with your conditioning. While there may not be a gymnastics club in close proximity to where you are currently living, you should be able to find some gym facilities. Regardless of whether you go back to gym when you get back to Canada, it is a good idea to stay in shape anyway. Additionally, you don't have to make a decision right now. A lot can happen in a year. I would go with how I feel and where I am when the time to make the decision rolls along. Good luck.

Agree with what others have said. Condition and then decide. Don't let training with younger kids chase you from following your dreams. Instead think of it as you can be a role model and big sister to them.

I agree with Iwannabemargo, try to find something else to keep you active while you're there and/or ask your coaches for gymnastics specific conditioning you can do with little or no equipment. While they might not have artistic gymnastics, some lesser developed countries do have things like sports acro, group gym, or other forms of gymnastics type activities that aren't as popular in the US/Canada. So do check out all the options at the local sports centers and schools. If there really is nothing even close to gymnastics offered, just staying active in other activities will be a huge help over doing nothing at all.

Thanks everyone! We've contacted the Canadian gym and they said I could go straight into their T&T team if I wanted to (the girls/boys are my age or older generally), so I would like to try that. My mum's also found out that the hotel we're living in temporarily has fitness, conditioning and dance classes every hour! :)

Update: Found a gym that has a group of level 6+ girls with a 12-15 age range. Training is pretty close on Wednesday but more than an hour away on Fridays and Saturdays. They train 3x per week.

I might take a term off to play football or do musical theater (school starts tomorrow) but after that I hope to do gym again!

Update: Found a gym that has a group of level 6+ girls with a 12-15 age range. Training is pretty close on Wednesday but more than an hour away on Fridays and Saturdays. They train 3x per week.

I might take a term off to play football or do musical theater (school starts tomorrow) but after that I hope to do gym again!
They have training at two different gyms? Is that a normal occurrence where you are? Just asking because I've never heard of that before

They have training at two different gyms? Is that a normal occurrence where you are? Just asking because I've never heard of that before

No idea, this is the only gym around though (other than international schools' gyms but they are for rec classes).

Reactions: sce
Of course i have no idea where in Jakarta you live, bit i found this:
https://www.rockstar-gym.com/id/schedule-locations/all-location
They have cheer and gymnastics, and it looks like a Nice facility

There is two 30 to 45 minutes away but I'm not sure my mum would let me tumble on anything other than a spring floor. Thanks though!

There's also a girl in my dance class at school who does gym. On the far days we can carpool if we both choose to go, but I might just do one day a week instead of going far. That's what she currently does.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back