WAG Gymnastics Hours for Team during the school year

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Question for those whose girls are on a Gymnastics team: our team recently changed the hours in the gym to M,W,F 4pm-8pm with no notice to the parents. Do you think this is a normal or good schedule? Do you have any issues with school and kids being tired ? Its a nice schedule for those who like weekends but the youngest kid is 8yrs old and the oldest is 13yr. Some parents are concerned about the hours, I havent decided how I feel yet.

The gym is a county gym and not a private gym. Also the gym does not offer TOPS or Hopes so we are not really elite. This is a level 4 group

What are your thoughts ?

Those would seem like fantastic hours for that level to me. I love having no weekends because gym is so expensive and weekends get missed so often during meet season. It would be nice if gyms could give notice at least.

This is pretty normal for level 4. A lot of gyms have 4-hour practices 3 times a week - it's usually either 3 weekdays or 2 weekdays and Saturday. "Normal" doesn't necessarily mean it works for any given family or kid, though.

Those would seem like fantastic hours for that level to me. I love having no weekends because gym is so expensive and weekends get missed so often during meet season. It would be nice if gyms could give notice at least.

The hours actually work out great for me , but we home school our child. Other parents drive/wait for school buses and school gets out after 3pm for older kids. Since its a county gym they only charge for the actual hours and always give make ups for missed days from the meets. Its a really good gym but we have a new coach and she changed the schedule and the kids who travel more are sad

We do not home school and last year they did 4:30-8:30 on Tues Thurs and 12:30-4:30 on Sat. This year they changed the hours during the week to 3:30-7:30 which I love. We never had problems with DD she was 7 in first grade. This was level 3. They have another level 3 group and level 4 groups that go 16 hours a week. This year they will be 4 week days 3:30-7:30 and we have TOPS the other day so that group goes M-F. Maybe I am brainwashed but the hours seem par for the course.

if so any tips for managing homework ?

Work with the teacher to get the weeks worth of homework on Monday so that she can do all assignments on the non Gym nights. This was super helpful and reduced a lot of stress in our house. Most teachers don't mind especially if your kid does well in school to begin with. Ideally you can get all HW on Monday and turn it all in on Friday to give you flexibility but even if you could get it all on Monday and turn it in as it comes due will give you some time management options.

Thats good to hear, I am actually not upset about the new hours just worried about how it will effect the others I appreciate the feedback :)

As far as managing homework goes, I think it can be a real grind especially with older kids. For classes that gave out a list of assignments at the beginning of the semester, I'd work ahead one or two days. I'd do homework in class instead of paying attention. Do homework in 15-minute intervals in the car. Do homework during lunch sometimes. It wasn't great - I didn't really have much time to socialize. I felt like I always had the sword of Damacles hanging over my head. I got straight As, but I've also always been someone who is good at retaining information and doing well in school. I just don't think I'll ever hustle as much as I did in high school.

Question for those whose girls are on a Gymnastics team: our team recently changed the hours in the gym to M,W,F 4pm-8pm with no notice to the parents. Do you think this is a normal or good schedule? Do you have any issues with school and kids being tired ? Its a nice schedule for those who like weekends but the youngest kid is 8yrs old and the oldest is 13yr. Some parents are concerned about the hours, I havent decided how I feel yet.

The gym is a county gym and not a private gym. Also the gym does not offer TOPS or Hopes so we are not really elite. This is a level 4 group

What are your thoughts ?
These are normal hours for team training. My oldest started team at 8 yrs and went 4:30-7:30 3 M, T, F. After that it was always 4 days a week 4:30-8:30 or 5-9, then increased to 5 days per week by the time she was 12. at your daughter's level she was 9 yrs old and going M, W, F 4:30-8;30 and Sat 9-1. They learn to do their homework during study hall, in the car, while eating supper... It trains them to be very efficient with their time. Yes, this is normal even for non-elite tracks.

What are your thoughts ?
What were the hours before the change? Also 12 hrs for level 4 is pretty normal, probably right at the average.

Can your dd talk to her teachers to see if she can get the homework ahead of time to work on the weekend and her off nights?
This is always a great idea. I'm thinking of doing the same for DD this year. Last year she barely had ANY homework, just reading and book reports. Planning on talking to her new teacher about it tomorrow as she has practice till 9 two days during the week (third practice day is on Saturdays)

We do not home school and last year they did 4:30-8:30 on Tues Thurs and 12:30-4:30 on Sat. This year they changed the hours during the week to 3:30-7:30 which I love. We never had problems with DD she was 7 in first grade. This was level 3. They have another level 3 group and level 4 groups that go 16 hours a week. This year they will be 4 week days 3:30-7:30 and we have TOPS the other day so that group goes M-F. Maybe I am brainwashed but the hours seem par for the course.

thanks for the info really helps to know this is the normal schedule ! :)

What were the hours before the change? Also 12 hrs for level 4 is pretty normal, probably right at the average.
Hours where Mon 5-8 , Wed 5-8 , Sat 1230-430 for this same level. But the gym is expanding and there are more coaches so they upped the hours (which is amazing!) however they switched from m,w, sat to m. w. f . we are able to make it work and personally looking forward to Sat/Sunday for other activities

Reactions: sce
Those are pretty normal hours, at least for our area. Before we moved our DD to Xcel, her hours were exactly the same. She worked on homework on the days she didn't have gymnastics and her teacher gave her permission to finish homework over the weekend. I liked those hours better than her current Xcel hours.

I agree with the others that it sounds pretty normal and isn't a bad schedule. In level 3, my dd went those exact hours and she did fine with it. I liked having the weekends free too. Now she goes M,W, S instead. I don't mind the Saturday practice too much, but it does have more of an impact on weekends. Change can be hard though and it might take a little while for the other kids/parents to adjust.

Hours where Mon 5-8 , Wed 5-8 , Sat 1230-430 for this same level. But the gym is expanding and there are more coaches so they upped the hours (which is amazing!) however they switched from m,w, sat to m. w. f . we are able to make it work and personally looking forward to Sat/Sunday for other activities
Well I prefer Fri vs Sat. The school week is still over abs your Saturday is free.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back