WAG Quitting Gymnastics to do Pole vaulting ? :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am thinking about making a difficult decision.

Let me give you the background.

I'm a freshman in high school. I do xcel gymnastics. I love it, and I could compete level 7-8 if I were in JO. I placed 2nd all around in region 6 as platinum. But there is no way that I could do this for college (obviously).

Now, I've started Pole Vaulting. I do this 3 times a week for the past 6 months(?). I can vault at 8.5 - 9 feet. Unlike gymnastics, pole vaulting isn't something you need to start at 3 to succeed at. In fact, I am actually ahead of the game there, so I could feasibly get to a good height. I'm being coached by the college varsity coach (not privately - he runs an extra group) so I also have good coaching.

You need anywhere from 10.5 - 14 feet to get into a good college. Obviously, it varies, but not many people pole vault and it would help me stand out, be more attractive, etc.

Now, the real question is:

Do you think quitting gymnastics would be beneficial in the long run?

Thanks for all input.

Sarah,

Couldn't you do both? We know a few girls who do gymnastics and track, pole vaulting included. And one of those girls got a Div 1 ride for pole vaulting. And she was a high level gymmie. We have current girls doing track and gymnastics and all our girls do JO. I think you should investigate making both work.

The real question is what would be beneficial to you? What are your goals, needs, pros and cons? If the potential for college athletics and possibly scholarship is high on your priority list, then you know gymnastics will probably not be that path.

I am sure you will make a well thought out decision. May you find peace with whatever decision you make.

Where I live the track coaches search our gymnastics for pole vaulting. They have the ability and are fearless.

The girls usually add pole vaulting to gymnastics as track season is very short and the pile vaulters usually only train three days a week. So do train all week at track but they usually add long jump or triple jump.

You have to follow your heart. Do what really makes you feel happy. The future is the great unknown.

I would say if you are able to do both, then do both - staying in gymnastics will help the pole vaulting. If you get to your junior year and things with pole vault REALLY start taking off and you NEED to stop doing gymnastics, then you can revisit the decision. But I'd say do both as long as you can!

If you get to your junior year and things with pole vault REALLY start taking off and you NEED to stop doing gymnastics, then you can revisit the decision. But I'd say do both as long as you can!
I'm curious what you think changes based being a junior??

I am thinking about making a difficult decision.

Let me give you the background.

I'm a freshman in high school. I do xcel gymnastics. I love it, and I could compete level 7-8 if I were in JO. I placed 2nd all around in region 6 as platinum. But there is no way that I could do this for college (obviously).

Now, I've started Pole Vaulting. I do this 3 times a week for the past 6 months(?). I can vault at 8.5 - 9 feet. Unlike gymnastics, pole vaulting isn't something you need to start at 3 to succeed at. In fact, I am actually ahead of the game there, so I could feasibly get to a good height. I'm being coached by the college varsity coach (not privately - he runs an extra group) so I also have good coaching.

You need anywhere from 10.5 - 14 feet to get into a good college. Obviously, it varies, but not many people pole vault and it would help me stand out, be more attractive, etc.

Now, the real question is:

Do you think quitting gymnastics would be beneficial in the long run?

Thanks for all input.
We have 3 pole vaulters on our gymnastics team. Two are L8 and one is potentially L7 this season. They are doing both (the L7 also does cheer and long jump, one L8 also runs relays and does long jump… the last L8 is only a freshman, so we don't know what she will do other that pole vault in high school - but she is thinking high jump).

If you love both, can continue with both without compromising your health or academics, and your parents are supportive, there is no reason to drop one sport yet unless you really want to. They complement each other very well--pole vaulters sometimes even train gymnastics skills on tramp and bars.

It is hard to leave a sport you may have been doing for many years and that you love. It sounds like you have been doing both for the past 6 months. You are the only one who knows if you are ready to fully move to a new activity. Doing both is great if that is what you want and it fits in with other priorities like maintaining high grades, socializing with friends, or being in a school club. I have seen kids go through high school completely stressed and sleep deprived because they have overloaded on demanding courses and activities. High should include fun and unstructured time. If you make the decision to leave gymnastics, it does not have to be permanent. If you find you miss it, you can go back in 6 months or a year. I absolutely understanding doing both if that works for you, but don't be afraid to move on if your heart is telling you it is time. Best of luck!

One of our gymnasts went to pole vaulting full time in HS. She was State champ and set several records. She said she felt gymnastics was really what set her apart and gave her the perfect athletic background for it! Good luck!!

I'm curious what you think changes based being a junior??
Enough time to get the attention of college coaches, but not too early where you would burn out - not really any scientific basis, but it's a new sport for her now as a freshman - so the two sports balance each other. Realistically, she should be able to do both sports all through high school - but I wouldn't pick right now as a freshman to completely throw gymnastics out the window.

Enough time to get the attention of college coaches, but not too early where you would burn out - not really any scientific basis, but it's a new sport for her now as a freshman - so the two sports balance each other. Realistically, she should be able to do both sports all through high school - but I wouldn't pick right now as a freshman to completely throw gymnastics out the window.
Thanks for getting back. :)

Hey everyone. Thanks for the answers.

So, I have decided that, at least for now, I'm going to take a break from gymnastics (that way, if I really hate it I can return). I will be doing diving, and potentially another sport in the spring, as well as Pole vaulting. I achieved all my goals and placed 2nd at the highest competition in xcel, and also have gotten all my "have to get before I quit" skills. I love gymnastics and it has been a part of my identity for years, but I talked it over with my mom, and I think I made the right decision.

It's just very painful to me.

Good luck!! Keep us posted on how it's going -- pole vault has become very popular and it's a great option for gymnasts. Hope all goes well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back