What do you consider "getting" a skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

FlipTwistFly28

I was just fooling around tonight on floor and I tried some punch fronts right into another punch front... I was happy afterwards, but I was just wondering what do guys consider 'getting' a skill? Like do you say you have that skill right after you get it or after you've done it a couple times, or even after you've first competed it? Just wondering! Thanks!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
personally, i say i'v "got" a skill when:
- It's the first time doing it without a spot (which may be the very first time)
- and I have to have actually landed it lol

so, in my case anyway, if i did punch front-punch front by myself without falling i would say i'v "got" it :)
good question..i bet other ppl have different criteria though.
congrats on getting your punch front - punch front!!!!

I've always considered 'getting it' when it can be done without a spot and done consistently. If my dd can do something once and a while I don't think she has it - I say she is working on it. When she can stick it 9 out of 10 times - then it's safe to say she's got it. Of course from time to time there are those pesky skills girls have and then they mysteriously disappear - but that's another story, lol.

In our gym it's always been 3 times in a row by yourself, made.

We have to do it 3 times on our own, then we get everyones attention and make them stop what they're doing and we have to stick it with everyone watching and cheering us on (like in a competition), and i think we get 2 or 3 chances to stick it. If you do, then you got it.

When you are actually confident about doing it in a routine, without a spot, without any extra mats. There's a difference between doing it in pratice and doing it in routines.

I agree with I-heart-beam. Some people can do skills individually, but cannot do them in the routine. Its a completely different thing.
AN example.. say I have my full and I can do it in practice after warming up 5-10 layouts. That is not the same as being able to warm up my full in a timed warm up like a meet and being able to do it correctly in my routine.

Gymgymgymnast08 got it exactly, IMO anyway. We were never allowed to compete anything that we had to do extra skills (after warmup) to build up to.

Hmm. Can't get this to read the way I wanted it to. Far too many to's in the one post. But yeah, Gymgymgymnast got it spot on.

Last edited:
I've always considered 'getting it' when it can be done without a spot and done consistently. If my dd can do something once and a while I don't think she has it - I say she is working on it. When she can stick it 9 out of 10 times - then it's safe to say she's got it. Of course from time to time there are those pesky skills girls have and then they mysteriously disappear - but that's another story, lol.
Tell me about it. I had my full all throughout the summer and it just kind of fizzled away in September. What's up with that?!

My definition of "Getting" a skill would be doing it with out a spot, 3 times in row. Then you get to go ring the skill bell. LOL. At least, that's how we roll in my gym. :)

Tell me about it. I had my full all throughout the summer and it just kind of fizzled away in September. What's up with that?!

My definition of "Getting" a skill would be doing it with out a spot, 3 times in row. Then you get to go ring the skill bell. LOL. At least, that's how we roll in my gym. :)

So we're not the only gym with a skill bell! (well we have a horn xD) but we are exactly the same... 3 times without a spot then we ring the bell (/honk the horn)

We've got a bell too. I let my kids ring it when they've done something with no spot on 2 consecutive turn-that means they have it (class good). When I was competing, "getting a skill" well enough to put it in a routine meant doing it three consecutive practices.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back