WAG Music in the Gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, not kidz bop, regular songs they are just words and ideas in songs. Maybe DD comes home with questions about a song and I can take the opportunity to be her dad and teach her something.

The problem with explicit, objectifying, etc. content in music at the gym is that your kid might not even think to ask you about it. If my daughter and I are listening to the radio together, I can point out to her the songs that I find problematic and start a discussion ("Wow, the character in this song sounds really sad that she broke up with her boyfriend. She seems to be dealing with it by teasing other men, getting drunk, and eating Twinkies until she throws up. What do you think about that?" And yes, that is a real song that was in heavy radio play about a year ago.) At the gym, she could hear that song over and over and internalize the message without ever critically analyzing the content. I am against censorship and very liberal about my kid's media exposure, but even I don't like the thought of her listening to the stuff that's on top 40 radio without supervision.

The problem with explicit, objectifying, etc. content in music at the gym is that your kid might not even think to ask you about it. If my daughter and I are listening to the radio together, I can point out to her the songs that I find problematic and start a discussion ("Wow, the character in this song sounds really sad that she broke up with her boyfriend. She seems to be dealing with it by teasing other men, getting drunk, and eating Twinkies until she throws up. What do you think about that?" And yes, that is a real song that was in heavy radio play about a year ago.) At the gym, she could hear that song over and over and internalize the message without ever critically analyzing the content. I am against censorship and very liberal about my kid's media exposure, but even I don't like the thought of her listening to the stuff that's on top 40 radio without supervision.
This is my reasoning exactly. I'm really not at all a proponent of sheltering kids from everything and only allowing them to listen to Kids Bop and watching G-rated movies until they're 18, I just feel like the gym maybe isn't the place for that kind of exposure to be happening. Because while I absolutely do have kids that will say "Why is she talking about getting naked?" When they hear it in a song, most of the kids are just going to soak it in and not say a word. And even if they do ask, I'm skating on thin ice by offering any answer other than "ask your mom/dad." And even that might not be appreciated by the parents.
I did work at a gym that played only Mickey Mouse Clubhouse type songs which was obnoxious and totally extreme and I don't agree with that either, just a pleasant middle ground where the kids can listen to the stuff that makes them happy while not wading into tricky territory. Maybe that doesn't exist?
I feel bad that the kids currently can't listen to anything because some people complained, but at the same time I don't want to step on any more toes and just want some kind of sort of happy medium.

We usually have the radio on (pop or alternative, alternative stations seem to be safer), or floor music. Have you thought about Disney soundtracks? Even the older girls like these, especiall if its older Disney (Lion King for example). What about a playlist that has the biggest hits from the 80s and 90s? There are still a few songs that parents may not approve of but the majority should be okay.

Just curious- what do your gyms do about background music in the gym? I don't typically turn anything on, but inevitably another coach will come in who thinks it's too quiet and clicks on the radio to a pop station and inevitably some questionable stuff comes on. We had a parent complain recently, so I'm trying to figure out other options. HC has been playing classical CDs in the meantime, but I know it's probably not the kid's first choice. And CDs tend to get repetitive.
So what do your gyms do? Pandora station? Spotify playlist? I think there is a Radio Disney station that plays popular songs minus the really bad ones- anyone have experience with that? Something else?
Pretty much play top 40 or coaches have playlists .

Kindergym has a specified playlist which goes with the theme of the week.

Rec groups after school don't tend to have music on in the background, unless I'm just really unobservant. It's not really necessary at that age.

Older groups like to put on the radio or, of course, their floor music.

When the rec classes are in session it's either preschool songs or no music. Open gym usually gets a Disney playlist. Saturday mornings (team only) coach picks - usually country. :rolleyes: Until the girls complain at least. haha! :p

When we play something other than floor music we have the older girls find something safe for all. They like to find Pandora channels with High School Musical or Hannah Montana or music from other tween type shows. I sometimes will have musical theater Thursdays where I play some of my (kid appropriate) favorites. I have always been liberal with what my kids listen to you, and encourage discussion. However, I am not going to make that decision for other parents.

Reactions: sce
our gym turns music on at some point. not sure when. when i drop off there are tons of rec classes and younger JO/Xcel (ect).... when i pick up, it's just the JO teams that are there for that day and music is blaring. it runs the gamut of popular teen music. some country, some top 40... i believe it's coaches choice and whatever is on their phones/ipod. it could be spotify but i don't think so. one song kept repeating one night. lol. some country twang song.

Our owner is VERY picky about music that he will allow during practice. So we have a playlist of preapproved music and play only from that. Its the same list that we use at our competitions when we are between routines/events/sessions etc.

Our owner is VERY picky about music that he will allow during practice. So we have a playlist of preapproved music and play only from that. Its the same list that we use at our competitions when we are between routines/events/sessions etc.
Dyes he change or update it? I have no issue with a set playlist but year after year if the same songs would get very old.

Dyes he change or update it? I have no issue with a set playlist but year after year if the same songs would get very old.
Lol...THIS. I was working with my level 4's recently and realized the music another coach had put on sounded veeeery familiar. Listened a little more, realized it was a mix CD that used to play on repeat. When I was a level 4. We won't even mention the fact that I still knew all the lyrics... :confused:

Did you know that ASCAP can make your gym pay a licensing fee to play the radio or music in the gym? Truth. When I worked in the office, they were sending reps out to businesses in the area, and reporting all that played music. They tried to force the owner to pay something like $1000 or $2000 a year to ASCAP in order to play music, so he said he just would no longer play music. And he didn't, except FX music. Which if purchased, you also purchase the rights to play it publicly. Just something I thought of while reading this. :)

Did you know that ASCAP can make your gym pay a licensing fee to play the radio or music in the gym? Truth. When I worked in the office, they were sending reps out to businesses in the area, and reporting all that played music. They tried to force the owner to pay something like $1000 or $2000 a year to ASCAP in order to play music, so he said he just would no longer play music. And he didn't, except FX music. Which if purchased, you also purchase the rights to play it publicly. Just something I thought of while reading this. :)
From ASCAP: "Permission for radio ... transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of ... radio transmissions by ... establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers ..., and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge."
Since there is no admission charge for me to go to practice and watch, it is allowable for them to play the radio. Tapes / CDs/ Playlists may be different though.

Our gym just turns on a playlist from one of DDs coaches phones. But she has complained to me that some of it isnt very appropriate.

Reactions: sce
From ASCAP: "Permission for radio ... transmissions in your business is not needed if the performance is by means of public communication of ... radio transmissions by ... establishments of a certain size which use a limited number of speakers ..., and if the reception is not further transmitted (for example, from one room to another) from the place in which it is received, and there is no admission charge."
Since there is no admission charge for me to go to practice and watch, it is allowable for them to play the radio. Tapes / CDs/ Playlists may be different though.
They said anytime the public can just walk in (unlike a birthday party which is private). They hounded me to insist that payment be made. i just told them that we no longer played music in the gym, which was true.

Pop music stations at our gym. we didn't listen to any pop music before gym career started. Dd now knows every word.

Found myself singing along to a catchy song a while back... Something along the lines of "blow my whistle"... ... Ummm, no.

But I know for a fact that many of the songs I sang when I was young had 'questionable' lyrics and I had no clue. I guess it's a neverending cycle!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back