WAG Dressing during practice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The popular t shirt that says if "gymnastics was easy they would call it football"

I was with you on everything but this. I love this freaking shirt. And its not a girl thing, its a gymnastics thing.

My girl beats all the boys at school when it comes to physical fitness challenges, like pull ups and such. Not because she is a "girl" gymnast, but because she is a gymnast.
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

You need to be freaking strong to be a gymnast, boy or girl. :D

Thanks,

Yes, gymnasts need to be strong but every sport, even football has its challenges and there is no need to put another sport down to bring yours up. D1 gymnasts could not make a D1 football team, just like D1 football players can't do D1 gymnastics. The shirt does not say gymnasts are stronger it says gymnastics is harder. It says nothing about strength.

Last edited:
leo with gymnastics shorts worn by almost every team girl in middle school and high school. Bra showing (racerback style) is fine and very common. DD has been wearing shorts for most of her gymnastics years and never has had any issue with wearing comp leo at meets. I don't know of any girl on team that has had any issue to go from shorts and leo to comp leo for meets. If coaches are concerned about the adjustment to leo only, the once a week leo only rule seems to be a compromise, but honestly I don't think it is necessary.

Not just can't show, as in a racerback, but like if your strap happens to slip down on your shoulder and is showing, we have had kids get in big trouble. Yep, everyone follows the rule.
So... the girls are working out, running, flipping, jumping, and being overall almost dangerously active, and their bra can't slip down their shoulder!!!??? I can't imagine a girl doing a yurchenko and then the coach going, "Hey, you're bra strap popped out! What's wrong with you?!". Wha??

At our gym anything goes. Sports bras, shorts, leggings, whatever, just nothing loose after warm-ups. My dd only wears leos because that's what she's comfortable in, but she's one of the few on the team that does that every practice. I personally think it looks messy, but it's pretty laid back. Also, we didn't have AC until this summer so in the past it was somewhat due to heat in the summer, and now it's just habit for most of the girls to wear sports bras and shorts.

I absolutely hate the football shirt, because I try to teach my kids that you don't have to tear others down to build yourself up. But to be fair, they have that shirt about EVERY sport. If soccer were easy they'd call it football; if track were easy they'd call it football...literally every sport. Except figure skating - when I was figure skating it was "If figure skating were easy, they'd call it hockey."

That one thing is not unique to gymnastics.

I don't buy the safety issues and leos are not magical things that separate female gymnasts, their skills do. As long as they are safe they should be able to be as modest as they choose. Even if you require them to cover their midriff ( for all including the boy's team and rec), leos don't make the sport.
I have to disagree here, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking a kid to wear a sport specific garment and dress appropriately for practice or competitions. I agree that there is no need to be overly controlling in implementing that rule, but it really isn't any different than any other sport. Soccer players are expected to show up in cleats and clothing that allows for ease of movement, swimmers need to wear proper competitive swimwear- things that aren't necessarily a safety measure but allow them to best participate in their sport. I don't see gymnasts being asked to wear a leotard or something similar as being any different.
I agree that there is no need to be ultra controlling or overly specific based on the preferred taste of the coach when it comes to the small details (no shorts, no bra straps during practice, etc.), but I really don't think asking kids to wear a leotard is too much. And yes, there should be space to allow girls to be more modest if they choose, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.
I never really understood the gyms with very strict dress code guidelines until working at a gym with a very lax dress code. You give them an inch, they take a mile. Not so much the little ones, but the ones whose parents trust them to dress themselves for practice. Baggy t-shirts, drawstrings flying out of shorts while on bars, baggy shorts or pants wrapping around bars (or not allowing them to shift around the bar properly), flowy tops getting caught on a coach's thumb while being spotted- those things matter.

My daughter does that to comp leos no matter how often she wears practice leos without shorts. It drives coaches nuts, but it drives her nuts how high comp leos are cut. She thinks it’s gross. She has gotten talked to, in trouble, etc., but she still pulls them down. I don’t blame her because in the upper teen years the Olympic or ncaa cut is a bit much imo.
I have an idea of how your dd wears her leos, and this girl took it to a whole new level! She had it pulled down to about where spandex workout shorts would hit, almost like a unitard (which caused the top of the leo to be pulled down too). I didn't say anything to her, and I was happy when she finally went and put on her leggings because it was painful to watch. It was her first attempt at wearing just a leo, so I imagine it will get better.
Actually, when I was competing 15-ish years ago, Alpha Factor leotards had a more modest cut- probably similar to how your dd wears her leos. I knew some people that called it a granny fit. As someone with short, stocky legs, I wasn't a huge fan of it- but it was an option out there. I have heard that since then Alpha Factor has gone very much in the other direction and has some of the highest cut leos around. I think they make most of the NCAA leos, which I agree are too much! If we were sent comp leos like that I would very quickly send them back. I had to compete for 2 years in a very badly cut, ill fitting comp leo (very much resembled a thong after a floor routine) and know that a kid is no where near their most confident when they are wearing something they are not comfortable in. Part of the reason I don't require a certain standard "competition fit" for leotards.
As for "being prepared for meets," I've found that most new kids follow the cues set by the older/more experienced girls. So even if wearing just a leotard isn't their first choice, they see how the other girls wear it (and are totally comfortable) and follow along.

I have to disagree here, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking a kid to wear a sport specific garment and dress appropriately for practice or competitions. I agree that there is no need to be overly controlling in implementing that rule, but it really isn't any different than any other sport. Soccer players are expected to show up in cleats and clothing that allows for ease of movement, swimmers need to wear proper competitive swimwear- things that aren't necessarily a safety measure but allow them to best participate in their sport. I don't see gymnasts being asked to wear a leotard or something similar as being any different.
I agree that there is no need to be ultra controlling or overly specific based on the preferred taste of the coach when it comes to the small details (no shorts, no bra straps during practice, etc.), but I really don't think asking kids to wear a leotard is too much. And yes, there should be space to allow girls to be more modest if they choose, but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.
I never really understood the gyms with very strict dress code guidelines until working at a gym with a very lax dress code. You give them an inch, they take a mile. Not so much the little ones, but the ones whose parents trust them to dress themselves for practice. Baggy t-shirts, drawstrings flying out of shorts while on bars, baggy shorts or pants wrapping around bars (or not allowing them to shift around the bar properly), flowy tops getting caught on a coach's thumb while being spotted- those things matter.

There is equipment and dress that is needed for safety (think cleats, guards, mouth piece) and stuff needed to do your "thing" (grips, toe shoes, tap shoes, chin rest, your instrument, bat, club etc..). Clothes that make sense for the sport, clearly a swimsuit for the pool.

And there is a difference between competition/performance dress and practice dress. In many things. As a kickline back in the day we didn't practice in our kickline dress, nor my twirling costume. Dance, you don't practice in your Swan Lake outfit. Marching Band, no don't wear the heavy jacket and hat with plumage to practice. My kid doesn't wear her black and white orchestra dress to every practice and lesson. We/they have dress rehearsals for getting comfortable with what you actually wear.

Even the pros don't do full suit up, having been to Giant and Jet training. Those dudes wear their safety gear, pads, cleats, mouth guards, helmets and such, but no not full dress...... at practice. Scrimmage day/practice they have required dress, but its a looser code for just practice.

I get the need for not wearing loose clothing for gymnastics. But the leo only thing. Just not necessary. My kid really is not a leo only kid. She gets there is a required uniform at meets and deals. But for practice she wants to be in her comfort zone. And that's currently gymnastics shorts with her leo. Our (coach and I) biggest worry when she first started team was getting her into a leo, because she was a tank top and shorts kid. For years it was biketards and the first day she had to wear that as a 6 year old was a fight. She is neat and safe and comfortable.
And we are lucky, both gyms we have been at aren't so rigid. And I get there are gyms that are way more rigid and controlling, fine your house, your rules. But its not about "needed or else your performance will be compromised"

So no I just don't get the leo only thing.

I think some coaches have the no shorts rule to deal with the one kid out of 50 who may have an issue with competing without shorts. Rather than deal with the one kid, make everyone practice without shorts. Same with parent viewing - rather than deal with the individual parents who are crazy gym parents, they have a no-viewing rule for everyone. I understand why they do this as it's easiest for the staff but I don't think it's necessarily the right thing....

To me, following the set dress code for whatever sport/activity you choose to pursue is part of the respect you show for the sport. Coming from a ballet background, we learned early on that the respectful and correct way to dress for class was a leotard, pink ballet tights, no undies and hair in a bun. For gymnastics, our dress code for team is leotard only and hair up away from face. For swimming (I was on swim team for many years) it was a swimsuit, cap and goggles. For other sports, there are other requirements. If you refuse to dress for a particular sport, perhaps that isn't the sport for you..!
As a coach, I have to see and adjust minute details in their positions. In other sports, that matters far less! I equate this to ballet in so many ways with seeing lines and how the muscles are working in order to be able to coach my gymnasts better. I personally really dislike how biketards look even on rec kids, but I can see how some of the littler ones may like them.
For spotting, tanks/bratops and shorts are horrible!!
As a side note, I appreciate how both my girls participating in sports with leotard requirements have shown them how normal the human body is and how it does not need to be hidden. I'm European and the american attitude towards bodies in general totally puzzles me, to be honest. It's a body, nothing shameful about it! But that is a discussion for another day...

To me, following the set dress code for whatever sport/activity you choose to pursue is part of the respect you show for the sport. Coming from a ballet background, we learned early on that the respectful and correct way to dress for class was a leotard, pink ballet tights, no undies and hair in a bun. For gymnastics, our dress code for team is leotard only and hair up away from face. For swimming (I was on swim team for many years) it was a swimsuit, cap and goggles. For other sports, there are other requirements. If you refuse to dress for a particular sport, perhaps that isn't the sport for you..!
As a coach, I have to see and adjust minute details in their positions. In other sports, that matters far less! I equate this to ballet in so many ways with seeing lines and how the muscles are working in order to be able to coach my gymnasts better. I personally really dislike how biketards look even on rec kids, but I can see how some of the littler ones may like them.
For spotting, tanks/bratops and shorts are horrible!!
As a side note, I appreciate how both my girls participating in sports with leotard requirements have shown them how normal the human body is and how it does not need to be hidden. I'm European and the american attitude towards bodies in general totally puzzles me, to be honest. It's a body, nothing shameful about it! But that is a discussion for another day...
I think the question is more about why aren't bar shorts part of a respectable gym uniform? Many gyms allow them so what is the rationale for other gyms to ban them? I understand if you say "it's my gym and this is the dress code, take it or leave it" but to say it's because they need to get used to competing without shorts..I guess I'm not buying it.

For me the big difference between gym and other activities like swimming and dance is that the coach sometimes gets very close to the athletes (think spotting straddle CHS) and some girls may feel more comfortable wearing shorts for that reason, especially once they hit puberty....

The "you can only wear a leo to get used to only wearing a leo" is the silliest thing ever. It makes absolutely no sense. None.

Really a mock meet/dress rehearsal is more then sufficient. Both gyms we have been at do this. One "meet/practice" prior to start of meet season. So we all (parents, coaches and kids) are OK with things like is the hair in the way, is it going to hold up, leo fit and in good condition, no undies showing and so on). This makes sense.

Leo's only for getting used to them. Makes no sense. Getting used to the leo is the least of things regarding meets. They have to get used to being judged, the added crowd of spectators and noise, different equipment (that changes at every meet). The view from the equipment (which changes are every meet). Hair if they are not used to whatever "meet hair" is even more important then a leo. Grips and supports more important to get used to.

Kids competing multiple times a season for years, do not "need" to get used to a leo. And if they do then they need to get used to the actual leo they are wearing, not just any leo.

And I do not see that happen in any other sport or activity that requires a specific dress or uniform. At least none I or my kids have ever been in.
Just silly.

I have to disagree with this where my own daughter is concerned.
If my daughter had to rely on only the mock meet to get used to wearing "only a leo", she'd have been a freaking hot mess.
Our gym does allow shorts, but the week before meets they have to wear "only a leo". And let me tell you, that first day, each time, she wasn't thrilled. She's just not used to it, and she's the personality that change is always difficult. As the years went on, it did get easier for her to step up to the plate, but it took a while. Age and maturity helped as the years went on.
But looking back, I am very glad they made them get used to practicing in "only a leo". Dealing with bumps in the hair was enough each meet, that if she had to get used to not wearing shorts on that day, too, I'd have tapped many years ago...

The "you can only wear a leo to get used to only wearing a leo" is the silliest thing ever. It makes absolutely no sense. None.

Really a mock meet/dress rehearsal is more then sufficient. Both gyms we have been at do this. One "meet/practice" prior to start of meet season. So we all (parents, coaches and kids) are OK with things like is the hair in the way, is it going to hold up, leo fit and in good condition, no undies showing and so on). This makes sense.

Leo's only for getting used to them. Makes no sense. Getting used to the leo is the least of things regarding meets. They have to get used to being judged, the added crowd of spectators and noise, different equipment (that changes at every meet). The view from the equipment (which changes are every meet). Hair if they are not used to whatever "meet hair" is even more important then a leo. Grips and supports more important to get used to.

Kids competing multiple times a season for years, do not "need" to get used to a leo. And if they do then they need to get used to the actual leo they are wearing, not just any leo.

And I do not see that happen in any other sport or activity that requires a specific dress or uniform. At least none I or my kids have ever been in.
Just silly.
I have seen some kids who were VERY uncomfortable in their leo. They had always worn shorts and did not even know how a leo should fit properly. They constantly tugged at the leo too. The coach has them stop wearing shorts to practice during the season and eventually they all got used to just the leo and the tugging stopped.

Just silly.
I have seen some kids who were VERY uncomfortable in their leo. They had always worn shorts and did not even know how a leo should fit properly. They constantly tugged at the leo too. The coach has them stop wearing shorts to practice during the season and eventually they all got used to just the leo and the tugging stopped.

Most of the college gymnasts practice in tight booty shorts and tank tops, and only wear leos for comps. They do high level skills and get spotted, so it doesn't seem to me like it would be a safety issue. I get the adjustment period for younger gymnasts, and see why a gym might want to have them wear only leos for a short period of time before the season starts, but there's a good 6-8 months between the end of one season and the beginning of another, so in the interim I don't see the harm in letting them be at a comfortable level of modesty for THEM (not for their coach). At minimum, tight fitting shorts over a leo seem to be extremely reasonable, especially for the older girls. And I completely don't understand the ban on a bra strap showing under a practice leo...what is that all about? A sleeveless leo basically has the same straps as a sports bra. So what's the difference? Most girls need some support and some more than others - that's just reality. To me trying to enforce some strange rule on the basis of a coaches antiquated sense of modesty (the kind that denies reality) is a huge problem in the raising of a young person. If not having enough support (and I hardly needed any!) was painful for me during a track practice, I can't imagine how it would be doing gymnastics!

Of course every kid is differnt. Our story.

Started team in tee/tanks and shorts. Coach prepped the L word all summer (leo). We started with a biketard. First time she wore it I had to chase her around the house while she was hysterical and fight her into. Forcibly carried her into the car. Was so worked up she fell asleep before we were out of the driveway. I had to carry her still hysterical self into the gym. Where her coach then had to carry her onto the floor. I cried the whole way to gym thinking WTH.

Another gym mom commented to me: "Maybe she is just not cut out for competitive gymnastics." At which point I said; "She is 5 1/2 she doesn't even know what competitive gymnastic's is."

She happily came off the floor. Wore biketards until L4 except at meets (including mock) where she wore her comp leo. Now L7 she wears a leo and shorts, always, except meets.

Reactions: sce
To me, following the set dress code for whatever sport/activity you choose to pursue is part of the respect you show for the sport. Coming from a ballet background, we learned early on that the respectful and correct way to dress for class was a leotard, pink ballet tights, no undies and hair in a bun.

... and never, ever to be seen outside the dance school without warm-ups over the leotard. It makes me cringe every time I see our gymmies run outside in just a leo and flip-flops.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back