WAG Quitting gymnastics?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anabel

Gymnast
Hi!
I'm a 15 year old gymnast. We don't use the same level system as in US, but I'm about a level 5 gymnast. I've been doing gymnastics from when I was 6, but only started competing a while ago. Since that I've been through many injuries (ankle sprain, muscle sprains, shoulder overuse, elbow dislocation, really painful shins) and I've been to gym for only about half the practice for conditioning. Our coaches always change and they usually aren't very good, and I don't really get along with them aswell as my teammates. So basically no one in my team really likes me and I'm getting behind them as I'm off the game so often. I've become scared of doing jumps on beam after a scary fall and a few close calls, and I totally suck with bars. I hate conditioning over everything as I'm really more flexible than strong. My coach always tells me I should practice my strength more to get stronger but I truly hate it and can't keep up with the others when we do conditioning together even though I push myself every time. I get disappointing scores when I compete, but I used to love this sport until that all hit me.
I really don't know what to do. I'm dreading practice, I count for hours I have to go to the gym again. I also have other hobbies but none of them have ever meant as much to me as gymnastics. I can't switch gyms because they're too far away. I've thought about starting circus, rhythmics or tumbling but we don't have any of them close to us either. So basically artistic gymnastics is the only interesting sport here. My mum regrets she let me train in competitive gymnastics and tells me I should quit. My sister is in the same team as me (she's 2 years younger than me) and better. My dad calls her his little athlete and often suggests me to quit gymnastics and start doing art or focus more on school. But I'm afraid no other sport will make me feel like gymnastics used to. I don't know if I could like gymnastics again when I'll get through my fears etc... I don't wanna go to a rec class either. Either I wanna be fully at it or do something else. I know it's up to me, but I've been thinking about this over and over for half a year. If you have anybody suggestions or could help me make me decision some way, I'll be really thankful!

If you don't truly love it anymore, yes you should quit. But go out on a high. I'm dealing with an injury as well and I have thought about quitting. But go out on your own terms. Don't quit because your body doesn't want it. Quit if you truly don't want it anymore. Where are you from? I know is the UK they have floor and vault, maybe there is an alternative program for you too?

You sound pretty unhappy. I don't know if you really are unhappy or you are just having a bad day and feeling very down on yourself. But if I were to solely gauge it on your post above, I suggest experimenting with other sports. You don't need to quit gymnastics just try other sports for comparison for now. Many gymnasts turn their noses up at cheerleading but many former gymnasts do it and enjoy it. You can also try diving, pole vaulting. There is a world out there outside of gymnastics. You will not know until you try different sports and maybe after trying other things, your next step may become clearer to you.

I would also add that I’m sure it is very difficult for your younger sister to be more advanced than you and I’m sure it doesn’t help to have that pointed out. We have a few sibling pairs at our gym that are in the same situation and I always feel for the older one. If you still love gym, you should keep going until you don’t love it. If you don’t love gym, you should try to find another sport that makes you happy. Try not to let others influence your decision.

Follow your heart. Possibly you can learn to turn the feelings you are currently experiencing into motivation. You are capable of accomplishing your dreams and goals but you must put your head down and work hard harder than you ever have.

If you don't truly love it anymore, yes you should quit. But go out on a high. I'm dealing with an injury as well and I have thought about quitting. But go out on your own terms. Don't quit because your body doesn't want it. Quit if you truly don't want it anymore. Where are you from? I know is the UK they have floor and vault, maybe there is an alternative program for you too?
Thanks for your advice! It's clear my body doesn't want it, but it gets me really down when I recognize I'm injured again, and it affects every other part of my life too. My mum sees I've been really down last year but she doesn't know anything about gymnastics to offer a helping hand. I'll just continue trying to figure this out! I'm from Norway, and we have this program like excel where we can choose some of the skills we want to compete. I would possibly be moving to that next year if I don't quit.

You sound pretty unhappy. I don't know if you really are unhappy or you are just having a bad day and feeling very down on yourself. But if I were to solely gauge it on your post above, I suggest experimenting with other sports. You don't need to quit gymnastics just try other sports for comparison for now. Many gymnasts turn their noses up at cheerleading but many former gymnasts do it and enjoy it. You can also try diving, pole vaulting. There is a world out there outside of gymnastics. You will not know until you try different sports and maybe after trying other things, your next step may become clearer to you.
Thanks for your answer! I've actually tried many sports. Football, badminton, figure skating, horseback riding, running&long jump, swimming, ballet, street dance, show dance and flamenco. So there have been many sports but I've always come back to gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back