Parents Keeping it all in perspective...our kids are amazing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mrs. Puma

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
Puma Jr and every other CB kid is amazing. Long story short, I like to run and had a big goal for a race yesterday and did not meet it. It sucked. Like cry in the shower feeling like a failure sucked. But later as I was licking my wounds and analyzing, I thought of how amazing gymnasts are. They go through this all the time! Working so hard for weeks and months, then one wobble could spell the end of their goal. And they are KIDS. I’m only disappointed for myself. I’m not worried about a coach or teammate or parent being disappointed. I can rationalize that it’s just a stupid race and life goes on. I’m seriously so proud of their poise in defeat and determination to try again. Also, it really is about personal goals. A girl I know who is much younger than me met her goal yesterday and I was honestly so excited for her. I beat her by a landslide. But she met HER goal and I was psyched for her. Another girl I know (this one older than me) was super disappointed at a race earlier this year, but she destroyed me. As excited as I was that I PR’d that day and snagged 2nd in my age group (I sometimes have a shot at small races), I felt awful for her and could empathize without it ruining my own “victory”. Our young gymmies learn these lessons young! They are an inspiration :)

It's true. I so wish they understood how amazing they are. I always tell my daughter she makes me so proud the minute she salutes, before she even starts her routine, and I think she thinks I'm nuts. :) But she does. After she fought back last year from some major fears and coaching issues and warmed up her ROBHSBHS in a meet for the first time, I was bawling in the stands. Meet hadn't even started.

And sorry about your race....good luck meeting your goal next time!! You can do it!!

I actually can often feel the anxiety with the kids as they do their beam. (And who would blame them?) I couldn't imagine trying to learn it day in and day out, falling, needing that determination in yourself to get back up and make the corrections, make the improvements, and keep going. And then on each event. More than inspiring.

And you are inspiring. You try to do what I probably would dare to. :)

We went out to eat after sectionals. I had been an absolute wreck so I was craving truffle fries and a hamburger. My 9 year old ordered a dinner salad. With kale and brussels sprouts.

When the waiter came he tried to give me the salad. I told him it was my kids. He was so surprised he gave her a fist bump.

She inspires me every day. It's a really special thing as a parent to get to the point that you are inspired by your children. Im humbled and in awe of how lucky I am to be able to watch them chase their dreams.

They do things with their body every day that 99% of America cant, and they are just kids! Facing fears like a boss, drill after drill.

Im sure she learned alot of it from you. Congrats on creating a human who has the resiliency to get back up again and keep trying.. shower cry and all. Good luck on your next race. Failure fuels determination ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back