sanctioned vs. non-sanctioned meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sheplaysinthechalk

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
What is the difference?

I know that there is usag, aau, amerikids - and probably a million other leagues that gymnasts can compete in...

What is the real difference between, say, a sanctioned usag meet and a non-sanctioned XYZ-league meet?

I think that it is not a "formal" meet. For instance, the scores can't count toward qualifying for state.

Oh yeah, like some do non-sanctioined in lieu of insurance. Probably less expensive to run.

Sorry, I had to add that I see alot of gyms run non-sanctioned meets for Levels 1-3.

Last edited:
I think that it is not a "formal" meet. For instance, the scores can't count toward qualifying for state.

Oh yeah, like some do non-sanctioined in lieu of insurance. Probably less expensive to run.

If the scores don't count, then theoretically, couldn't a child do, USAG level 5, but also compete Level 6 or 7 at an unsanctioned meet?

Or, could an athlete compete Level 7 at an unsanctioned meet as a "let's see how it goes" situation, and then if for some reason they didn't want to compete L7 again, bump down to level 6?

I am sure a lot of in house meets are non-sanctioined. Especially if only the house team is involved. But I don't see very many non-sanctioned L5/6 & Never any optional.

An athlete can always move down provided they have not COMPETED at state. CLub policies would always apply of course, but USAG allows this.

For example - we have a parent here that posts. Their athlete competed at 1 meet last year where she competed L5, then competed L6 (did fabulous hee hee) got her qualifying score, but then competed L5 the rest of the season. This season she went right to L7.

I had no idea that usag was that way. I was under the impression that if the child competed usag L5, then they had to continue with level 5 until they met the qualifying score or whatever it is that would mandate or qualify the child for the next level. I've always been under the impression that they weren't allowed to step down a level after they have competed in a sanctioned competition.

So, then let's take my dd as an example.

Let's assume that she's ready for L5 when she's 7. Goes to a USAG sanctioned meet. Does well - makes the qualifying score for L5 state. Then suddenly, can't do kip on the bars. She can step down and compete L4 for the rest of the season? And quailfy for state?

I only know the USAG rules, I am sure they are different with every league..

A sanctioned meet has a USAG certified meet director, who by applying for the sanction and paying the fee, agrees to run the competition by USAG rules- start/end time, # of competitors per session, # of judges, etc. The coaches and judges on the floor must be a professional USAG member with background check, safety cert, etc. The sanction also guarantees your event secondary insurance.

The sanction is also required to "Count" the minimum AA qual. score per level (in order to score out), as well as qualify to sectionals, state, etc.

I guess an athlete could compete all of those levels at a sanctioned meet, as long as the sessions were in order, competing and getting te required mobility score in Level 5, then Level 6, then L7, etc. This is very, very rare and would be for a very unique sitauation, and Im sure it would have to be cleared w/ the meet director beforehand.

As far as attending a non-sanctined meet in order to try out a level, I'm you possibly could USAG rule wise, but that would be up to the coach/ gym and their policies. I really can't think of any benefit for an athlete to go and "try out" a level- because in most program all the athletes are competing at their appropriate level and would not be as successful in another level.

Sorry so long- hope it helps.

So, then let's take my dd as an example.

Let's assume that she's ready for L5 when she's 7. Goes to a USAG sanctioned meet. Does well - makes the qualifying score for L5 state. Then suddenly, can't do kip on the bars. She can step down and compete L4 for the rest of the season? And quailfy for state?

Absolutely she could by USAG rules as long as her coaches approve... but you may have a harder time convincing her to step down LOL.

The only time she could not step down is if she competed at a L5 state meet.

...and there are even some circumstances where a gymnast could step down after state, ie injury, etc...

Hi sheplaysinthe chalk,
Just saw your last post, I didnt undertand your question. Where I live, when a gymnast competes in a sectional (must get a minimum of 31. to qualify to sectional) she is not allowed to drop back. I think its different everywhere.

Im sure your coaches would make sure she was really ready before they would put her in a L5 meet- so I wouldnt really worry about dropping back at such a low level. Sometimes it happens at higher levels if a gymnast is injured and cant progress in time for state/ regionals and drops back so they can at least compete at state.

Hi sheplaysinthe chalk,
Just saw your last post, I didnt undertand your question. Where I live, when a gymnast competes in a sectional (must get a minimum of 31. to qualify to sectional) she is not allowed to drop back. I think its different everywhere.

This is a USAG policy. After sectionals, a compulsory gymnast cannot drop back, although I guess they can before. If there's no sectional then the state has to come up with some declaration date where no one can drop back after it. The optional rules have been weird, I'm sure for awhile they were allowing it with no petition but now you need to petition as far as I know. After the sectional if they don't qualify for state, they could petition to drop back for the next season but I can't really imagine where that would often be the choice for most programs over just training at the same level until the next season starts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back