WAG Why Does Shawn Johnson Lie So Much In Her Speeches?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Whoa. Hold on a minute. She is you tubing about her miscarriage?!?!?!?!
O.M.G.
I am speechless.

There was some kind of video montage she and her husband did- starting with her finding out she was pregnant, to telling her husband, to the ultrasound with the doctor saying she miscarried. While some of it seemed set up, the emotion came across as real, in my opinion.

Ok....i dont watch vlogs or anything, but if this is indeed the case, it might be a good idea to be friendlier in person...that is crazy. Hopefully they have other jobs. I never even thought of that!

I don't think her husband has ever had a job besides the NFL (which he has never made the final 53-man roster so he's never gotten paid more than like 5k from any team). He said in a video that YouTube will be his new job. And btw I don't dislike Shawn at all I just found her comments very curious. I wonder if it went down worse than she described it with the sponsors.

It's wild how clueless people can be about gymnastics. Shawn said when she announced her retirement just before the Olympic trials (after skipping Classics and Nationals) her agent and all her corporate sponsors were angry and shocked. I think she was being truthful about that, just think it's hilarious that everyone at all those companies and even her own gymnastics agent knew so little about the sport that they still thought she was going to make the team in July after skipping Classics and Nationals and not showing any signs of readiness. It was clear to even casual gym followers that Shawn did not fit anywhere on that team.

The miscarriage thing really rubbed me the wrong way. What bothered me even more was in her next video, she listed all the tv shows and magazine that she was on, or talked about on after. To me that’s someting super personal, and the whole way It was filmed made me a little suspicious. I can’t imagine telling a camera I’m pregnant before my husband.

I think it’s hard for a lot of the gymnasts who have gone pro to find “real careers” after they retire and that it’s hard for must to stay relevant as “celebrities.” I feel bad in a way, but I also think they’re exploiting their personal lives for a dollar. Shawn and her husband also openly talk about how they’re struggling financially, which also bothers me.....

At a signing.............. You have 300plus autographs to sign............ Its gets old. Its sign, a quick photo and go.............

If you are expecting more then that. Its pretty much guaranteed to be a disappointment. We were like 150 in line. I could only imagine how done our signer was at 250 and higher.

I don't believe they are struggling financially they just reviewed the iPhone X, for a grand a piece and Shawn was not thrilled with the phone. I would kill my hubby, if I had one, if he spent that much on new phones without discussing it with me.

It also bothered me in the miscarriage video when Andrew complained about the cost of the doctor visit, that wasn't covered under insurance. That could have been edited out. I think they are so used to taping that they video everything personal and decide what to share afterwards.

I was a little annoyed that my DD found the video after Shawn posted about it on Instagram. I watched it after she did. DD is 13 so really it’s fine, but I imagine some parents needed to explain things to younger kids. Not just the pregnancy/miscarriage itself but the rest of the nuance in the video, too.

It was a bit of a learning moment for me.

I’m not a fan of vloggers/vlogging in general. I think it often feels attention-seeking, etc. I can’t imagine essentially selling my ‘day to day life’.

Anyway. I generally think Shawn is pretty ok. Not a big fan of the husband. I don’t think I care for the way he speaks to her or his demeanor in general. That said, who knows how he actually is in real life - I’m sure neither is their true self on YouTube. They’re selling a product - not actually showing their ‘real life’.

My DD did a meet and greet with Shawn and Alicia Sacramone a few years ago. Shawn didn’t say a word, just signed what DD had and glanced up for a quick half smile. Alicia was friendly, kind, and even asked my DD a question (which is her favorite event?). So I’m not sure we disliked Shawn so much as we’d been super impressed with Alicia. :)

It also bothered me in the miscarriage video when Andrew complained about the cost of the doctor visit, that wasn't covered under insurance. That could have been edited out. I think they are so used to taping that they video everything personal and decide what to share afterwards.

That reminds me he also complained about Shawn wanting to spend $500 in Anthropologie or someplace because she was returning $500 of stuff. Shawn is obviously the main earner in that relationship so he shouldn't be complaining.

I only made it about half way thru one of their videos. Both of them kind of rubbed me the wrong way...no interest in continuing to watch.

I admit that I stopped following her on YouTube and Instagram after her april fools joke about being pregnant (she posted a picture of herself wearing a fake baby bump and had everyone thinking she was pregnant). I HATE those kinds of jokes, as someone that struggled to get pregnant I don't think joking about being pregnant is ever funny.

I have always got the impression that for Shawn, life has always been about Shawn. Only child, first majorly successful gymnast from her gym etc... It is no wonder the other gymnasts didn't really interact with her socially. For a girl who liked to harp on about how normal her life, she came across as very childish compared to her peers, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing but it is strange for someone who liked to mention how normal her life was.

“(On the 2008 Olympic team) I was an outcast,” Johnson told the magazine. “I was the youngest, led a normal life and, I hate to say it, I was good. It’s kind of a jealousy thing. Then when I got (‘Dancing With the Stars’), it was hard because it was (teammate) Alicia (Sacramone)’s dream to be on it.”

It is no surprise the other girls didn't really get on with her (or the kids at school) Simone's a winner and seems to have plenty of friends, perhaps the issue is Shawn's personality, and not everyone else.

also spot another 'incorrect statement'

I feel compelled to share this... we were at a big gymnastics event weekend and one evening my daughter and others were hanging around the hotel “stalking” and hoping to get autographs. Shawn and many other former olumpicans were all hanging out in the hotel bar socializing and of course the girls couldn’t go in (bc it was a bar ). It wasn’t really the time or place for signing - kind of like their version of a college reunion I think — so it was understandable that the gymnasts were kind of ignoring the little girls. But Shawn, according to my dd, gave them a big smile, called them over (in a “don’t be shy!” kind of way), came out, and signed. It meant the world to these girls and went a long way with me, too.

At a signing.............. You have 300plus autographs to sign............ Its gets old. Its sign, a quick photo and go.............

If you are expecting more then that. Its pretty much guaranteed to be a disappointment. We were like 150 in line. I could only imagine how done our signer was at 250 and higher.

I agree and besides I'm sure they're still on the hook if they're sick or their dog just died or who knows what. Also, in many cases these are 16-21 year olds. It seems a little harsh to judge them totally from that.

I have always got the impression that for Shawn, life has always been about Shawn. Only child, first majorly successful gymnast from her gym etc... It is no wonder the other gymnasts didn't really interact with her socially. For a girl who liked to harp on about how normal her life, she came across as very childish compared to her peers, I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing but it is strange for someone who liked to mention how normal her life was.

“(On the 2008 Olympic team) I was an outcast,” Johnson told the magazine. “I was the youngest, led a normal life and, I hate to say it, I was good. It’s kind of a jealousy thing. Then when I got (‘Dancing With the Stars’), it was hard because it was (teammate) Alicia (Sacramone)’s dream to be on it.”

It is no surprise the other girls didn't really get on with her (or the kids at school) Simone's a winner and seems to have plenty of friends, perhaps the issue is Shawn's personality, and not everyone else.

Sloan was the youngest...and never met a soul with anythig negative to say about Bridget.

I agree, but it would be good to be polite. For whatever reason, she really wasn't that day. And at this event, there really wasn't a line per se....at all. At another location, my dd really wanted to meet Kyla Ross. I am not into this wait in line thing, but she had some real reasons that were very valid to her for meeting her, so we waited.....over two hours....I read a great book during that time and she did homework....and Kyla was just lovely. And we were literally 5th from the last in line.

Yes I know they are probably over it more often than not, but it's like models on the runway....it's a job, and you need to perform. And they can definitely choose not to do these signings, there are many out there who don't do them. I would never want to be famous and have to sign autographs because I honestly wouldn't be able to pull it off in terms of doing a public signing with people waiting in line to see me. I would start saying silly things and get myself into trouble. Obviously I am not famous, lol. But if I were, I would opt out of those kind of situations. :D

I agree, but it would be good to be polite. For whatever reason, she really wasn't that day. And at this event, there really wasn't a line per se....at all. At another location, my dd really wanted to meet Kyla Ross. I am not into this wait in line thing, but she had some real reasons that were very valid to her for meeting her, so we waited.....over two hours....I read a great book during that time and she did homework....and Kyla was just lovely. And we were literally 5th from the last in line.

Yes I know they are probably over it more often than not, but it's like models on the runway....it's a job, and you need to perform. And they can definitely choose not to do these signings, there are many out there who don't do them. I would never want to be famous and have to sign autographs because I honestly wouldn't be able to pull it off in terms of doing a public signing with people waiting in line to see me. I would start saying silly things and get myself into trouble. Obviously I am not famous, lol. But if I were, I would opt out of those kind of situations. :D
I don't think I have heard a comment from anyone that has ever interacted with Kyla in person that didn't use the word lovely.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Shawn's personality, I believe her that the others were jealous. There's an old Facebook post from way back where Nastia and Shayla talk smack about Shawn, saying they would never be in a picture with her.

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpg
    IMG_3758.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 199
I don't think there's anything wrong with Shawn's personality, I believe her that the others were jealous. There's an old Facebook post from way back where Nastia and Shayla talk smack about Shawn, saying they would never be in a picture with her.

Doesn't it actually say Shawn would never be in a picture with them? You could easily interpret that as saying Shawn was stuck up and not that they were mean or jealous of her. I have zero interest in Shawn so not defending her, but I didn't read that the same way. I read it more as she thinks she is way too cool to ever be in a picture with us.

Wow - I didn't know she posted that stuff about the miscarriage, fake pregnancy, etc. She can't find a better way to earn a living than posting private stuff like that on YouTube for views? The misstating of verifiable information like if she was at a particular world championship or not is also pretty pathetic. At her age she should know better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back