MAG Educate me on Future Stars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

RDTmom

Proud Parent
My son’s coach just got the go ahead to start a Future Stars program and he wants my son to be one of the kids who does it. What are we looking at? Wanting to know what I can tell the kid so he can make an informed decision about doing it or not. He’s 8, summer birthday, I think he would be the only one his age training for it (the other two boys are older).

SO he would be training for 9 yo future stars I think. It is a good program, whether he ever competes it or not, to work on basics and skills. There are compulsary routines for each age level, and the typically a couple of clinics, a state meet and a regional meet. Once he hits 10, he can try to qualify for nationals. THe ages for nationals next year are 10, 11, and 12.

The future stars "season" is usually Sept-Nov for the meets, with clinics occuring at various times in the summer and early fall, depending on your state. All of our boys train the routines, but only some compete them.

Thank you! Kid seems interested after watching some videos of other kids. We’ll just be waiting to see how much time and money it will cost and have to see if it’s a good choice for him.

Not sure how your gym works, but other than the additional meet fees, we do not have any thing more. It is just part of their training.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Since I don’t think everyone will be doing it, it is extra training hours. Which is part of the concern. He is already doing 9 hours/week currently.

Reactions: sce
My son did it this past year. He was 7, competing age 8 for the FS season (its their age in the next competitive season so he will be actual age 8, competing Future Stars 9 this upcoming season like your son would be). The 9 year old FS routines have skills similar to Level 6 with addition focus on strength and flexibility.

Our gym starts future stars training in late May. They had additional practices here and there but mostly just focused on those during regular practices since it was off season/uptraining time anyway. Then as competition neared there were some more extra.

My son went to a clinic for FS but did not make it on to state testing. Still, the program helped him so much with form and body awareness. Hoping he geta to do it again this year

My son did it this past year. He was 7, competing age 8 for the FS season (its their age in the next competitive season so he will be actual age 8, competing Future Stars 9 this upcoming season like your son would be). The 9 year old FS routines have skills similar to Level 6 with addition focus on strength and flexibility.

Our gym starts future stars training in late May. They had additional practices here and there but mostly just focused on those during regular practices since it was off season/uptraining time anyway. Then as competition neared there were some more extra.

My son went to a clinic for FS but did not make it on to state testing. Still, the program helped him so much with form and body awareness. Hoping he geta to do it again this year

Useful info! Thank you! And yes, I do like the idea of helping his form and body awareness. He had his first meet today and that was definitely where he lost a lot of points, I think.

My kid never got beyond regionals, but as one of his coaches told him, "the worst thing that will happen is that you'll get better at gymnastics."

Very true! R loves this sport and we want to make sure he continues to be able to do it for as long as he does love it. There’s nothing else he would rather do (sports-wise at least! He’s a typical 8 year old obsessed with Minecraft and Harry Potter). I think he’s excited about the skills he would get to learn.

My DS does FS, it's an extra 2 hours a week. I was told it would be $50/month extra, but I'm only getting charged $25. :) At his old gym, it was $100 extra for 3 hrs/week training. DS only has 2 years of FS eligibility, but he's doing it more to prep for competing tech sequences in L8 next year.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back