Other Sports

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Are you guys ever afraid of letting your kids do other sports so they will not get injured and be out of gym and competitions.
I'm reluctent to take my daughter skiing because I'm afraid of that.Especially now since comp season started.
This threat is also intented for coaches,gymnasts etc.
I would like to hear your opinion.

LOL!! That has crossed my mind!!! I was thinking of having Dani do cheerleading this year--her old gym has a Level 4.2 which means level 4 stunting but level 2 tumbling. The tumbling is only BHS's but the stunting is Level 4--pretty advanced and she would be up in the air in full extension full twisting down out of the stunt. I thought more about it and realized that cheer can be a risky sport and I wasn't willing to take that risk. If she fell out of a stunt and hurt herself she would be out of cheer AND gymnastics!!!

I just recently let her participate in roller skating and ice skating parties because she was being invited to so many of them. I figured she is a kid and it wouldn't be fair to keep her from all of that--you can only protect them so much. I just make sure she is careful and always tell her to be cautious and not to do anything too crazy!!

She just started riding her 2 wheeler this past summer and you wouldn't believe how many scraped knees and elbows she walked into the gym with!!

So, I totally hear ya on the sports--especially skiing. I would keep her on the kiddie bunny slope if she was mine! I'm a bit over-protective!!!

My kids ski, snowboard and skate a lot, I do worry about the injuries, but then I worry about injuries in the gym. I figure that they need to be well rounded athletically as well as academically and for me that means letting them do other things.

Middle kid is an amazing skier and she was made to choose between ski racing and comp gym when she was 7 as she couldn't do both. I cannot imagine taking away her ski days, she just loves it.

It is tough, but for us necessary.

My parents have never let me go snow skiing and that's something I've always wanted to do!!

I do have a record of injuries so I completly understand. But the day I'm done with diving in college I am going to Colorado to go skiing! I don't mind too much because it gives me something to look foward to.

My swim and dive team for my school is having a Christmas party on sunday at the ice chalet and I don't think I will be ice skating, but it's quite tempting!

I never had time to do other sports. I went skiing a few times when I visited my grandparents; otherwise, I had enough on my plate with gymnastics, piano, violin, and orchestra rehearsals. Maybe you could count swimming; we had to swim in PE in high school, and I took swimming lessons for a few years during the summer. Now that I'm about done with gymnastics, I've started figure skating, and that is a ton of fun! Being comfortable with going backwards and balancing on one foot is a great benefit. :)

Life has plenty of risks, and you should minimize them within reason... but it's also nice to experience new things. After all, driving to the gym is probably more dangerous than skiing on a bunny hill.

Well I apparently have some special brand of coordination that applies ONLY to gymnastics, and can't really find any other sports I'm even reasonably competent at. It's kind of strange.

I think if they really want to do something, they should be able to, but in season they should be aware of the injury risks if it's an unfamiliar activity to them that has an unusual level of risk (i.e. running and kicking and throwing aren't terribly unusual movements. Skiing is a new thing for many). There's an opportunity cost. But there's no point in putting everything on hold for gymnastics. Even in the worst case scenario, gymnastics will still be there. They're only going to have one childhood and they are already doing gymnastics. I wouldn't completely bar them from reasonable activity they really want to do but they should be aware that they risking missing parts of the competitive season.

I'm definetly not ruling out other activities.She rollerblades and rides her bike all summer long.Has gone icescating before too.It kind of just makes me feel uneasy.
There is also the time factor ofcourse.With all those pratices a week it also leaves hardly any time for other things.Atleast during comp season.

Dd still plays competitive soccer and it is scary because the team is a U-13 girls team and when she does play she may come up to their shoulders if she lucky because she is so petite. I get very nervous when she is playing, but dh is the coach and I know she will be ok.

Quite honestly if she is going to get hurt, I rather it be in a sport or activity other than the gym because I wouldn't have to worry about mental issues when she returned, it's not like she would fear a skill due to an injury - I guess I'm just a realist in my thoughts! :p

I think when you start not letting them do something because of the gym, that is when you enable them to start to resenting the gym. I guess you just have to have faith that all will be fine. ;)

Its not that i'm not allowed to do other sports although my coaches would kill me if I came in with a broken leg from skiing, its that I know I would hurt myself so I don't want to do it. lol. I have been ice skating a few times though. The only sport I do besides gymnastics is cross country and that could give me overuse injuries like gymnastics so they probably aren't the best two to be doing at the same time...

I think this is totally different. This is your personal choice, you as the gymnast. You are making the decision yourself, it's not like you want to do something and your parents are saying no because they don't want you to get hurt.

I'm sure you see the difference. Luckily, you know what works best for you and do your best to stay healthy.

Its not that i'm not allowed to do other sports although my coaches would kill me if I came in with a broken leg from skiing, its that I know I would hurt myself so I don't want to do it. lol. I have been ice skating a few times though. The only sport I do besides gymnastics is cross country and that could give me overuse injuries like gymnastics so they probably aren't the best two to be doing at the same time...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back