Coaches Closed Shoulder BHS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have 2 girls, both have had their bhs for about a year, and both have terribly closed shoulders. Both struggle terribly with shoulder flexibility (one worked with a PT briefly and has specific exercises to address the issue) and obviously addressing that issue is our first course of action, but I'm curious if anyone has some bhs specific drills as that seems to be the skill where the problem is most problematic. Though ideas for more shoulder flex are also welcome!

We have tried bhs-stop in handstand-fall to stomach on a mat (spotted), but one of the girls cannot do it at all, so I'm hoping for some other ideas that might help her.

Have you tried having stopping them horizontal and having them actually reach for the floor? They shouldn't be in an actual handstand when their hands hit so maybe slowing them down and having them feel the arch position would help. Also, bridge rocks or bridge hold with elevated feet and shoulders being pressed open might help.

Here is one BHS drill I love and builds on the above ideas -- Handstand near a wall with just their toes on the wall. Instead of being right next to the wall in a vertical HS have them keep their hands a foot away from the wall (more or less depending on their size to start) so they are in an arch hold. Have them practice lifting their feet off the wall while keeping them squeezed together (this is essential and what makes it hard - make sure they don't kick away). They are moving from their arch to their HS (or through the HS to the snapdown) and building shoulder and core muscles. Have them gradually move their hands further and further away from the wall making their arch deeper and the drill harder as they increase their strength. This is good because they are using their own strength which gives them an idea of how hard it is going to feel while also breaking down the skill and getting used to the "stretch" shape.

can they hold a handstand with open shoulders? if not then start there or you are spinning your wheels.

can they hold a handstand with open shoulders? if not then start there or you are spinning your wheels.
She can, I'm starting to think it's more a fear thing than anything else. She also tends to close her shoulders when going into back walkovers and doesn't always make those. Something about going backwards just makes her tense up and close her shoulders. Her standing back handsprings are better than her ro-bhs. She is a very anxious kid with lots of fear issues, but has had a recent surge in confidence that has helped along with tons of repetitions of back handsprings of all kinds- drills, spotted, Tumbltrak, on her own. It has made some difference as about 50% of the time she is doing a pretty decent, stretched, open shoulder bhs. The other 50% is the closed-shoulder mess, but better than where we were!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back