WAG Some news on Geddert himself - suspended

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think you may be reading in to this. I read it as making noise and distraction, similar to what fans often do when the opposing team is set up at the freethrow line in basketball.
Yep. Our gym doesnt do it but we know of other gyms who do and it is definitwly not considered mean.

Yep. Our gym doesnt do it but we know of other gyms who do and it is definitwly not considered mean.
I actually watched a local gyms 2 coaches stand directly behind the judges when our gymnast was waiting to salute, ( she had transferred to our gym 6 months earlier from them after they told her mom she had zero chance at ever making it to optionals.) I couldn't believe it, they were clearly trying to intimidate her. It worked she blew her routine. She then went to state and won AA , helped us win state team and got to carry the giant trophie home past her old coaches... it was a good ending :). She then went L7 amd won regionals ...

I actually watched a local gyms 2 coaches stand directly behind the judges when our gymnast was waiting to salute, ( she had transferred to our gym 6 months earlier from them after they told her mom she had zero chance at ever making it to optionals.) I couldn't believe it, they were clearly trying to intimidate her. It worked she blew her routine. She then went to state and won AA , helped us win state team and got to carry the giant trophie home past her old coaches... it was a good ending :). She then went L7 amd won regionals ...
You misunderstood me. I meant the team did it to their own teammates in practice to try and distract them. :) It was so they could hold their focus. They all waved noodles, said funny things. My friends daughter said the girls all have fun with it and the coach is right there making sure no one crosses the line.

You misunderstood me. I meant the team did it to their own teammates in practice to try and distract them. :)

Heckle - interrupt with derisive or aggressive comments or abuse.

Are they just making a lot of noise or making specific comments? How does your dd feel about the heckling?

Ok, heckle was probably a bit of a strong term. No one is making rude comments at the girls. The coaches and other girls simply make random noise and clapping. Maybe cheer loudly for someone on another event. Sometimes a coach will walk by in the line of sight of the gymnast who is showing. The idea being to replicate the chaos of the noise of a meet. DD takes it as a challenge to not notice the attempts to distract.

The noise was crazy at DD's last meet. The session was 1/2 XP and the other 1/2 was young golds and those parents were wild. There were signs in the stands, parents up and down right by beam and vault while girls were competing, whistling, etc. Usually if there aren't enough XP's for a full session, they are with the upper Optionals and those meets are much more respectful. No one wants to distract a girl at those levels.

We saw this happen at a meet with a level 7 girl in bars on our team. The old team was laughing because her warmups were so bad, and the old coaches stood there to try that intimidation.....when the girl got an amazing score, my husband thought it was awesome...and the old coaches were furious. Man, some people....

Ah yes, heckling means literally yelling abuse at someone. Not just trying to distract them. You can see why people got upset.

ETA: Too slow with the keyboard. See you've already addressed that. ;)

I've seen college gymnasts train distractions at intersquad training to try and improve concentration and block out noise at big events

I absolutely don’t agree with pushing.

But heckling, yes. Like it or not, yelling is allowed for the crowd in gymnastics. It’s not tennis.

Yeah the typical gym crowd doesn’t heckle, but a little kid is free to scream “GO GABBYYYY!” at the most unsuspected moment. On my high school team I got in trouble for asking my teammates not to scream at me while I was on beam, lol.

We saw this happen at a meet with a level 7 girl in bars on our team. The old team was laughing because her warmups were so bad, and the old coaches stood there to try that intimidation.....when the girl got an amazing score, my husband thought it was awesome...and the old coaches were furious. Man, some people....

Don’t be mad, thank them. She can probably withstand almost any distraction now.

Michael Phelp's coach once stepped on his goggles before a meet. Another time he deliberately told him the wrong time for dinner the night before. All of this to prepare him for international competition. The girls can handle a little extra noise.

You misunderstood me. I meant the team did it to their own teammates in practice to try and distract them. :) It was so they could hold their focus. They all waved noodles, said funny things. My friends daughter said the girls all have fun with it and the coach is right there making sure no one crosses the line.
That us not really heckling. Heckling has a negative connotation.

Empowerment - the process of gaining freedom and power to do what you want or to control what happens to you. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/empowerment

If the child / athlete is in control and able to say “No” or “Stop” or “Please change how you are doing it” or “Explain this to me first", then __________________________ probably falls on the side of okay.
Fill in the blank:
distraction training
skill training
medical treatment
interpersonal interactions​

If the adult / coach / medical personnel doesn’t stop or change what they are doing, then the adult / coach / medical personnel wants something more than the child / athlete does.

Empowerment - the process of gaining freedom and power to do what you want or to control what happens to you. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/empowerment

If the child / athlete is in control and able to say “No” or “Stop” or “Please change how you are doing it” or “Explain this to me first", then __________________________ probably falls on the side of okay.
Fill in the blank:
distraction training
skill training
medical treatment
interpersonal interactions​

If the adult / coach / medical personnel doesn’t stop or change what they are doing, then the adult / coach / medical personnel wants something more than the child / athlete does.

Love this. I'll be sharing this with my children.

So yep, was at a meet and the opposing team mom (same kid as the other story ) yelled at the top of her lungs "go -----" in the middle of her beam routine at point blank range . Her mom was really upset become it was blantant and over the top... no one would yell at any athlete on beam that close and that loud, let alone a kid who wasn't on your team anymore. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in gyms

So yep, was at a meet and the opposing team mom (same kid as the other story ) yelled at the top of her lungs "go -----" in the middle of her beam routine at point blank range . Her mom was really upset become it was blantant and over the top... no one would yell at any athlete on beam that close and that loud, let alone a kid who wasn't on your team anymore. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree in gyms

If you don’t happen to already know the answer, you can usually play the “find the tree this apple fell from” game with a crazy high degree of accuracy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back