BHS Help!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am only level 2 but i have began on trying to do BHS on tramp.
But i don't feel comfortable trying them yet.
Is there any drills or things i can do to lead up to completing one.
The quicker i learn one on tramp, the quicker i can learn one on floor.

Please help:)

I'd like any kid I coach to be able to do back drop pullover and back drop to handstand before a back handspring.

Are you working bridge kickovers, backbends, walkovers, and limbers?

I also prefer any gymnast I have to be able to perform a bounder or flyspring on trampoline or tumbl-trak before working the back handspring or at the same time.

I'd like any kid I coach to be able to do back drop pullover and back drop to handstand before a back handspring.

Are you working bridge kickovers, backbends, walkovers, and limbers?

I also prefer any gymnast I have to be able to perform a bounder or flyspring on trampoline or tumbl-trak before working the back handspring or at the same time.

I can do a back drop to pull over. i havnt yet tried a back drop to handstand(which i'll have to try later) but i can do forward handsprings realy clean and bridge kickovers. I can do forward walkovers but have learnt back walkovers. and i can do limbers.

Am I ready to try it?
How do you position yourself when your about to jump back?

Perhaps, but I could only reccomend in a gym with a spot. Do barrel/octagon backhandsprings and try them in a pit before taking it to a tramp.

If you can forward walkovers, you might as well get your back walkover.

One of my favorite BHS drills to learn the jump is to stand in front of one of the L4 vaulting mats with your back to the mat about one to two steps in front of it (use your coach to get the right distance). You'll sit back and jump and try to get the majority of your body onto the mat landing on a flat back. If you're shorter you might have to jump off a springboard. I really like this drill to work on the strength you need to jump and to learn to not throw your head back.

One of my favorite BHS drills to learn the jump is to stand in front of one of the L4 vaulting mats with your back to the mat about one to two steps in front of it (use your coach to get the right distance). You'll sit back and jump and try to get the majority of your body onto the mat landing on a flat back. If you're shorter you might have to jump off a springboard. I really like this drill to work on the strength you need to jump and to learn to not throw your head back.

Thanks for that.. i can't wait to try next time i go to gym =]
THANX A TONE:D!

if you can do a back limber you could easily do a BHS. just bend your knees like you're sitting in a chair while bringing your arms by your side then, jump and bring your arms by your ears, arch your back and then pull your feet over. it's pretty much like doing a fast back limber. Good luck!! :) and be careful!!

if you can do a back limber you could easily do a BHS. just bend your knees like you're sitting in a chair while bringing your arms by your side then, jump and bring your arms by your ears, arch your back and then pull your feet over. it's pretty much like doing a fast back limber. Good luck!! :) and be careful!!

Thank you.. I position myself ready to go back then i get scared that my hands wont be able to find the ground, i guess i just gotta get over the fear.
Thanx for the advice, i'll try and learn one over the summer =]

If you have a pit in your gym, I use this for L3's.

TumblTrak - Back Handspring - Back Handspring from a Pit Pillow into a pit - Tumbling Training Tips & Videos

When they can do the first one with a spot, then I let them do it without one.

Quite often they stand on a cheese and then do the BHS into the pit. Then they will stand on the top of the BHS and BHS landing their hands on the bottom of cheese landing their feet in the pit. From there they do it standing on the edge of the pit onto the cheese mat or I just spot them down the cheese or on trampoline or tumbl-trak.

All of this is spotted first.

I am not responsible for any injuries. Do any of these with a competent spotter first ( a coach, not a fellow gymnast ).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back