WAG JO Code changes 2018-2022

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Beam seems the hardest place to get this bonus. E skills on beam are crazy. I think the most common would be an Onodi and a layout to two feet. But then we are talking standing back fulls or Arabians or front tuck half. For dismounts it would be like a triple twist or a double front.

On bars you see lots of Es out and about. Same with floor. Beam Es seem to be much more rare.

I do know a girl that does a double front dismount and it is beautiful but everyone in a place gasps in full when she does it.

My new COP arrived in the mail yesterday. I am sure the first round of corrections is already underway and will be issued shortly, rendering everything below wrong. ;)

I am happy to say that the someone on the committee must have had the same issues with the L6/L7 vault mat gap as I did. There is no required (or illustrated) gap and the deduction for landing between the vault and mat stack has been removed. There is now a minimum vault height of 115cm; this shouldn't affect many people, but I did see a few L6 vaults at 105 & 110 cm this year. I am no longer terrified of judging L6/L7 and can join the debate about much this will/won't help improve L8 vault.

I did not see anything about how the 'B' split leap on beam requires 180 split and anything less is devalued to an 'A'. I only saw the standard insufficient split deductions. This will make it much simpler for judges and also for coaches - less risk of using this as a counting B and missing it some meets.

It looks like some of the L6 SRs got a bit tougher, but this should only affect those who were doing the very minimum required. Bars - salto dismount required. Beam - uses last year's XP acro requirement plus salto/aerial dismount required. Floor - the three element series must include two flight skills.

The composition deductions for "up to level" at L8/9/10 are spelled out in much greater detail with specifics for each half tenth from 0 to -0.2. I'm sure there will be disagreement about whether USAG chose the right difficulty for each deduction, but at least it should improve clarity.

Beam - uses last year's XP acro requirement
Does this mean a series plus a flight skill (either separately or together)?

It almost sounds like with the L6 changes, it’s basically the same as L7 in actual requirements?

Did they change the minimum requirements for L7 and 8?

Last edited:
XP is either a flight or a connection, in my opinion it is a better jump to L7 than L6 is. This seems like a great change.
Yes, I agree, I like this one! L6 BB used to require a single acro through vertical, making it easier than L5 acro or XG acro. Now it will be a flight acro or an acro series. L7 (series AND flight, can be together) & L8 (series with at least one flight skill) remain the same.

The L6/L7 UB cast requirement wording changed, but SR is given for the same cast heights as before (horizontal/45 above horz, respectively).

Oh, and all three L6/L7 vault options have a 10 start value.

Yes, I agree, I like this one! L6 BB used to require a single acro through vertical, making it easier than L5 acro or XG acro. Now it will be a flight acro or an acro series. L7 (series AND flight, can be together) & L8 (series with at least one flight skill) remain the same.

The L6/L7 UB cast requirement wording changed, but SR is given for the same cast heights as before (horizontal/45 above horz, respectively).

Oh, and all three L6/L7 vault options have a 10 start value.

When you say all 3, do you mean a fhs, a tsuk timer, and yurchenko timer? Why would they leave the fhs at 10?

So these changes seem reasonable and way less drastic than what I have been hearing! Thank you for sharing! I am new to the level 8 world. What are some of the up to competition level deductions that are now spelled out?

So girls with mental blocks on flyaway will either be stuck in level 4 or Xcel?
When my DD did L6 the first time without a flyaway she was the only person all season we saw and she came in last pace on bars every single time. The second time she did L6- again, no flyaway, she was often in the top three on bars and we saw about 1/4 of the girls not doing a flyaway. I guess there is unhappiness at how many people were dealing with flyaway blocks. I wonder if Xcel gold will get an influx or more girls will quit altogether.

XP doesn’t require a flyaway. I personally think the other choices are scarier, but I have girls that will do them just to not flip. There is also such a wide range of skills in XP that girls can hang out there for as long as they want/need.

Reactions: kmc
XP doesn’t require a flyaway. I personally think the other choices are scarier, but I have girls that will do them just to not flip. There is also such a wide range of skills in XP that girls can hang out there for as long as they want/need.
You’re right, it’s platinum not gold.. but it’s not as easy as just hanging out there. I still think many girls will just quit. Xcel platinum at my DDs gym trains for 6 hours a week at the same price as L6-10, with rec coaches. I can’t imagine any of the girls or parents making that jump- there would definitely be no coming back to JO after any amount of time in our Xcel. I understand why they did it though- I always thought it out of character for JO to offer a respite for such an important block.

Well, you need a flyaway for level 5, and you have to score out of level 5 before level 6, so I'm assuming that you would be stuck in 4 or xcel either way.
I wouldn’t be so sure. I don’t have any clue why, but there were a lot of non-flyaway L6 bar routines this year. My DD, for instance, has gotten her flyaway (tucked and layout, and even a flyaway half) twice and lost it twice. It’s to the point they gave up on it altogether and are training a toe in front flip instead. Dojng L6 without it probably kept her in the sport. It seems to be a fairly common block.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back