Parents Switching to YMCA from Club

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

tdoesgymnastics

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
My daughter is wanting a more flexible, laid back, atmosphere and is no longer happy with the long hours and strict coaching. We are thinking about switching to YMCA this summer. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any guidance, perhaps? (She's Level 7/8 and considering XCEL Platinum/ Diamond as well )

YMCA gymnastics could be great. We are at a Y Gym and in the last year, we have had 3-4 girls switch to our gym from a Club Gym. They are all very happy with the switch.

Depending on the area, not only is it less hours, but meet fees could be considerably less (our entire meet season, INCLUDING Y Nationals, costs the same as 2 meets at the club gym the girls that switched came from ... my total meet fees this year are $205 and that is WITH Nationals).

If you are looking at any of the YMCAs on the attached list, they are going to Nationals this year. Many of them go EVERY year... and others that aren't going this year often go if the meet is closer to them. This Year it is in Toledo, so Ohio has a few extra teams attending than usual. The ones in Gray filed their intent to compete, but aren't on the final schedule.

Attachments

• Teams Coming to Nationals 2018.jpg
    Teams Coming to Nationals 2018.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 65
My girls are at a Y. The low hours and flexibility it gives them to do other activities is what they need.

Just like with club programs, there is a WIDE variety of Y programs. Hours vary, coach styles vary, flexibility vary. Our Y coaches encourage the girls to play in the marching band, run track, go to religious events, watch siblings’ concerts, etc over practice and/or meets if that is a personal or family priority. Not all of the Ys we compete against allow that. There are some Y coaches we’ve observed who speak to their athletes in a way I would never allow my daughters to be spoken to, just like happens within Club programs.

Do as much due diligence with a Y as you would do with a club. The Y program we’re a part of is exactly what my girls and family need for a well balanced, positive childhood.

DD was at a Y gym for 4 years. The team was small when compared to clubs. The girls were very close and she made many friends there. The coaches were great. My advise is to see if the administration is for the team or against the team.

There's a Y National meet?
YMCA gymnastics could be great. We are at a Y Gym and in the last year, we have had 3-4 girls switch to our gym from a Club Gym. They are all very happy with the switch.

Depending on the area, not only is it less hours, but meet fees could be considerably less (our entire meet season, INCLUDING Y Nationals, costs the same as 2 meets at the club gym the girls that switched came from ... my total meet fees this year are $205 and that is WITH Nationals).

If you are looking at any of the YMCAs on the attached list, they are going to Nationals this year. Many of them go EVERY year... and others that aren't going this year often go if the meet is closer to them. This Year it is in Toledo, so Ohio has a few extra teams attending than usual. The ones in Gray filed their intent to compete, but aren't on the final schedule.

There's a Y National meet?
Yes, there is a YMCA Nationals Meet every summer.
Some YMCAs choose to go every year. Others will go if it is a cool place or it is within a certain distance. still others choose NOT to go.

It is an optional meet even for gyms that choose to go every year (because of the cost PLUS it is often a travel meet), but they allow Level 1 - "Championship Level" (Levels 9 and 10 compete as a single level), Xcel Bronze - Diamond, and Mens Level 4 (both divisions) - Championship Level (Levels 8 - 10).
For Women's Level 8, they declare an actual Y AA Champion in Junior and Senior age groups (The top XX gymnasts in the prelims go on to AA Finals. For Championship Level, they have actual EVENT Champions in Junior and Senior age groups (Top XX gymnasts in prelims go on to Event Finals). The other levels are basically "Invitational" meets and you only go against other teams in your session, so there could be several Level 4 Child Y National Champions. However, some levels only have 1 session, so TECHNICALLY, those winners could claim the title of Y National Champion. Off the top of my head, Level 1, Xcel Bronze, Xcel Platinum, and Xcel Diamond and all the Mens levels only have 1 session each... and MAYBE Xcel Silver.

Our "district" has a rule that Level 3s can't go unless a higher level at the gym is also going, but some gyms don't let Level 3s go at all.
This year, Nationals is in Toledo, OH. Last year, it was in Savannah, GA. The year before that, it was in Long Beach, CA and before that, Kansas; Tampa, FL; Savannah, GA; Milwaukee, WI; Toledo, OH. That was the first year we went, but I think it was in San Diego or Pennsylvania the year before that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back