WAG Does anyone have experience with Talus OCD in ankle?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LivGym23

Gymnast
I am currently in a boot, non weight bearing. After six weeks I go back in for X-ray.(currently 1 week, 5 days) Other gymnasts have told me surgery is most likely. That the cartilage won't heal. What do you guys think? Any opinions based off experience?

OCD lesions can be tricky. My DD didn't have it in her ankle but in her knees. Neither healed with conservative treatment, and for her that was 3 months of no gymnastics and very limited weight bearing. Six weeks of no weight bearing was just to see if there was some healing. It also depends on the stage of the lesion. If the cartilage is actually broken, it doesn't heal by itself as there is no blood supply to the cartilage. If it is just soft, then there is the potential that it can heal. Age can also factor in, the older you are, the less likely it will heal on its own. But there's no way of knowing which lesions will heal with just conservative treatment.

OCD lesions can be tricky. My DD didn't have it in her ankle but in her knees. Neither healed with conservative treatment, and for her that was 3 months of no gymnastics and very limited weight bearing. Six weeks of no weight bearing was just to see if there was some healing. It also depends on the stage of the lesion. If the cartilage is actually broken, it doesn't heal by itself as there is no blood supply to the cartilage. If it is just soft, then there is the potential that it can heal. Age can also factor in, the older you are, the less likely it will heal on its own. But there's no way of knowing which lesions will heal with just conservative treatment.
Thank you for your info and knowledge!

I don't know specifically about the ankle, but Pea had it in her elbow. Both her bone and cartilage where affected (chipped) and it did require surgery. The first surgery they tried to heal it by screwing the cartilage back to the bone and stimulating it. She was no load baring for 4 months. That didn't work, and she had to have the cartilage removed and restimulated. She was out of gym for an entire year total. My understanding is that if the cartilage is not broken, you can attempt to let the lesion heal on its own. But that route has limited success, as B&M's mom stated.

I don't know specifically about the ankle, but Pea had it in her elbow. Both her bone and cartilage where affected (chipped) and it did require surgery. The first surgery they tried to heal it by screwing the cartilage back to the bone and stimulating it. She was no load baring for 4 months. That didn't work, and she had to have the cartilage removed and restimulated. She was out of gym for an entire year total. My understanding is that if the cartilage is not broken, you can attempt to let the lesion heal on its own. But that route has limited success, as B&M's mom stated.
Thank you so much for your input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back