Parents Dadgumit!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flyaway

Proud Parent
TDBHSOB (That da*n backhandspring on beam)! Dd worked all summer (really since last summer) to finally get it on the high beam without a pad about 2 weeks ago. Guess where it went? Who knows, because I sure don't. She suddenly can't do it and is back to working it on the line on the floor.

Le sigh.

First it was just TDBHS. Then TDK. She's still working through TDCHS. Right now I'm just pretending my kid doesn't even do gymnastics, to keep myself from asking her questions. She just mysteriously disappears for 4 hours every day.

I swear, this sport. o_O Gimme your best TD... story. Misery loves company! LOL

Solidarity. Mine currently claims to have "lost" so many skills that she won't even list them all. Which is fine by me. I would be very happy if she told me she didn't want me to watch the meets, either. I would be thrilled just to play chauffeur, pay the bills, and appreciate the fact that she is spending time doing what she loves. Although sometimes it is incomprehensible to me why she loves it so much.

Flyaway -

BTDT!! What level is your dd training? When mine was training that skill she fought with it forever! Then one day her coach had her try round-off back tuck. Lo and behold she liked it much better and hit it much more that the BHS. From that point forward she did the back tuck. I think she started the back tuck at L8.

Good Luck!

Ha! Perfect timing. Mine is losing skills faster than I can count.... Her BW-BHS on high beam never came back from our summer vacation (thankfully still has a HS-BHS so at least there is a connection!), free-hip isn't hitting handstand anymore, and giants are suddenly hit or miss. It's like she peaked too early (had all of her L7 skills months before she needed them, wasn't sure what to do with the time remaining before her first meet, so decided to lose everything and start over!). I can't bear it!!

BTDT....many times!

2 years ago, dd was doing great in L8. Went 4 for 4 at EVERY meet, including states and regionals. She was usually on the podium for bars and beam every meet.

Last year, she was struggling to get her L9 skills and had a lot of other pressures at school so decided to repeat L8. I thought - great! A nice, stress-free year! Nope. Lost her vault. Lost her flight on beam. Lost her twist on floor. Took almost all season to get back those skills. Sigh...

DD gym spends an exuberant amount of time conditioning over the summer. It seems she lost some of her tumbling skills as summer came to an end. She is stronger after summer so we will see what happens when practice returns to its normal school time rotations. I asked her before signing the contract if she was ready for a break, the response was stink eye.

I *think* she’s finally back to full strength, but Poor Puma Jr couldn’t KIP after being in the hospital for four days this summer :( She lost 10% of her body weight. A tough pill to swallow for the State/Regional/World UB champ... but she’s back to gianting ect and prepping for the new season! Her TDBHSOB isn’t great yet either..she’s hoping to compete it this season, but we’ll see. @Flyaway , she’ll get it back!! Vent away..so good to know we’re not alone!!

That back handspring on beam almost caused dd to quit gymnastics. She broke her thumb doing one and then less than a year later broke her finger doing it again. She was awesome on beam & had only fallen once during all of her competitions on levels 3, 4 and 5 combined. She was state beam champ. After the injury, she developed beam fears and fell many times during level 7. She wanted to quit but still loved the sport so we fortunately found a new gym with an Xcel program that was a better fit for her.

Flyaway -

BTDT!! What level is your dd training? When mine was training that skill she fought with it forever! Then one day her coach had her try round-off back tuck. Lo and behold she liked it much better and hit it much more that the BHS. From that point forward she did the back tuck. I think she started the back tuck at L8.

Good Luck!

I think the plan is to compete Platinum in an attempt to avoid the hated level 5 compulsory and better prep for optionals. As I understand it, TDBHSOB is not even required for Platinum, but preferred by her gym. I'm really, REALLY trying to be loosey goosey about this season and level placement and TDskills, etc. It doesn't REALLY matter in the grand scheme of life, right? ;) So she just keeps "mysteriously disappearing" for 4 hours every day and I pretend I don't know anything. :rolleyes:

Oh, with my kids it’s been TDE- or that darned everything. Every skill is a struggle of blocks and creativity and perseverance (or in the case of YDD, knowing when to walk away). TDF has been a thorn in DDs side for three years now. She competed without it twice and now that she can’t compete any level at all without a salto bars dismount.. well, she’s still not competing it. She’s supposed to be competing a front flyaway (which is both “less scary” and “easier”), but it’s only into a pit currently and TDG (gym) and TDBS (boarding school) aren’t playing nice while she is in NY. So who knows what her season will look like or if she’ll get her last season at all.

Flyaway - OG lost it when she was in old Level 6 ... It has been 5 years and it never came back.
Beam Cartwheel - YG was almost doing it 5/10 on medium beam but never managed to get it on high beam. Since it would need to be connected, she has switched to a roundoff.
Back tuck - OG lost it during Old L6. It took 18 months to come back.
Beam BWO - OG had a BWO-BWO on beam before old L6. By the end of that season, she could land only 6/10 BWO on beam. After that season, she couldn't do even 1.
Kip - YG took 4 years to get her first low bar one (well, 4 of them in 1 day). Then she lost it for 2 years. She got it back (high bar version) IN COMPETITION this past season. Then, HC "fixed" her so she could do a low bar kip and she lost the high bar kip for a couple weeks. Now, it is a cr@p shoot whether she will have either in practice.

Right there with you right now! DD has had backwards fears for about 6 months now
Has a few good weeks then setback. Right now it is the series on beam but has rotated through all events. She is prepping for L7 so we will see how the year goes :)

Mine was injured all summer, so not able to do vault, bars and anything on beam or floor where she used that arm.

Recently she decided she couldn’t do any back tumbling at all. Not even a robhs. Then she wanted to quit more than a few times.

She’s been talked down from quitting and is trying to get her skills back enough to maybe compete 8 this coming season but who knows?

Best of luck to all of you with struggling kids.

DFG as in Giant.

She doesn't lose skills typically because she simply couldn't take any longer to get them then she already does.

She was finally doing them on the strap bar over the pit. And unfortunately she has had a injury that will keep her off bars for a few weeks best case.................

Squat-on was hard for my gymnast, she looked like she wasn't even trying to make it, we try not to say anything about any skill she is struggling with as we don't want it to get in her head, but mom and I are always curious on how things are going.

Right now DD is struggling with TDFHSoV (Front Hand Spring on Vault) --finally got over the table with a mini tramp---its basically the same thing on a springboard right?

Lily lost her pak a couple of weeks ago, has almost had to start back from the very beginning. It was her best bars skill all year and then poof it was just gone and now she's scared to even try it by herself.

So I have been hesitant to "like" any of these posts (I mean, how can you "like" hearing about kids losing skills...) but it is definitely reassuring to know that this happens to the best of them! I keep telling myself better now than 3 months from now (when the first meet will be nearly upon us)

Ha! Perfect timing. Mine is losing skills faster than I can count.... Her BW-BHS on high beam never came back from our summer vacation (thankfully still has a HS-BHS so at least there is a connection!), free-hip isn't hitting handstand anymore, and giants are suddenly hit or miss. It's like she peaked too early (had all of her L7 skills months before she needed them, wasn't sure what to do with the time remaining before her first meet, so decided to lose everything and start over!). I can't bear it!!

I think I could have written this post. My dd likes to get her skills quickly, and then they desert her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back