Off Topic Texting!! Just pick up the phone and TALK why don't cha?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 19 yr old son is a texting fool.

His cell phone is constantly beeping with a new messages - all from the same group of friends. I ask him...why not just pick up the phone and call your friends?? You know.. communicate with his VOICE. It's more efficient! He looks at me like im from some other planet as if to say 'Gawd...Voice communication is SO yesterday'

"Why would I do that??? he says. "Calling costs more in cell minutes.. "

I really wanna smack this boy! Honor student my butt.

I have to remind him that calling his friend from our HOME phone... to his HOME phone wouldnt cost either of them anything.

His reply: yea but we have unlimted texting.

ARRGGGG!!!

At least he's not anywhere NEAR what this girl!
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01112009/news/nationalnews/this_kids_a_text_maniac_149614.htm

Drives me nuts too, in the UK everyone does it all the time. My borther sends me pages of the stuss I just pick up the phone and call him back. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and have no interest in those tiny keys. Mond you I rarely use my cell phone, it lives in my bag waiting for that emergency call from gym or school when I am out working.

Maube we're just tooo old, Eh???

I only used 11 minutes last month. And the lowest plan has 700 minutes. We don't talk must. I currently have about 13,000 rollover minutes. Texts, on the other hand, I use all the time. I am not a texting maniac, but if I ever need to talk to someone I just text them. It's so much easier. I use between 500-1000 a month, so I really don't text very much. That's about 15 to 30 a day. Mostly in class. LOL

Voice calling is more of a commitment. Some people you just have texting relationships with or if you just have like ONE thing to say, then it's less awkward than calling. And by no means will you call the home phone because then their parents will pick up, creating awkwardness.

The only bad thing is people are fools and try to text when they drive, so. It's a problem.

You sound like my dad...
I text all the time, but I get 1000 free texts a month- that's my excuse!

My mum drives me up the wall- she takes about an hour to text something like OK will meet you there, Love Mammy. And she never puts kisses in- I keep giving her into trouble!

Also, the teachers can tell if you pick up your phone in class and start talking...;). We're not even supposed to have our phones in school LOL.

Last edited:
I forget my record for texts in a month but it was like a high 2,000 i think? I don't text during class and not during gym either but I do text a lot.
If you called someone you could only talk to one person at a time. If you're texting you can have multiple convosations going on at once. =]

I txt a LOT too. I've sent several thousand in a month...thank goodness for unlimited txting!!

I like it because it is a lot faster than making a phone call. If you call someone you have to dial, wait for them to answer, you have no idea if you are interrupting them in the middle of something, then you have the "hi how are you?" "I'm fine thanks and you?" Then you say what you want to say. And then the other person might ask you a question. Then you have to discuss when you will next see each other and then say goodbyes. Quite frankly, thats way too much when all I want to do is tell my mom i'll be home at 7:30 and I have a ride.

Another reason for txting is that it is a way of chatting without anyone else knowing who you are chatting with or what you are saying. My parents would be rather upset if I'm flirting with my girlfriend on the phone when we are out to eat, not to mention it could be a little embarrassing! But txting, no problem :)

But I agree with the person who said no txting when driving. My parents have warned me that if they ever find out I'm doing that I will lose both my phone and carkeys. Plus, the first 17 years of my life have been wonerful, and I'd love to see what the next 17 have in store!

Maybe we're just tooo old, Eh???

I am Very Old and I text all the time. I prefer it to phoning as I find people have time to think of a funny response and then to text it back instead of having to go through all the "Hello, how are you, how are all your children" etc etc etc that you have to if you actually speak to them. You can leave out all that stuff and just say what you need to say. I have very long texting conversations that go on all afternoon with some of my friends - not every 2 minutes like the girl in the article but every half hour or so we send back something, have a laugh and then respond.

I'm (ashamed? proud?) to say I have no idea how to even read texts on my phone. I see the icon about a text received, and I ignore it. At first it bugged me to not know how to use the feature a little, but I figure anything worth telling me is worth hearing my verbal response. I have email for everything else. That's not a self-centric phone view though, to be fair. If I dial a number, I don't leave a message typically if they don't pick up because if I can't speak to them, whats the point? I call again later. I leave messages in the case of a time sensitive emergency but small talk messages, no.

The one time I saw and responded to a text was when my husband was at a Star Wars convention or w/e it's called in LA with his friends. He texted a message & pic to his sisters phone since I was with her. They were all posing with a full harem of Leia's in the slave girl outfit. I told him it looked like him and his bf's (best friends) were having a great time. He took bf to mean boyfriend, and now when his friends call they ask if they can talk to their boyfriend. Yay for texting!

Is it legal to use your phone while driving in America? It's been illegal here for the past couple of years, they even lift you for it now.

I txt a LOT too. I've sent several thousand in a month...thank goodness for unlimited txting!!

I like it because it is a lot faster than making a phone call. If you call someone you have to dial, wait for them to answer, you have no idea if you are interrupting them in the middle of something, then you have the "hi how are you?" "I'm fine thanks and you?" Then you say what you want to say. And then the other person might ask you a question. Then you have to discuss when you will next see each other and then say goodbyes. Quite frankly, thats way too much when all I want to do is tell my mom i'll be home at 7:30 and I have a ride.

Another reason for txting is that it is a way of chatting without anyone else knowing who you are chatting with or what you are saying. My parents would be rather upset if I'm flirting with my girlfriend on the phone when we are out to eat, not to mention it could be a little embarrassing! But txting, no problem :)

But I agree with the person who said no txting when driving. My parents have warned me that if they ever find out I'm doing that I will lose both my phone and carkeys. Plus, the first 17 years of my life have been wonerful, and I'd love to see what the next 17 have in store!

SInce when do you drive???

Is it legal to use your phone while driving in America?

Legal, yes. still. STUPID & INSANE, but legal in most states. Some states may have passed some state-level laws about cell phone use but they are fairly lax. Enforced about as much as a seatbelt law.

Legal or not.... texting while driving SHOULD be treated like driving while intoxicated. Just my opinon.

I'm with Linsul. Don't get or send text. In fact.... my phone ring... sounds like a telephone! Not some annoying music meant only to disrupt everone in earshot or try to make a (weak) impression of creativity.

Can you feel the love yet??

Thinking about it, I guess i can see some efficiency if texting were used like a direct "e-mail". Where an entire thought could be communicated back and forth. But...i suspect that's not how they are being used. But rather like passing virtual notes to each other in the halls?? Am I close?

Based on the replies on the thread, it sounds like a common reason for texting is that you can covertly communicate with others -- without those in authority (parents/teachers) knowing about it? :rolleyes: Especially when you should be doing something other then passing notes? Am I a little closer?

1000+ mgs a month?? That comes out to an average of 4.8 messages every hour, every day, for an entire month, not counting 8 hours for sleep each day. That's nuts if you ask me. This begs the questions -- Are ALL these constant text conversations so important that they can't wait until later when you can spend a moment, and have a meaningful conversation?

Or is that just it? You text so you don't have too have a meaningful conversation?

Just wondering.

Tim_ "back in my day" _Dad

P.S. I would be careful how you answer those questions, if you choose too. They are indeed loaded.

Thinking about it, I guess i can see some efficiency if texting were used like a direct "e-mail". Where an entire thought could be communicated back and forth. But...i suspect that's not how they are being used. But rather like passing virtual notes to each other in the halls?? Am I close?

Based on the replies on the thread, it sounds like a common reason for texting is that you can covertly communicate with others -- without those in authority (parents/teachers) knowing about it? :rolleyes: Especially when you should be doing something other then passing notes? Am I a little closer?

I use it to make plans or tell people things, I don't know, it's pretty similar to email and facebook for me. I didn't have a phone when I was in high school because I only went to school and gymnastics where they weren't allowed at either. I got one a year ago a month into my first semester at college (we meant to get it earlier but things just didn't work out).

In california it just because illegal to text while driving, and if you are under 18 or haven't had your license for a year, you can't touch it at all.

It is illegal to use a hand-held cell phone in New York, Connecticut, and New Jersey. If you have a bluetooth, it is legal, but my parents say it is just as distracting.

Now Tim_Dad, you were a teenager once weren't you? ;);) Txting really isn't much different than the kind of gossiping you all did back in ancient times, its just more technologically advanced :) But yes, your guess about the covertness of txting is right on target.

Now here is something that will really drive you crazy I bet: Teens Turn 'Repeller' into Adult-Proof Ringtone : NPR

Here is a link with different sounds that can be heard by different ages: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrewnzQYrPI&fmt=18
(make sure you are watching in high quality)

I can hear 'em all :) Can you grown-ups hear them all? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly I think texting is a great thing. I'm not one of these people that sit there and texts during class or text while I drive either. But between classes, i'm on my phone checking my e-mails, texts, or missed calls. I have a Blackberry so all of my e-mails come directly to my phone just like a text message. I also don't use text talk or whatever people call it because it drives me nuts (and I have spell check in my phone).

I like texting or e-mailing through my phone because I get the information no matter where I am when I need to get it. Granted if i'm at practice I don't check my phone, so I find out four hours after the time when I was sent the message. It also allows for my friends to get in touch with me quickly too if they need advice or vice versa. And if i'm running late and in a meeting at school or a place where I can't talk, I can send my coach or my mom or dad a message to tell them that I will be leaving a bit later than expected.

That's just my opinion. And the main person that texts me is actually my Father, so apparently he doesn't mind it too much. He sends me reminders for me to do things at school, or just a message to ask how my day is going. It can really brighten a bad day at school or training. :)

Here is a link with different sounds that can be heard by different ages: YouTube - Mosquito ringtone - TeenBuzz
(make sure you are watching in high quality)

I can hear 'em all :) Can you grown-ups hear them all? :D

Ow, MY HEAD. If anyone I knew had that as a ringtone, I would probably harm their phone. Why not just turn the sound off and look to see if you have a text? It's not like you're going to voice call in a situation where a ringtone can't go off anyway.

edit: my parents text me too, from their email

I find it a little funny that my parents are adding unlimited texting to the family plan for themselves, LOL. I think I send maybe 2 texts/month. Maybe I'd text more once I don't have to pay per text, I don't really know. I usually only text when I can't get in touch with my parents and their inboxes are full, or if I need to ask a teammate or friend something and I know they have class and don't want to take the chance of their phone going off (because Murphy's Law states that the one time that you forget to turn your phone off, you'll get a call). One of my pet peeves is when the person next to me texts during class. The sound might be off, but the constant clicking... ahh! Anyway, I don't see how texting is any more secretive than IMing; I can always tell when people are texting when I give a presentation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back