Coaches Memories

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I was going through old pictures and figured a trip down memory lane with company would be fun. What are some of your fondest/silliest/random/or even extreme moments with coworkers? Here's the two I'm reminded most of looking at this group of pictures I'm going through.

I was in the breakroom one day, and a coach who was learning English was doing her best to tell me about a movie she had watched the night before. I had no idea what she movie she was talking about, but I got snippets of what she was saying so I nodded along and applauded her understanding. In a tone of complete seriousness, she said there were parts she didn't get, so I was like no problem I'll help you out.

She proceeds to let loose a swear peppered rant that the 'bad guy' must have said in the movie. In the middle of it, our boss walks in, and he's trying not to bust up. I'm looking between them like a deer in the headlights, and he says 'go on, help her out! Slang is a important part of any foreign culture. I find charades helps a lot!' Once it was explained, she decided it was only fair we know how to say it in her language. Probably the worst cultural exchange ever, but also the funniest. Mercifully far away from any public part of the gym too just in case you're wondering!

A different time we all went out to eat after a weekend of competition. The gym owner went all out, we were at a fabulous restaraunt on a lake with lights everywhere. There was live opera music and hand painted murals on the wall, and (the hieght of class) the 6 of us smelly and covered in chalk. He told us to order whatever we wanted, and we told him not to joke about that! Of course we did. From appetizers, to drinks, seafood and steak and of course dessert. The owner pretended to have a heart attack when he got the bill, but he miraculously got over it and paid for our amazing dinner.

A few weeks later, at the coaches Christmas party, we were sitting at his house and chatting. He pulls out some box of wine, natty ice beer, and some brand of vodka I'd never seen before because no human being would ever drink it. He looked at our faces and was like 'What did you expect, you cleaned me out at that dinner, jeez!' He was kidding though and pulled out a bottle of red zin while laughing at us. We later found out he was related to the owner and got a huge discount lol.

Ok I am so not artsy crafty :( I tried to do a scrapbook with the actual pictures I have saved up. I had them in a photo album but the binding broke during our move. My scrapbook looks...well like something I can't say here. I was motivated to try it because I got a lot of wallet sized school photos from gymnasts this year. I thought it would be cool to try, but I think I'm going to have to start over.

Parents are quick with those digital cameras! I have 2 pictures that are me doing apparently silly/dumb things in the background. In one, I'm standing about 15 feet behind the photo subject, holding my coffee. The lid is off and it looks like I'm digging through it. In actuality though my finger was on the far side of the cup, on the outside, trying to catch foam that was overflowing. I love caramel macchiattos! The other one I'm across the gym and it looks like I'm lurching randomly. I wasn't I swear! I was probably spotting a gymnast that took a random turn, but honestly I don't remember exactly. I do know that I'm not prone to bouts of lurching all spastically though lol.

Oh come on, I know people have good stories. We work with kids who say the darndest things, go to summer camps, meets, and can't escape a camera lense. Somebody else has got some!

Well, the fall of 2004 a whole bunch of kids were convinced they'd seen me on TV. They were dead convinced that I'd been to the Olympics. The respect was nice, but it was like "no, guys, I'm not that good. Thanks though". Turns out they thought one of the Romanian gymnasts was me. Nope, nowhere near that good.

And then there's the girls who "feel the need", in their words, to fall off beam into the radioactive man eating frogs that live in the mats.

Or the kid who went to my BOSS trying to get the coach she wanted for her class. Resourceful, she is.

So about 7 or 8 years ago, I was teaching a small preschool class at my gym. One of the little girls raises her hand and tells me she's hot. Now honestly, what do you say to that? I mean, she was already in a leotard! So I had her get a drink of water, and turned back around and finished showing the small obstacle course. When I turned back around, I saw her solution... she was completely naked!

Or the kid who went to my BOSS trying to get the coach she wanted for her class. Resourceful, she is.

LOL I hope she remembered to bring her productivity pie charts and a briefcase of projected results based off of progression sheets! :p That is too funny!

So about 7 or 8 years ago, I was teaching a small preschool class at my gym. One of the little girls raises her hand and tells me she's hot. Now honestly, what do you say to that? I mean, she was already in a leotard! So I had her get a drink of water, and turned back around and finished showing the small obstacle course. When I turned back around, I saw her solution... she was completely naked!

I can relate to that, my daughter did that when she was almost 3. Not in the gym, but on a crowded tourist beach in Puerto Rico. We were all dressed for dinner at a restaurant that had a beach patio exit. Went outside to kill 15 or so mintues, next thing you know Ashley's dress is off and she's streaking down the hight tide line with her dad yelling and running after her. I was useless, complete fits of laughter and disbelief. Her pull up pants had gotten wet in her charge to the water and their water logged sag was breaking her stride and making her run all zig zagged. She gave her dad a run for his money thats for sure.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back