Parents Training hours for levels 6/7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Level 3 is 8 hours
Level 4 is 14
5/6 is 16 hours
Level 7/8 is 19 hours (25 in the summer)
Level 9/10 is 23 hours (25 in the summer)

School year hours:
Level 6 - 16 hours
Level 7 - 21 hours
Level 8 - 23 hours
(includes 1 hr/week ballet)
Hours go up during the summer (30-35 hrs/week)

Has anyone opted to practice fewer hours? Saying you are not going on Wednesdays or whatever because your kid just needs one day to not be stressed about homework.

^^ Yes this happens at our gym. Interestingly, some of the girls who opt to practice fewer hours because of homework load are higher scoring than those who never miss...

9 hr required. And additional 3 hr and 2 hr (the 2 hr for about 6 months a year) offered. You can do it weekly or monthly.

More hours offered in summer with camps. But 9 are required, most do 12 on a regular basis.

Mine did 9 usually until L7, now 12 to 14 depending on the week.
this is the JO program (or Xcel) that we need to find! i'd love to find a gym that would allow my kiddo to do every other saturdays in addition to 3/3hour days during the week. i think we have found something but it's going to have to wait until next season (we will probably make a move in march after states). the long hours in the gym just aren't for us anymore. at least, not right now.

this is the JO program (or Xcel) that we need to find! i'd love to find a gym that would allow my kiddo to do every other saturdays in addition to 3/3hour days during the week. i think we have found something but it's going to have to wait until next season (we will probably make a move in march after states). the long hours in the gym just aren't for us anymore. at least, not right now.
We as in our family love this. We have kids who take Saturdays off if they do a school sport for that season. Or a year of Saturday’s off. We have a Level 7 that is still in gym because she doesn’t have to do Saturdays. She gets to be. L7 gymnast because she is not required to do high hours.

Our gym isn’t by any means perfect. We might not be scoring 38s. But 36/37s at 12-14 hours is pretty cool.

Also being able to say no to a meet is cool too

We as in our family love this. We have kids who take Saturdays off if they do a school sport for that season. Or a year of Saturday’s off. We have a Level 7 that is still in gym because she doesn’t have to do Saturdays. She gets to be. L7 gymnast because she is not required to do high hours.

Our gym isn’t by any means perfect. We might not be scoring 38s. But 36/37s at 12-14 hours is pretty cool.

Also being able to say no to a meet is cool too
i think the gym we've picked is one that will allow her to have the schedule she wants and stay in the gym. she already said yes to doing saturdays every other wkend if we switch and at our current gym she's a definite no to saturdays and they don't allow it for xcel anyway. the only downside is she's the only upper lvl xcel kid. she could switch back over to lvl 7/get your feet wet lvl 8 if she wanted and have a couple of teammates there. it's a newer gym with mostly lower levels and she'd be the most advanced there but 2 or 3 girls right on her heels and the coaches have already shown they will go to clinics and learn the new skills needed, ect.... i like the more laid back approach. i'm not so concerned on the scores. i'm more concerned with her staying in a sport she loves. and it's not too far away....

i think the gym we've picked is one that will allow her to have the schedule she wants and stay in the gym. she already said yes to doing saturdays every other wkend if we switch and at our current gym she's a definite no to saturdays and they don't allow it for xcel anyway. the only downside is she's the only upper lvl xcel kid. she could switch back over to lvl 7/get your feet wet lvl 8 if she wanted and have a couple of teammates there. it's a newer gym with mostly lower levels and she'd be the most advanced there but 2 or 3 girls right on her heels and the coaches have already shown they will go to clinics and learn the new skills needed, ect.... i like the more laid back approach. i'm not so concerned on the scores. i'm more concerned with her staying in a sport she loves. and it's not too far away....

There should only be one person who decides when the love for the sport is gone and it is time to retire, that is the athlete. We should not allow a coach to end the passion each athlete shows for so many years, that is not a healthy ending.

Thank you for all of the responses! As I suspected, our gym is on the low end for the group my daughter would likely train with. I think there has possibly been some discussion about a slight increase. It is helpful to know what other gyms are doing.
Our gym is low then too compared to this. Level 5/6 train 12.hours and level 7-9 are 15 hours

The group my daughter is in is called the Fast Track Elite (girls who are elite or trying to go elite). The normal level 7-10 I think go 15-20 hours, home school and gym all takes place at the gym for the fast track girls.

Out of curiosity, do the 30 hours include schooling time as well as gym practice time?

According to the schedule you list above she practices 8 hours a day ( 4 in the morning and 4 in the afternoon) 5 days ( not Thursdays or Sunday ) for a total of 40 hours. I’m sure you miss typed something. Further up the thread you said she practices 32 hours. I’m not judging, just noticing a discrepancy in the numbers.

We are at a Y, level 7 can go 10 hours a week, Level 6 can go 8 hours. No one honestly expects elite or college gym. The kids are there because they love gymnastics.

I’m willing to say they’d all be out of the sport if the hours were higher because most of our high school and middle school girls do at least one school sport or an activity that requires after school practice like marching band. Because the coaches understand and encourage school involvement, gymnasts can come on an “off day” for their level. My level 7 has practiced with the level 5s because it fit around her school sport and my level 5 has practiced with the level 8+s because it’s fit her concert schedule. And as soon as that sport/activity is over, it’s back to the scheduled days.

My level 7 consistently scores 34-35. Bars are really hard at the lower hours and those scores suffer, but her school sports support the other three events. And gymnastics supports her school sports to the point she’s a starter in one over girls who play almost year round and has a legitimate chance at college level in another.

Checked with the wife

M 7:30-6
Tues 10-2 (1 hour private at 9am)
Wed 7:30-6
Thursday off
Fri 7:30-6
Sat 7:30-12

Don’t really know how much time is for school sometimes they go over I just know they go to class at 11:30

Also no school on tues and sat
Wait, I am also confused. 40 hours of gym a week and only 10 hours a week of school? I am really not trying to sound judgey here, and everyone does best for their family and child, but is that even allowed?

I’m not going to comment on specific gym to school ratios, but I will say that you shouldn’t assume that lower hours of school is damning to the child’s future. My kids do low hours homeschooling (about two hours a day, four days a week) and its perfect for them. My older daughter has moved past our homeschool to be successful in a variety of other settings. Sometimes more school is not better- not unlike gymnastics, actually.

I’m not going to comment on specific gym to school ratios, but I will say that you shouldn’t assume that lower hours of school is damning to the child’s future. My kids do low hours homeschooling (about two hours a day, four days a week) and its perfect for them. My older daughter has moved past our homeschool to be successful in a variety of other settings. Sometimes more school is not better- not unlike gymnastics, actually.

I wasn't saying it was damning to their future, was just wondering if that was even allowable. Guess it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back