WAG USOC moves to revoke USAG...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Other than elite meets, does it affect meets really at all? I assume the gyms could hold them regardless- I mean, some gyms do unsanctioned meets anyway and the fees have been paid/venues booked, etc. I would guess it could effect states, but only to the fact that they wouldn’t “count” for anything- but what does L4-8 states really count for anyway (regionals too)? The kids who win still won.

Supplementary insurance may be an issue though, particularly in outside venues? That's the main thing I can think of. Since other countries have purchased compulsory materials and run the compulsory program, I would assume since we've all bought it we could keep using it if it came to that. I don't really think if it came to that anyway there would be anything left to stop us. We already have it all, so someone would have to sue to stop the use but who would that be if it dissolves? So I don't see that being a big issue.

OK. There is a different SafeSPort that is not USAG. SafeSport is an actual organization. USAG adopted a SafeSPort policy based on this organization and reports can and should be made to them (Safesport.org).

I read an article that said there are two new organizations gunning to be the NGB. Who are they and does anyone know anything about them?

Reactions: sce
I read an article that said there are two new organizations gunning to be the NGB. Who are they and does anyone know anything about them?

I am not sure, but I have seen some acronyms thrown around.

I personally don’t think USAG is going anywhere. I’ve heard from multiple inside sources that the USOC did this to get USAG to get rid of the last remaining people from the nasser years. Once they get rid of these people USOC will allow them to continue as the NGB.

I know they gave USAG several requirements a year and a half or so ago...that have not been met. I think it will be interesting, and all articles are speculating at this point.

I personally don’t think USAG is going anywhere. I’ve heard from multiple inside sources that the USOC did this to get USAG to get rid of the last remaining people from the nasser years. Once they get rid of these people USOC will allow them to continue as the NGB.

I lean towards this too, but who knows anymore. Either way I think JO stuff will be able to mostly continue as is for this season. Whatever happens immediately would mostly affect the national team first I'd speculate. I would imagine an ad hoc organization of coaches could continue for a few months though at this point in the year with the set up they have now. Once that's figured out the JO stuff would follow.

The question that I want answered is who is going to run this new NGB? I think it will be next to impossible to have a completely fresh crop of leaders not in any way associated with USAG. The community is still too small. And to be honest, I don’t think that everyone who works/ed for USAG should be blacklisted. There are a lot of good people that work for them, particularly at the grassroots level. Tom Forster I think deserves to keep his position. I think most people have been pleased with the job he has done and the new environment he seems to have created.
On the men's side too. Brett McClure has just begun to turn around the men's program. It would be sad if we threw the baby out with the bathwater.

I don't think USAG can financially survive all the lawsuits etc. As well, some of their recent hiring decisions, that quickly ended, were not thought through well. It does appear that there is still a big issue in them knowing how to move forward it a healthy way.

On the SafeSport/Safe Sport thing: there is a national non-profit, SafeSport, that was established in around 2010 or 2011. In 2017, Congress designated it as the primary clearinghouse for athlete welfare for Olympic sports. All accusations of sexual misconduct now go through SafeSport.

Olympic sport governing bodies, however, all have their own in-house institutions/organizations. USAG Safe Sport acknowledges national SafeSport authority, but has its own system and reporting mechanisms, though sexual misconduct allegations must go to the umbrella organization. It's the USAG Safe Sport that continues to maintain the gymnastics banned list, and not everyone banned from gymnastics is yet entirely banned from coaching other sports.

On the SafeSport/Safe Sport thing: there is a national non-profit, SafeSport, that was established in around 2010 or 2011. In 2017, Congress designated it as the primary clearinghouse for athlete welfare for Olympic sports. All accusations of sexual misconduct now go through SafeSport.

Olympic sport governing bodies, however, all have their own in-house institutions/organizations. USAG Safe Sport acknowledges national SafeSport authority, but has its own system and reporting mechanisms, though sexual misconduct allegations must go to the umbrella organization. It's the USAG Safe Sport that continues to maintain the gymnastics banned list, and not everyone banned from gymnastics is yet entirely banned from coaching other sports.

Thanks. I do think that The national SafeSport could take over some of that list...and prevent any issues.

I don't think USAG can financially survive all the lawsuits etc. As well, some of their recent hiring decisions, that quickly ended, were not thought through well. It does appear that there is still a big issue in them knowing how to move forward it a healthy way.
All they have to do is file chapter 11 and it protects them from everything. At least that is according to something I read today. I expect that is what they are going to do, along with finally getting rid of a few individuals that should have been let go a long time ago.

Reactions: sce
As I see it, there are a few benefits to a new organization that no restructured version of USAG could get. They wouldn't be in the middle of any litigation so they'd be free to include/talk to/seek advice from all the survivors. Some of those really good coaches who wouldn't touch a job with USAG with a ten foot pole might be open to accepting a job with a new organization. They could get sponsors much more easily and wouldn't be in such a dire position financially. They could keep on anyone they wanted (Tom Forster comes to mind) but would be under no obligation to hire any of the old guard. Of course, there are still plenty of potential draw backs, and a enough unknowns to fill a foam pit. But I definitely see some possible upside to a fresh start over a total restructuring of USAG.

I know next to nothing about bankruptcy law, but I am pretty sure they can't file simply to avoid liability.

I couldn’t figure out how to link the entire article but here is s a screenshot

Attachments

• CF371054-CBF3-474A-854E-EF2662373FAC.png
    CF371054-CBF3-474A-854E-EF2662373FAC.png
    353.6 KB · Views: 80
@bogwoppit I find it disgusting at best that there are still individuals that support and believe that an organization willing to file bankruptcy to hide from paying victims it has damaged so deeply should still be looking after their offspring needs a serious check on what is important in life. SMH

@bogwoppit I find it disgusting at best that there are still individuals that support and believe that an organization willing to file bankruptcy to hide from paying victims it has damaged so deeply should still be looking after their offspring needs a serious check on what is important in life. SMH

I agree 100%. If that is not an example of how rotten USAG is I don’t know what is.

All they have to do is file chapter 11 and it protects them from everything. At least that is according to something I read today. I expect that is what they are going to do, along with finally getting rid of a few individuals that should have been let go a long time ago.

And this is why they need to go...almost everything they have done up until now is try to protect themselves from everything. This would be more of the same, and worse.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back