Twisting Direction - help please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

FVSgymnast

Gymnast
Hi
I'm UK based, and am currently starting to add twisting to my tumbling passes. I cartwheel and round off on my left (foot forward), but my natural twisting direction appears to be right (full twist jump on floor, swivel hips etc). According to other people on the internet a left round-off is a right twist, but sets you up for a left twist next move. My coach has said I should either change my twisting direction or my round-off leg. My question is whether i really need to do this, and if so which one would be best to change? I have also noticed that when trying to do a full twisting front I seem to untwist in the second part!
Any help appreciated
thanks!

This is a topic that not all coaches agree on. A left round off is a right twist, left round offers want to twist naturally to their right. But if you are doing twisting skills which step out you are going to want to naturally step out with your left foot from a left twist. If you watch international level gymnasts you will see that even at that level not all coaches agree.

Coaches do not all agree on this topic and most adamant one way of the other, so getting advice on the internet is not going to work best for you. You are going to need to work with your own coach and their preferences with this.

Twisting one way and back the other is very common when you learn front twisting. When you are upside down it feels like you are going a different way to when you are right side up. At first when you do this skill correctly it will feel wrong and when you do it incorrectly it will feel correct. I suggest you put a scrunchie on your wrist in the direction you are twisting and keep thinking about twisting towards the scrunchie.

This is a topic that not all coaches agree on. A left round off is a right twist, left round offers want to twist naturally to their right. But if you are doing twisting skills which step out you are going to want to naturally step out with your left foot from a left twist. If you watch international level gymnasts you will see that even at that level not all coaches agree.

Coaches do not all agree on this topic and most adamant one way of the other, so getting advice on the internet is not going to work best for you. You are going to need to work with your own coach and their preferences with this.

Twisting one way and back the other is very common when you learn front twisting. When you are upside down it feels like you are going a different way to when you are right side up. At first when you do this skill correctly it will feel wrong and when you do it incorrectly it will feel correct. I suggest you put a scrunchie on your wrist in the direction you are twisting and keep thinking about twisting towards the scrunchie.

Thank you for answering. I will use your advice for the future. Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back