Summer Camps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What summer camp are you going to this year?
I'll be doing my gym's summer camp which is just like a week of regular but longer practices with a snack break. Thats when most new skills are started because its like the first practices after nationals.

I'm also going to Woodward. I went last year and it was awesome. I liked it a lot better than IGC. I went to IGC as a 10 year old level 5 which is maybe why i liked Woodward better because I went as a 14 year old Level 8.

I wish I could go to a camp but my gym doesn't allow the gymnast to go to camps. We are only allowed to attend practice at our gym in the summer. Its sooo stupid but my coaches are really rude and mean. I hate my coaches but hey i saw an add for Woodward and it looks cool have a great time there! Wish i could go:):):):):):D

I will hopefully be going to Lake Owen with a couple of my friends and also hopefully a local college one too.:)

I wish I could go to a camp but my gym doesn't allow the gymnast to go to camps. We are only allowed to attend practice at our gym in the summer. Its sooo stupid but my coaches are really rude and mean. I hate my coaches but hey i saw an add for Woodward and it looks cool have a great time there! Wish i could go:):):):):):D

Oh wow that sucks! I wonder why they have silly rules like that? Its not like you are checking out other gyms, you are just going to camp to have fun!

I've heard the argument that nobody really learns anything at camp and they strap you up in a harness then you chuck double backs.
But I do learn stuff a lot of stuff at camp.

Camps overpriced/overrated

At one point I was absolutely enamored with IGC, but I actually had a terrible time there, and it was VERY expensive. I learned a lot more and had more fun at U of M gymnastics camp (UMgym.com - Facilities - Summer Camp of Champions).

Later, just like gymnastrelo, my coaches forbid us to go to camps. They argued that we would learn bad habits, get hyped up about skills we weren't ready for, or spoiled by the equipment. To make up for it, my gym had its own camp and brought in a lot of cool guest coaches.

Honestly, I think my coaches had the right idea. IGC was a huge waste of my parents money!

However gymnastrelo, if you really hate your coaches consider switching gyms. Gymnastics is supposed to be fun!! A lot of girls transfered to my gym and couldnt believe how awesome gymnastics could be until they got to a good gym.

At one point I was absolutely enamored with IGC, but I actually had a terrible time there, and it was VERY expensive. I learned a lot more and had more fun at U of M gymnastics camp (UMgym.com - Facilities - Summer Camp of Champions).

Later, just like gymnastrelo, my coaches forbid us to go to camps. They argued that we would learn bad habits, get hyped up about skills we weren't ready for, or spoiled by the equipment. To make up for it, my gym had its own camp and brought in a lot of cool guest coaches.

Honestly, I think my coaches had the right idea. IGC was a huge waste of my parents money!

However gymnastrelo, if you really hate your coaches consider switching gyms. Gymnastics is supposed to be fun!! A lot of girls transfered to my gym and couldnt believe how awesome gymnastics could be until they got to a good gym.

Thats weird this will be my 3rd year at IGC and I thought it was a bunch of fun! I live in Wisconsin but I used to live in PA so I've always gone back with friends every year. Also I go to Lake Owen. Also a bunch of fun! The only thing is you have to know what you want to get accomplished during camp or you will maybe learn one new skill. My first year at IGC I just had fun with friends and didn't learn a thing! :) But the next year I actually had motives and got much accomplished.
Last summer I could get in another full twist on floor so I was doing quad fulls into the pit! Also they have the best quality equptment and most fun activities. I highly suggest both camps!

sorry, let me explain

Sorry, I didn't mean to hate on IGC, this was just my own personal interpretation.
to explain:

I feel like a good camp should focus on
1) making friends/ having fun
2) Gymnastics (excellent coaching, top quality equipment)

IGC offered a lot of extra activities/features/luxuries, but for me it was not worth the extra money when other camps (ie U of M) fulfilled all the criteria I was looking for

(...why i did not enjoy IGC had a lot to do with me getting stuck with all super rich and exclusive girls in my cabin at a point in my life when I was really shy. At the time, I attributed the snobbishness of these girls to the high cost of the camp, but in hindsight, it was really just bad luck. )

to summarize: IGC doesn't suck it just didn't work out for me at the time

Anyway gym4life!- I'm glad you had great experiences (and I am also SUPER impressed by your quad twists!) are you elite? sorry just curious/impressed

Anyway gym4life!- I'm glad you had great experiences (and I am also SUPER impressed by your quad twists!) are you elite? sorry just curious/impressed

Thanks! I'm currently level 10/Pre elite. I have been a member of most programs looking for talented young gymnasts (TOPS, HOPES, etc.) and I'm currently considered junior pre elite. The only difference between junior elite and junior pre elite is that you need different scores. I've almost got junior elite (need .5 more on optional routines). I am glad to see your so intrested. I can try to help answer any other questions.

Well I'm not going anywhere this summer, but next summer I will be old enough to work at Woodward West, which means free room and board and stuff :]]] That means a lot for me because my parents won't be paying for the camp, and airline will be expensive on stop of the camp cost. I've heard a lot from my friends about the camps, and I'm very excited to go.

You guys are all so lucky! I can't afford Woodward or IGC or anything really :(

But if I could pick any camp it'd be Woodward.

I've heard mixed stuff about IGC... Some people love it and some people don't... I think it really depends on who you get bunked in with. I heard some poor kid got stuck in a group of super competitive people, while another girl made loads of friends.

IM SO EXCITED! my parents at first wanted to send me to a university camp so i could have coaches get acquainted with me and become familiar with me. but then my had a brochure for FLIPFEST and i talked my parents into letting me go there! i am so excited to go since this will be my first gymnastics camp!

WOW!! That suxx!! Do you know why??? Have you considered switching gyms if your coaches are really rude and mean i mean not just about the camp thing but other things to?????????

IM SO EXCITED! my parents at first wanted to send me to a university camp so i could have coaches get acquainted with me and become familiar with me. but then my had a brochure for FLIPFEST and i talked my parents into letting me go there! i am so excited to go since this will be my first gymnastics camp!

Thats exciting! I remember my first time I went to gymnastics camp. It was like 5 years ago when I was eight. But there always a ton of fun. I hope you have a good time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back