WAG Random injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

CLgym

Proud Parent
My DD came home from practice on Saturday complaining of significant tailbone pain. She said it started suddenly when she jumped very hard on the springboard for vault (tsuk entry). She did not tell anyone, and continued on with her full practice although she said just about everything hurt her tailbone after that. Fast forward to today (Monday morning), and she is still in significant pain. Especially hard to bend down. I gave her ibuprofen before school today, and last night before bed. Regionals is in a few days.

Obviously not looking for medical advice, and will see a doc if things don't improve soon. She describes the pain as exactly the same as falling onto your backside when ice skating (something both she and I have unfortunately done before) -- so I'm guessing it's a bruised coccyx. It's just so weird to me that this happened without any kind of fall. Curious if anyone has experience with an injury like this simply from jumping on the springboard?

Obviously not a doctor, and not even a former gymnast, but I know from personal experience a herniated disc in the L5-S1 area can cause that kind of pain. I can see that happening from the force of hitting the springboard. If she gets any radiating pain (ie, down a leg) or any numbness, make sure to take her to the doc asap. If you end up at the doc because either the pain doesn't resolve or it intensifies, make sure they don't blow it off and get an MRI. I had an untreated herniated disc for 20 years, dating from when I was 14, and there's not much that can be done for nerve damage after that long.

I hope this is helpful and not scary! It really is likely nothing serious, but if the pain doesn't resolve quickly or any radiating pain or numbness does start, fight for that MRI.

Definitely possible. I jumped off my bed and bruised it, it had been hurting for 5 years before it went away. If it doesn't at least get better (requires ibuprofen sounds quite bad to me, though I hate painkillers and hardly take them), I would take her to a doctor just to be sure

I'm so sorry. I have no advice, but I had a bruised coccyx from childbirth (fun, huh?) and even 10 years later I have phantom pain from time to time. It is very painful! I hope it improves quickly!

My DD came home from practice on Saturday complaining of significant tailbone pain. She said it started suddenly when she jumped very hard on the springboard for vault (tsuk entry). She did not tell anyone, and continued on with her full practice although she said just about everything hurt her tailbone after that. Fast forward to today (Monday morning), and she is still in significant pain. Especially hard to bend down. I gave her ibuprofen before school today, and last night before bed. Regionals is in a few days.

Obviously not looking for medical advice, and will see a doc if things don't improve soon. She describes the pain as exactly the same as falling onto your backside when ice skating (something both she and I have unfortunately done before) -- so I'm guessing it's a bruised coccyx. It's just so weird to me that this happened without any kind of fall. Curious if anyone has experience with an injury like this simply from jumping on the springboard?
But she did nt fall onto her tailbone? I don;t see hwo it can be bruised if she just umped hard. Sounds like some other issue. I would get it checked out ASAP.

Right, no fall.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Will keep you posted - but the good news is that today was a quite a bit better. Planning to reach out to her pediatric sports doc (orthopedic surgeon) who has been treating her other, unrelated back pain. Doc said to call if there is anything new or different.... and this definitely qualifies! Strange for sure.

Reactions: sce
Hopefully it's nothing and I would probably have it checked out just to make sure it isn't something with her back (though I see you updated that it is better so hopefully it's fine). With that said, I injured my tailbone when I was 10ish (doing something stupid - involving roller skates, a broom tied to a bicycle and a concrete floor). I still have pain from certain activities, nearly 30 years later. It's just never been the same since.

Doesn't sound super serious at the moment. I'd wait a few days and if there's no improvement, take her to the dr.

A teammate of my daughter went to the Dr today because of tailbone pain. Dr. said it is just muscular, stretch this week with no pounding and should be fine in two weeks. Hope your story ends similarly!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back