Parents Level 5 Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Avasmom

Proud Parent
My daughter will be competing level 5 in September. I have read on CB the scoring is really tough in level 5. Her coach requires them to get a 35 at one meet and then at state which is in December to move up. Her coach feels like level 5 is really valuable. While I was hoping she would do level 6 it's not my decision.I have some questions because my child is such a perfectionist she stresses me out. I prefer not to have her stress because that makes me stress. I like to be one step ahead of her.
Is the vault scored the same as level 4 or harsher? It seems pretty boring to my dd. She's got her half on and her vault has always been pretty good. She can generally count on vault being at least a 9.
Bars is good too.
Beam is hmmm. If she would stay on the beam she would score in the 9's. Last year the cartwheel killed her but when she stuck it she scored well. How can you make that back walkover 80% of the time and not your full turn? The full turn is killing her. It's just been in the past 2 weeks she started having problems. I got to practice a few minutes early yesterday and watched her struggle. The coach made her do her routine over and over until she got the full turn. She never really stuck it. She didn't fall but had some wobbles. Any suggestions? Anything she can try at home?
Floor is good too. Her front tuck needs to be better but level 5 is very similar to the level 4 routine. She did well on floor in level 4. Tumbling is her strength.

It sounds like she should do fine! I don't think level 5 is that different than 4 scoring wise honestly. I think the vault is expected to be better than level 4, so I feel like the scoring is a little harder, but nothing unreasonable. If she did good in vault in level 4, she should do great in 5. I think bars is where some girls seems to struggle, but you said she is good there. A lot of girls struggle with the full turn including mine. She will be a level 8 and is doing BHS BLO on beam and still wobbles on her full turn. I think it's a lot harder than it looks. lol

I think when a lot of people talk about scoring being harder, they mostly mean that it can be harder to place well because of the competition. My daughter had a great level 5 season and was well prepared and scored and placed well. But there were girls that she was competing with that were basically level 7s already. They finished their level 5 state meet in December and less than a month later were scoring 37/38's at their first level 7 meet of the season! Plus many of the more competitive gyms in our state compete 5 and then 7 and the not quite as competitive ones tend to score out of 5 and compete 6. So while there are fewer level 5's competing, the ones that are all from the more competitive gyms. That might be unique to our state though.

Regardless, it sounds like she should do well in 5. I wouldn't stress about it.

How can you make that back walkover 80% of the time and not your full turn?

Because it’s different.
Because each kid is different.

Because each kid has their unique strengths and weakness and the thing that is the bane of their gymnastics existence.

And then they get it and then it’s something else

DF...Insert skill

CW, Turn, Leap, BWO, BHS, Giant, Tuck, Twist, Pirouette......... and on and on....

You don’t need to be one step ahead of her.

You just need to be her Mom and biggest fan......... lots of hugs, don’t worry you’ll get it’s, remember when you thought xyz was hard and you got it. Focus on what’s good, the hard work, the effort......

I love watching you do gymnastics.

Have fun, do your best........

A nice Pinot Grigio helps too :cool:

Signed the mom waiting for years to see a DFG:rolleyes:

The full turn is murder. My daughter had a cartwheel and a beautiful BWO, but I didn't think she was ever going to get the full turn. This season she has to put flight on the beam, but it is so, so much less stressful than that full turn. Don't underestimate how hard some of these skills are just because they seem from the parent viewing area that they should be "easy."

I shy away from "helping" at home because my daughter does not unlearn bad habits easily, (and she honestly just doesn't like to gym at home) but her coaches said the best homework to help the full turn is to stand on one foot in releve - butt under, shoulders down, arms wherever your coach has them put them for full turns - and try to hold that position for as long as they can - I think she said 7 seconds was what she was working up to.

My daughter will be competing level 5 in September. I have read on CB the scoring is really tough in level 5. Her coach requires them to get a 35 at one meet and then at state which is in December to move up. Her coach feels like level 5 is really valuable. While I was hoping she would do level 6 it's not my decision.I have some questions because my child is such a perfectionist she stresses me out. I prefer not to have her stress because that makes me stress. I like to be one step ahead of her.
Is the vault scored the same as level 4 or harsher? It seems pretty boring to my dd. She's got her half on and her vault has always been pretty good. She can generally count on vault being at least a 9.
Bars is good too.
Beam is hmmm. If she would stay on the beam she would score in the 9's. Last year the cartwheel killed her but when she stuck it she scored well. How can you make that back walkover 80% of the time and not your full turn? The full turn is killing her. It's just been in the past 2 weeks she started having problems. I got to practice a few minutes early yesterday and watched her struggle. The coach made her do her routine over and over until she got the full turn. She never really stuck it. She didn't fall but had some wobbles. Any suggestions? Anything she can try at home?
Floor is good too. Her front tuck needs to be better but level 5 is very similar to the level 4 routine. She did well on floor in level 4. Tumbling is her strength.
The level 5 routines are not as simliar as you think. The bars angles are different and required to be higher, there’s a free hip, and a flyaway. The deductions on these skills alone are many. On beam, there’s a BWO, full turn, higher split angles, longer holds. On floor, there’s a front tuck, higher split angles, a back tuck series that must rise, etc. The scoring is tougher because the requirements are tougher, that’s why the required mobility score is lower than level 4. Vault is the same.

I think when a lot of people talk about scoring being harder, they mostly mean that it can be harder to place well because of the competition. My daughter had a great level 5 season and was well prepared and scored and placed well. But there were girls that she was competing with that were basically level 7s already. They finished their level 5 state meet in December and less than a month later were scoring 37/38's at their first level 7 meet of the season! Plus many of the more competitive gyms in our state compete 5 and then 7 and the not quite as competitive ones tend to score out of 5 and compete 6. So while there are fewer level 5's competing, the ones that are all from the more competitive gyms. That might be unique to our state though.

Regardless, it sounds like she should do well in 5. I wouldn't stress about it.
At least over here the bars and the floor were scored significantly harder than 4. Just tons of deductions in the bar routine in particular. I didn’t see a huge difference in vault and beam scoring fwiw. 37s were extremely rare on level 5, but much more common on 4.

It’s not that it is scored “harder”. The expectations are increased. Angles and height of skills etc.....

The level expectations are harder not the scoring

It’s not that it is scored “harder”. The expectations are increased. Angles and height of skills etc.....

The level expectations are harder not the scoring
You are arguing semantics again. Yes, the expectations for level 5 are increased, the routines are more complex, there are more deductions, and the judging or scoring of the routines is therefore “harder,” more stringent, etc. Please fill in the word that you feel best fits. I was a tabulator for bars at two meets just this past season, and the judges commented that it is a hard routine to judge with numerous deductions.

At least over here the bars and the floor were scored significantly harder than 4. Just tons of deductions in the bar routine in particular. I didn’t see a huge difference in vault and beam scoring fwiw. 37s were extremely rare on level 5, but much more common on 4.

I guess it does depend on the state. 37 and 38s are pretty common here. Check out the results from the state meet this past year (this is not the year my dd competed). Look at the bar scores in particular. :oops:We saw similar high scores in level 7 this year. For example, my dd scored a 9.525 on bars at state this year and she tied for 10th in her age group. I guess you could argue that judging is easier here, but they are scoring similar in out of state meets. It's interesting comparing different areas though.

You are arguing semantics again.

I’m not arguing anything.

Each level gets harder. That’s just the way it is. 3 is harder then 2. 4 is harder then 3. 5 is harder then 4.....

Things like cast heights, leap angles get harder. That is not scores. The score is about what is expected.

120 is Ok at one level
Next level 150 is expected.
Then 180.

If a kid is not improving their scores go down because they are not meeting expectations

Cartwheels in beam are a challenging skill for a lot of gymnasts, many can make their back walkover and back handspring straight but not the cartwheel. So she may find Level 5 beam a lot easier in that respect. Still it is very valuable to have a solid cartwheel on the beam, as a lead up to cartwheel back tuck dismounts and round offs. The main issue is usually the gymnast is not turning the second hand in (t hands), and not turning their shoulder and hip so they end up square to the end of the beam.

Back walkover only 80% of the time may be an issue for her. She needs to make sure her front leg is starting up at horizontal and travelling back with her hands almost like there is a string attached between her foot and her hands. This is a common cause of back walkover beam falls, as well as crooked hand placement.

For the full turn, starting with good posture helps a lot, a lean in any direction will be exaggerated when she turns. She should be trying to pull up into the turn (a lot of kids pull forward), like there is a string pulling her up to the ceiling. A lot of kids also fall because they stop the turn to early, dropping the heel of the supporting leg to early, of putting the arms out to finish. She needs to wait until her hips are facing the end of the beam, and try to spot it with her eyes.

Front tuck on floor is helped with a good long and low hurdle, similar to hurdling onto the beat board for vault, making sure her body is nice and tight on take off and she is bouncing off the balls of her feet in a high releve. Fast arms to ears on the hurdle are also important and making sure there is no forward lean on the take off, if she takes off down the skill won’t go up.

I’m not arguing anything.

Each level gets harder. That’s just the way it is. 3 is harder then 2. 4 is harder then 3. 5 is harder then 4.....

Things like cast heights, leap angles get harder. That is not scores. The score is about what is expected.

120 is Ok at one level
Next level 150 is expected.
Then 180.

If a kid is not improving their scores go down because they are not meeting expectations
What are you talking about? You are totally arguing semantics. This is the very definition of arguing semantics. It’s ridiculous. We agree!! We agree! The scores go down because the level is harder.

And I will just add that the scores do trend higher in levels 6&7 than level 5 which is a COMPULSORY level because the optional levels have some latitude to tailor routines to the gymnast’s strengths.

I guess it does depend on the state. 37 and 38s are pretty common here. Check out the results from the state meet this past year (this is not the year my dd competed). Look at the bar scores in particular. :oops:We saw similar high scores in level 7 this year. For example, my dd scored a 9.525 on bars at state this year and she tied for 10th in her age group. I guess you could argue that judging is easier here, but they are scoring similar in out of state meets. It's interesting comparing different areas though.
Yes, high scores are common on levels 6&7. I am specifically talking about level 5 and level 5 only.
ETA: well, yes, Everest and bull city are very strong gymnastics programs and North Carolina is a strong state. We do not typically see those scores on level 5 over here.

And fall on them. Remember Gabby falling on hers at Olympic Trials in 1996?
I think you mean 2016-- but yes. Exactly what I came here to say. Full turns are hard. Much harder than they look from the audience. I found back walkovers to be a much more straightforward skill than turns assuming there aren't flexibility or fear issue getting in the way.

Yes, NC. This is typical, but also 7 new Top 100 scores on bars at state? Sounds like generous scoring. But yes, any time Southeastern Sonshine, Everest, Bull City, and High Point are competing, these are the scores you’ll see. These scores aren’t quite that high, but they are pretty high and these are pretty typical. http://www.mymeetscores.com/meet.pl?meetid=1000001813&pb=N&ts=&level=5

Yes, NC. This is typical, but also 7 new Top 100 scores on bars at state? Sounds like generous scoring. But yes, any time Southeastern Sonshine, Everest, Bull City, and High Point are competing, these are the scores you’ll see. These scores aren’t quite that high, but they are pretty high and these are pretty typical. http://www.mymeetscores.com/meet.pl?meetid=1000001813&pb=N&ts=&level=5
Yes, very strong and good gyms! Georgia is also good. NC and Georgia kind of dominate at regionals. Maybe Florida too. But agree that possibly generous scoring. Our highest score this past year at States on bars was a 9.05.

My girls had an easier time with the bwo on the beam by the way. The cartwheel drove my older one nuts. And the full turn is a beast even on level 10! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back