Parents Switch from artistic to rhythmic?????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastmomma2010

Proud Parent
Did anyones kiddo switch to rhythmic? How did it pan out. DD is 9 and thinking she may want to make the switch. She is super flexible and Im told she has naturally pretty lines. But rhythmic seems to require alot of focus. She is aware that she may not be able to compete right away. But she would like to compete eventually. Would that be a possibility? Any advice on what to expect? TIA

My daughter did xcel, then JO, then rhythmic and T&T, then JO, then Xcel, now college club gym. We’ve been through it all! Ha ha! I’m guessing if you’re asking the question you’re at least in an area that has a rhythmic gym? That’s usually a big hurdle as there aren’t too many gyms across the country. My daughter adored her time I rhythmic and found it very welcoming. Meets were filled with more drama and tears than she was accustomed to, but she had an incredible time. Can you take your DD for a trial class or four before deciding?

My daughter did xcel, then JO, then rhythmic and T&T, then JO, then Xcel, now college club gym. We’ve been through it all! Ha ha! I’m guessing if you’re asking the question you’re at least in an area that has a rhythmic gym? That’s usually a big hurdle as there aren’t too many gyms across the country. My daughter adored her time I rhythmic and found it very welcoming. Meets were filled with more drama and tears than she was accustomed to, but she had an incredible time. Can you take your DD for a trial class or four before deciding?

We actually have one only 15 minutes away. Closer than her current gym actually lol. And they agreed to let her come try it out. She actually tried rhythmic and artistic both when she was 6, but ultimately decided on artistic. The try out was at the same rhythmic gym I will be taking her for her trial class. When she was 6 they had planned to put her in their advanced class until she got used to the apparatuses and then they would put her on team. They had mentioned then that 6 was kind of old to start rhythmic, but since she was so naturally flexible they thought it would be ok. Im wondering if that will still be the case now that shes 9??

We actually have one only 15 minutes away. Closer than her current gym actually lol. And they agreed to let her come try it out. She actually tried rhythmic and artistic both when she was 6, but ultimately decided on artistic. The try out was at the same rhythmic gym I will be taking her for her trial class. When she was 6 they had planned to put her in their advanced class until she got used to the apparatuses and then they would put her on team. They had mentioned then that 6 was kind of old to start rhythmic, but since she was so naturally flexible they thought it would be ok. Im wondering if that will still be the case now that shes 9??
Wow that so narrow minded imo. My daughter did rhythmic at 15. Ha- they would’ve been besides themselves with her! Are they having her come in to try a team practice to see where she fits?

Wow that so narrow minded imo. My daughter did rhythmic at 15. Ha- they would’ve been besides themselves with her! Are they having her come in to try a team practice to see where she fits?

Thats kind of what I thought too. 6 is not that old to me. 9 doesnt even seem that old. It seems like they are really trying to build a name for themselves tbh, and I know in artistic some gyms will be really picky about age, maybe its the same in rhythmic? And even though this gym is 15 minutes away the only other option is about an hour away and is owned by the same person lol. The next closest rhythmic gym after that is 4 hours away. So if DD wants rhythmic this is her only option atm. Lol.

But no, she is just going to their beginner class and the coach said they will evaluate her from there.

Thats kind of what I thought too. 6 is not that old to me. 9 doesnt even seem that old. It seems like they are really trying to build a name for themselves tbh, and I know in artistic some gyms will be really picky about age, maybe its the same in rhythmic? And even though this gym is 15 minutes away the only other option is about an hour away and is owned by the same person lol. The next closest rhythmic gym after that is 4 hours away. So if DD wants rhythmic this is her only option atm. Lol.

But no, she is just going to their beginner class and the coach said they will evaluate her from there.
I’m guessing the trial will probably greatly inform the decision then. If they tell you she’s too old for team that would be that. If they hedge I would ask direct questions.

Mine has recently expressed interest in rhythmic as well. She still competes artistic though (training IGC Silver). She is going to try a regular private, because rec classes seem too basic. What she needs is apparatus work. She is excited about it and starts next week.

My question for any that have done this switch -- what level could she expect to do next year if she decided to do it competitively? (She is 11)

So my DD ultimately decided on power tumbling instead of rhythmic. But the plan for her for rhythmic was to put her in the advanced class for about a month and then move her to their level 5 team. She was training levels 5/6/7 in artistic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back