WAG Bendy Gymnast in Compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mompoul

Proud Parent
My DD has severe hyper mobility; she passes the EDS flexibility test with flying colors. She’s a level 4 and it has been a frustrating journey for her. She can do all of the skills, but has a hard time pushing her knee caps down. Her straight leg doesn’t look straight and the judges dock her big time for this. We try to work with her on learning what a looked knee and a tight body feels like.
Anyone have any encouragement or advice on how to teach this? I feel bad that something basic like body tightness is so hard for her to get.

Many gymnasts struggle with body tightness in the beginning. All gymnasts improve through years of practice. How much will depend on their anatomy.

As far as straightening her legs, I’m not certain I understand. If she has hyper mobility, her knees should be hyper extended. Can she straighten her legs naturally or do her knees appear bent naturally? If it is the former, she may be lacking the leg muscles (i.e., quads, hamstrings) to lift the leg straight. You can have her do grand battement (ballet term for leg single leg lifts). While in first position, have her point her toes in front, lift the legs quickly as high as she can and lower it slowly with control. Do this 4-8x front, side and back with both legs. They probably do this at the gym already.

If it is the latter, she may need to stretch her hamstrings. Have her sit on the floor with legs extended to the front. Put a matt, oh 2-4 inches high. Put her feet on the mat and have her press the back of her knees down. Have her keep practicing this and holding it down. This exercise is good even if she is hyper flexible. It should teach her how it feels to straighten her legs.

Alternatively, ballet classes may be a good idea.

My DD has severe hyper mobility; she passes the EDS flexibility test with flying colors. She’s a level 4 and it has been a frustrating journey for her. She can do all of the skills, but has a hard time pushing her knee caps down. Her straight leg doesn’t look straight and the judges dock her big time for this. We try to work with her on learning what a looked knee and a tight body feels like.
Anyone have any encouragement or advice on how to teach this? I feel bad that something basic like body tightness is so hard for her to get.

I would say don't worry about it. Most gymnasts deviate from the preferred norm in being too tight, or too bendy. I have one of each. All gymnasts live with some deductions that are just part of who they are: legs that don't straighten, hyperextended elbows, etc. Just know that your daughter is not alone with these deductions.

My DD has a similar issue and as her leg muscles developed, her knees now look straighter, although never quite as good as some others. Flexibility will help her have pretty leaps and jumps later on!

We have had 3 gymnasts on our team with EDS-Hypermobility type.
The following is NOT medical advice, but an anecdotal account.
One of them is super, super bendy. She uses KT tape on her knees and ankles - she said it helps her "feel" when her legs are straight. She has made it through compulsories and is now in Level 7 and doing well.
We actually have 2 that are in Level 7 this year. The 3rd graduated last year as an Xcel Platinum.

Thank you for your comments! I've thought about KT tape to give her feedback. At practice last night, she was so loose, until the coaches would stop her, do a drill to remind her of body tension and then, magically, she could do the skill with a tight body. Ugh. She said it's so hard for her to remember and I think it actually takes a lot of work to get her brain and body to connect. In a
Many gymnasts struggle with body tightness in the beginning. All gymnasts improve through years of practice. How much will depend on their anatomy.

As far as straightening her legs, I’m not certain I understand. If she has hyper mobility, her knees should be hyper extended. Can she straighten her legs naturally or do her knees appear bent naturally? If it is the former, she may be lacking the leg muscles (i.e., quads, hamstrings) to lift the leg straight. You can have her do grand battement (ballet term for leg single leg lifts). While in first position, have her point her toes in front, lift the legs quickly as high as she can and lower it slowly with control. Do this 4-8x front, side and back with both legs. They probably do this at the gym already.

If it is the latter, she may need to stretch her hamstrings. Have her sit on the floor with legs extended to the front. Put a matt, oh 2-4 inches high. Put her feet on the mat and have her press the back of her knees down. Have her keep practicing this and holding it down. This exercise is good even if she is hyper flexible. It should teach her how it feels to straighten her legs.

Alternatively, ballet classes may be a good idea.

Both her legs and her arms hyperextend A LOT. She has been taught in PT, however, that correct form when weight bearing is NOT to hyperextend her legs and arms. The problem with this is in a routine, this is not considered straight. She needs to lock her legs out in a hyperextended position for them to look straight for the judges and for them to fully see the muscles in her legs. So I think this is all so confusing for her. Last night at practice, she was so loose until a coach would pull her aside and do a quick body tension drill with her. Then, magically, she could do the skill with a tight body. She says it is so hard for her to remember, but I think what it really is is that she thinks she is being taught but she actually isn't.

We have had 3 gymnasts on our team with EDS-Hypermobility type.
The following is NOT medical advice, but an anecdotal account.
One of them is super, super bendy. She uses KT tape on her knees and ankles - she said it helps her "feel" when her legs are straight. She has made it through compulsories and is now in Level 7 and doing well.
We actually have 2 that are in Level 7 this year. The 3rd graduated last year as an Xcel Platinum.

I've wondered about KT tape to give her feedback. How do you put it on? Have them lock out their leg completely and pull the tape tight?

I've wondered about KT tape to give her feedback. How do you put it on? Have them lock out their leg completely and pull the tape tight?
I would have to ask the gymnast or her mom ... and she is currently injured plus this week is optional practice. She might be at our Christmas party Thursday and I can ask her then if she is. ... but what you suggested sounds like it would work. Maybe talk to your DD's doctor or a PT??

Let me just say, as a dancer, I’ve always envied girls who are hyper extended. I still believe she’ll get tighter with more practice and as she builds more strength. Muscle memory will kick in. And once she remembers to straighten her legs and keep the tension in her body, she’ll have the most beautiful lines!

I would have to ask the gymnast or her mom ... and she is currently injured plus this week is optional practice. She might be at our Christmas party Thursday and I can ask her then if she is. ... but what you suggested sounds like it would work. Maybe talk to your DD's doctor or a PT??

If you have a chance to ask, I would appreciate it. I'll talk to her physical therapist about this next week, but if I had more info on someone else with the same problem and how they were using the kt tape for feedback, it might help that conversation. Thanks!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back