Parents Reason to go on..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

funkyshoes

Proud Parent
Our daughter has moved into WAG Juniors this year within Gymnastics Australia and in a few weeks she will be trialing at the AIS for an opportunity to make the Junior squad to represent Australia at Gymnix in Montreal Canada in March. Trialing at the AIS has our daughter sitting in the top 30 of elite gymnasts and a successful trial could put her in the top 20 but to what avail.

One big decision we as parents have to make is what is the future for an elite gymnast in Australia beyond a Gymnix or World cup etc given we have no National WAG coach and a massive depletion in funds available to support our elite gymnasts.

I don't know much at all about gymnastcs in Australia and from what you describe, I'm not sure that i'd consider it worth my DD's time or my money to pursue elite, but there is definite value in continuing gymnastics even with no chance for elite. My kids don't have a shot at the Olympics or even college gym, but so far they both consider it worth their time and effort to continue even though they are in high school.

I don't know much at all about gymnastcs in Australia and from what you describe, I'm not sure that i'd consider it worth my DD's time or my money to pursue elite, but there is definite value in continuing gymnastics even with no chance for elite. My kids don't have a shot at the Olympics or even college gym, but so far they both consider it worth their time and effort to continue even though they are in high school.
I hear what your saying and there is no lack of passion or desire from our daughters perspective but financially it's a burden and substantial drain on the hip pocket for training at over 32 hours a week plus massage and physio plus comp fees and travel etc etc.

At one point there was financial support for those that made Junior and Senior Squads and that was some light at the end of the tunnel but now that support is all but gone. And you can imagine the cost of International travel when you live so far across the world from say the US or Europe.

Yes there is the lower levels but it's hard for a gymnast to step down when they have been at the elite level for over 5 years.

I hear what your saying and there is no lack of passion or desire from our daughters perspective but financially it's a burden and substantial drain on the hip pocket for training at over 32 hours a week plus massage and physio plus comp fees and travel etc etc.

At one point there was financial support for those that made Junior and Senior Squads and that was some light at the end of the tunnel but now that support is all but gone. And you can imagine the cost of International travel when you live so far across the world from say the US or Europe.

Yes there is the lower levels but it's hard for a gymnast to step down when they have been at the elite level for over 5 years.

Honestly, I'd probably tell he it is best to step down to doing the equivalent of US JO L10. I wouldn't go into debt and have her miss that much of her life for something that is unlikely to go anywhere. There are many girls in the US who start out elite track and then back off to do L10, usually aiming for college. I would think that your DD could set her sites on college in the US if she wants to do this after high school. Kaitlyn Ohashi had been elite level, she was the top of the pack, but she dealt with crap and ended up stepping back some and seems to be much happier after stepping out of elite. There are several girls in the US who have been on the national team and stepped back out of elite.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back