Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Ty’s Dad 42 states have stay-at-home orders. Among those 42 states, not all have essential business operation restrictions. Some cities have additional limitations and curfews.

I loved @skschlag 's post. It will be challenging for the sport and for individuals to navigate different standards, medical advice, and personal choices as the sport comes back to life. A child in rural Tennessee with a coach willing to train one-on-one, 6 feet apart may have more training opportunities than a child in Houston with state and city restrictions whose gym is unable to support one-at-a-time or five-at-a-time social distancing training.

So, if the governor of your state, in cooperation with the public health department, has outlined a plan of slowly opening things, and the parameters required, then that is not ok? I think we need to think about the fact that different states are in different places during this time, and will reopen at different times, with parameters in place. I listened to the mayor, the public health department, and our governor yesterday, and all said the same thing, and the plan has been been worked out amongst all 3.

It depends on whether your state and local officials are making evidence-based decisions and have the resources (testing, contact tracing, isolation) to implement a containment strategy after reopening. Right now we are in mitigation. If we reopen gyms, schools, and businesses, we will end up in one of two situations: 1) containment, including widespread testing, contact tracing for all confirmed infections, and isolation of exposed persons to restrict the spread of the virus and prevent a resurgence; OR 2) unbridled spread of the virus. Which of these alternatives comes to fruition depends on many variables, including production and distribution of testing supplies.

A government decision to reopen gyms would be a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for me to send my child back. Until our state implements a robust containment strategy that includes widespread testing, contact tracing, and isolation, AND there are very few confirmed infections, our family will be staying in no matter what the governor says.

@Ty’s Dad 42 states have stay-at-home orders. Among those 42 states, not all have essential business operation restrictions. Some cities have additional limitations and curfews.

I loved @skschlag 's post. It will be challenging for the sport and for individuals to navigate different standards, medical advice, and personal choices as the sport comes back to life. A child in rural Tennessee with a coach willing to train one-on-one, 6 feet apart may have more training opportunities than a child in Houston with state and city restrictions whose gym is unable to support one-at-a-time or five-at-a-time social distancing training.
Right. This will not be a “level playing field” again for quite some time. Not that it ever was a level playing field before COVID! The training opportunities in Texas or California can’t compare to the training opportunities in some of the more rural states. It’s not the only sport with competitive, overboard parents, but it’s one of the worst I’ve seen. And now I predict it’s going to get even worse sadly. :(

It depends on whether your state and local officials are making evidence-based decisions and have the resources (testing, contact tracing, isolation) to implement a containment strategy after reopening. Right now we are in mitigation. If we reopen gyms, schools, and businesses, we will end up in one of two situations: 1) containment, including widespread testing, contact tracing for all confirmed infections, and isolation of exposed persons to restrict the spread of the virus and prevent a resurgence; OR 2) unbridled spread of the virus. Which of these alternatives comes to fruition depends on many variables, including production and distribution of testing supplies.

A government decision to reopen gyms would be a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for me to send my child back. Until our state implements a robust containment strategy that includes widespread testing, contact tracing, and isolation, AND there are very few confirmed infections, our family will be staying in no matter what the governor says.

After listening to our public health dept and the governor, and hearing them say the same things, and seeing the plan and how slow and deliberate it is, then yes, I feel good about what they are doing. They have in place many of the things you are saying.

My point of my post is this, though. My point of the post has nothing to do with what I think should be in place. It is more about supporting one another as we navigate these uncharted territories. Not putting down people who make a different decision for their family than you make for yours. Being supportive and helpful. We are going to need that. That goes both ways. Those sending kids back need to support those making the decision to stay home as well.

People that said no if the gym opens in small numbers my question is why? Grocery stores allow 35 people in at a time. Hell Costco, Target, Walmart, and Home Depot allow 85 people in, but you won’t let your daughter go back to a gym with 6-10 girls?
I don’t go in any of those stores either. Home means home. My family haven’t been in a public enclosed place for close to six weeks. Gym is still different from those places anyway. It’s sustained close contact indoors where masks won’t work.

I don’t go in any of those stores either. Home means home. My family haven’t been in a public enclosed place for close to six weeks. Gym is still different from those places anyway. It’s sustained close contact indoors where masks won’t work.

I think it depends on your gym. Ours is huge, and can easily keep from sustained close contact. This is why each situation is so different.

I haven't been out, but each member of my family has been to the store at least 1 time.

ETA: that is awesome that you have managed to stay home without going to a store!!!

People that said no if the gym opens in small numbers my question is why? Grocery stores allow 35 people in at a time. Hell Costco, Target, Walmart, and Home Depot allow 85 people in, but you won’t let your daughter go back to a gym with 6-10 girls?

We all have to eat. Some people have to go to work. Those are essential activities. No matter how you look at it, sports practice simply doesn't count as an essential activity, especially if you're not on track for the Olympics next year. To me the science is pretty clear: don't underestimate how many people each of those 10 girls, coaches and their families have been in contact with. Why add to your level of risk on top of what you already have when performing essential activities.

Everyone thinks they are an exception to the rule until they aren't. Is an Hopes championships title enough for me to endanger my community? No. If it is for you, that's your choice. But it might be time for people to start examining just how much power they're letting a sport have in their lives. At the end of the day it IS just a sport.

And Simone said she's not at the gym. That's what I went by.

We all have to eat. Some people have to go to work. Those are essential activities. No matter how you look at it, sports practice simply doesn't count as an essential activity, especially if you're not on track for the Olympics next year. To me the science is pretty clear: don't underestimate how many people each of those 10 girls, coaches and their families have been in contact with. Why add to your level of risk on top of what you already have when performing essential activities.

Everyone thinks they are an exception to the rule until they aren't. Is an Hopes championships title enough for me to endanger my community? No. If it is for you, that's your choice. But it might be time for people to start examining just how much power they're letting a sport have in their lives. At the end of the day it IS just a sport.

I hear what you are saying. It is true. Sport is sport.
but sport also improves mental health, immune system, etc.

I don't think sport has any power in my life, if we are following the health department recommendations, the parameters placed on everyone, and the precautions that we as a family have put in place, following public health guidelines.

IF gym decides to open, I will look at the state guidelines, the gym requirements, and our family's precautions and see what will work for us.

Of course she will say that, that’s what she’s supposed to say. But I know for a fact she’s in the gym M,W,F.

Everyone needs to understand that this could cause major shifts at some gyms. If you can only have a limited number of athletes in at a time... then you have to start thinking about which ones are going to be coming in from a business point of view. The ones that pay $6/hour... or the ones that pay $20+/hour?

Reactions: sce
Everyone needs to understand that this could cause major shifts at some gyms. If you can only have a limited number of athletes in at a time... then you have to start thinking about which ones are going to be coming in from a business point of view. The ones that pay $6/hour... or the ones that pay $20+/hour?

THis is true. Although I do expect that we will not be jumping right into our normal hours. Right now, I am continuing to pay tuition at a full rate. I anticipate practices being shorter, and maybe not every day, at least through the first couple of phases. SO I can see that my price per hour will actually be higher than during the usual times.

Or how about the older upper level gymnasts who have limited time left to be seen by colleges?? If I had an 8 year old compulsory gymnast I wouldn't want her to get coaching over a 16 year old level 10.

THis is true. Although I do expect that we will not be jumping right into our normal hours. Right now, I am continuing to pay tuition at a full rate. I anticipate practices being shorter, and maybe not every day, at least through the first couple of phases. SO I can see that my price per hour will actually be higher than during the usual times.

For sure... everyone should be ready for price increases as well. The way each individual gym handles this will be unique... one thing is for sure though... many gyms are running out of money quickly.

Or how about the older upper level gymnasts who have limited time left to be seen by colleges?? If I had an 8 year old compulsory gymnast I wouldn't want her to get coaching over a 16 year old level 10.

There is a chance that at many clubs the 4 year old preschooler will get coaching over the 8 year old compulsory gymnast due to the fact that all of the "team" coaches moved to new jobs and the gym has no real "team" coaches.

Just my thoughts, but I think it should only be Hopes/elites and level 10’s until the end of June or maybe July. I feel so bad for the girls going into senior year that needed these last two years for college.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back