Olympic hopeful training?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Agree with wanting to get everyone back, but I will admit that I struggle with rec. On the one hand, rec brings in a lot of revenue and seems important to the business model. On the other hand, it's A LOT of bodies coming through and will seemingly make it a lot more difficult to limit exposure. I'm not sure how that balance is going to be struck.
I think it's going to be very difficult with an economy heading into at very least a recession. I imagine a lot of kids won't be coming back to rec gym if there are a lot of parents out of work, which will radically reduce revenue for gyms. Team kids and parents have already made a big commitment to the sport, so I would think they'd be more likely to return (if it's financially feasible for those families), but will that revenue be enough to support gyms?

I am pretty sure they will bring our optionals back in several small groups of 5-6 to start. THat will happen for quite a while. I don't think they will go back to full hours either. I think it will be limited.
I always here that gyms lose money on their optionals teams. I could see gyms wanting the rec revenue and sacrificing optionals unless they have really high profile gymnasts.

I always here that gyms lose money on their optionals teams. I could see gyms wanting the rec revenue and sacrificing optionals unless they have really high profile gymnasts.
[/QUOTE

Our gym is doing the opposite and bringing back team first, but I could see smaller gyms doing what you mentioned.

When we are allowed to open, we plan on running all day long. The kids aren’t in school and most parents are working from home. We will start the first group at 7:30 and run until 4:15. We will run small preschool and rec classes in the evening. We will have breaks between every group to clean and to keep the numbers down. Rec does pay better but Team is more loyal. Small groups will only require one coach at a time.

When we are allowed to open, we plan on running all day long. The kids aren’t in school and most parents are working from home. We will start the first group at 7:30 and run until 4:15. We will run small preschool and rec classes in the evening. We will have breaks between every group to clean and to keep the numbers down. Rec does pay better but Team is more loyal. Small groups will only require one coach at a time.

Interesting! Will team go their usual number of hours, or will those need to be reduced to accommodate everyone?

I guess I don’t understand why there has to be a choice?? Our gym has released plans to get back to training, and they are dividing all levels into groups of 10 or less, lowering hours, sanitizing in between, going in and out certain doors, no spotting, etc... Nowhere was it mentioned that only certain levels could train? I think gyms can make it work if they are creative.
If they have the staff, that would be great. I think for some gyms (and I'm thinking of ours), they don't have enough staff to kids ratio to be able to get all of the levels and rec kids without substantially cutting the optional hours. It would just be really hard. On the other hand, as people have been saying, some kids may not return or parents might choose for them not to train, so it could be workable.

Interesting! Will team go their usual number of hours, or will those need to be reduced to accommodate everyone?
No, at first they we go for 2 hours a day and we will have them continue to condition at home. It is the only way to get everyone in. Hopefully as things improv, we will add more ours even if we have to run workouts on Sunday afternoon. We have three main team coaches, since we won’t need all three of us at a time, we can run practice 7 days a week. The girls have been out of the gym so long that starting back with full hours would be a disaster anyway.

No, at first they we go for 2 hours a day and we will have them continue to condition at home. It is the only way to get everyone in. Hopefully as things improv, we will add more ours even if we have to run workouts on Sunday afternoon. We have three main team coaches, since we won’t need all three of us at a time, we can run practice 7 days a week. The girls have been out of the gym so long that starting back with full hours would be a disaster anyway.

Makes sense and sounds like a solid plan. I hope my kids gyms do something similar.

Just my thoughts, but I think it should only be Hopes/elites and level 10’s until the end of June or maybe July. I feel so bad for the girls going into senior year that needed these last two years for college.

At our gym that would be about 5-6 girls total since we have neither hopes nor elites. So, in reality, who and how to bring back is going to really depend on each gym and their team composition.

Our gym has a rec and a team gym. So if they want to break team into smaller groups and train when rec classes are not running (or even before rec classes are allowed to run), they have 2x the space to divide the team into. If you shorten the training time by level (i.e. compulsories go less than optionals, etc.) I think it can be spread out into smaller groups. The biggest issue is coaching. If coaches need to stay 6 feet away, that is going to limit what new skills and how new skills are taught due to lack of hands on and spotting. That is going to hamper progression.

At our gym that would be about 5-6 girls total since we have neither hopes nor elites. So, in reality, who and how to bring back is going to really depend on each gym and their team composition.

Our gym has a rec and a team gym. So if they want to break team into smaller groups and train when rec classes are not running (or even before rec classes are allowed to run), they have 2x the space to divide the team into. If you shorten the training time by level (i.e. compulsories go less than optionals, etc.) I think it can be spread out into smaller groups. The biggest issue is coaching. If coaches need to stay 6 feet away, that is going to limit what new skills and how new skills are taught due to lack of hands on and spotting. That is going to hamper progression.

So many kiddos will just need to do basics and conditioning. They will not need new skills. It will take a while jsut for them to build back up

I guess I don’t understand why there has to be a choice?? Our gym has released plans to get back to training, and they are dividing all levels into groups of 10 or less, lowering hours, sanitizing in between, going in and out certain doors, no spotting, etc... Nowhere was it mentioned that only certain levels could train? I think gyms can make it work if they are creative.
Before Ohio closed down our gym (back when there was a 50 person limit), I was working on a way to have ALL of our team AND rec practices going ... Without brick and mortar schooling, they could spread the team throughout the day.

Our coaches are fairly cheap (relatively speaking), so we could have 5 or 6 team coaches with 4 girls per event (Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor, Airtrak) = 20 or 21 ... depending on if they wanted a second coach on bars ... plus have 2 rec classes of 4 students each ... so 28. Plus the attendant at the door for temp checks, an attendant to sanitize the bathrooms and drinking fountain after each use, an attendant in "SqueakyLand" to sanitize equipment between uses and to squirt hand sanitizer into hands. In between rec classes, have a 30 minute window to get the first group out, everything sanitized, and the next group in.
Team would do 2 hours per practice because small groups get more reps. There would be 5 attendants for sanitizing team equipment / and hand sanitizer too. There would again be a 30 minute window between team groups.
This would be a total of 33 people, so there could be up to 16 spectators following social distancing rules and wearing masks, and we would still be under 50.

How do you sanitize a wooden bar or suede fabric beam in between goes. I can't see how that can even work.

And how could you sanitize a vault top or sprung floor. I can see mats can be wiped down regularly.

I would think you are just relying on a lot of hand washing.

How do you sanitize a wooden bar or suede fabric beam in between goes. I can't see how that can even work.

And how could you sanitize a vault top or sprung floor. I can see mats can be wiped down regularly.

I would think you are just relying on a lot of hand washing.

I agree with you. And the boys pbars cannot be wiped down between every group....that would take a whole practice time!

Reactions: sce
Before Ohio closed down our gym (back when there was a 50 person limit), I was working on a way to have ALL of our team AND rec practices going ... Without brick and mortar schooling, they could spread the team throughout the day.

Our coaches are fairly cheap (relatively speaking), so we could have 5 or 6 team coaches with 4 girls per event (Vault, Bars, Beam, Floor, Airtrak) = 20 or 21 ... depending on if they wanted a second coach on bars ... plus have 2 rec classes of 4 students each ... so 28. Plus the attendant at the door for temp checks, an attendant to sanitize the bathrooms and drinking fountain after each use, an attendant in "SqueakyLand" to sanitize equipment between uses and to squirt hand sanitizer into hands. In between rec classes, have a 30 minute window to get the first group out, everything sanitized, and the next group in.
Team would do 2 hours per practice because small groups get more reps. There would be 5 attendants for sanitizing team equipment / and hand sanitizer too. There would again be a 30 minute window between team groups.
This would be a total of 33 people, so there could be up to 16 spectators following social distancing rules and wearing masks, and we would still be under 50.

Don't most of the kids have to be online for school for the school day? -at least those in middle school or older?

Reactions: sce
Around us, many of the schools have a morning zoom or Microsoft teams meeting for 30 to 90 min and the rest of the day is at their own pace and schedule. For us with a 2nd and 4th grader ( with 3 year old little brother) we do school from 8-10:30 and 12:30 until 2 or 3. Some of the high schools are the same way.

Don't most of the kids have to be online for school for the school day? -at least those in middle school or older?
Since not all students have access to reliable internet, the schools can't require them to be on at a certain time.
All class meetings are "voluntary." YG hasn't been in a single class meeting yet (9th grade) and neither has her 7th grade stepsister. They live in the country and can't get access to high speed internet and their cell service is spotty at their house - if they call me for school help, we cross our fingers that the call won't drop. YG tends to do her school work in the late afternoon to early evening because Schoology (which half her teachers use) was down a lot in the beginning because of so many people being on at once. Teachers don't care what time they work on their schoolwork as long as they DO the work.
Our district is willing to send 2 weeks worth of school work to the students. They send a bus driver to drop off / pick up the paperwork once every 2 weeks. The bus drivers also deliver breakfasts / lunches (Monday they deliver food for M-W and on Thursday, they deliver for Thurs and Fri) to the rural kids who can't get to one of the pick-up locations.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back