Parents Can we talk about IG Brand Ambassadors?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3rd_time_around

Proud Parent
Judge
I know a lot of gymnasts have IG accounts, and a lot of them are ambassadors for different companies. I don’t have a problem with that, but I was thinking more about the ones that are ambassadors for different leotard companies at the same time. Ozone recently had an ambassador search, and as I flipped through the “winners,” I realized that I recognized most of the girls because they are already ambassadors for many other things, including other leotard companies.

Here’s my question: wouldn’t a company want their ambassador to be exclusive to their brand? Isn’t it a conflict of interest to have an ambassador who is also advertising your competitors? I looked at the accounts of the 25
Oz winners, and here’s what I found:
The ambassadors who advertise for 3 or more companies of any kind: 16
Ambassadors for 2 leo brands (including O): 7
3 leo brands: 6
4 leo brands: 3
5 leo brands: 1
6 leo brands: 1

Again, I have no problem with ambassadors for companies, but am I crazy to think that it’s strange to not have exclusive ambassadors for your brand? (Thats 18 out of 25 who are ambassadors for other leotard companies at the same time.) I also think that there are some gymnasts out there who would enjoy having the chance to be an ambassador. What are your thoughts about this and about the whole Ambassador thing? (Keep it nice)

I actually agree and while I have no interest in having my kid be one, I think it would be nice if the companies only had girls who weren’t for anyone else. I do get why they do it because young gymnasts recognize little Susie, squeal and ask their moms for that leo....so it’s definitely money related. But there are a few very good gymnasts who just rep for one. Those are the girls we are impressed with, and my kid actually would rather buy from those companies because those girls only rep for one brand. Weird logic, right?

I know a lot of gymnasts have IG accounts, and a lot of them are ambassadors for different companies. I don’t have a problem with that, but I was thinking more about the ones that are ambassadors for different leotard companies at the same time. Ozone recently had an ambassador search, and as I flipped through the “winners,” I realized that I recognized most of the girls because they are already ambassadors for many other things, including other leotard companies.

Here’s my question: wouldn’t a company want their ambassador to be exclusive to their brand? Isn’t it a conflict of interest to have an ambassador who is also advertising your competitors? I looked at the accounts of the 25
Oz winners, and here’s what I found:
The ambassadors who advertise for 3 or more companies of any kind: 16
Ambassadors for 2 leo brands (including O): 7
3 leo brands: 6
4 leo brands: 3
5 leo brands: 1
6 leo brands: 1

Again, I have no problem with ambassadors for companies, but am I crazy to think that it’s strange to not have exclusive ambassadors for your brand? (Thats 18 out of 25 who are ambassadors for other leotard companies at the same time.) I also think that there are some gymnasts out there who would enjoy having the chance to be an ambassador. What are your thoughts about this and about the whole Ambassador thing? (Keep it nice)

I will try very hard to be nice bc the whole instagymnast thing is a pet peeve of mine. :p I think it is all about advertising and exposure. The leo brands are seeking children with tens of thousands of followers for broad exposure to their “product.” So yes, it’s the same kids over and over again. Also, the most famous “instagymnasts” are not the best gymnasts. They are just the most widely exposed gymnasts. Another case in point, this beam queen boot camp which is a product of Samantha peszyk has ambassadors: While some of the ambassadors are very strong gymnasts, a few of them are really pretty average gymnasts and just have tremendous Instagram followings.

I don’t get the point of the public gymnastics instagrams bc if the goal is just to be famous, why not hire an agent or just have a modeling Instagram? Gymnastics is hard enough without running a full time public Instagram account. And I will also add that some of these instagymnasts rub me the wrong way (really the stage parents. It’s not the kids’ faults.), so when I see the same ones hawking plum and foxy’s, it actually makes me NOT want to purchase the Leos. But clearly I’m grumpy and in the minority!

I will try very hard to be nice bc the whole instagymnast thing is a pet peeve of mine. :p I think it is all about advertising and exposure. The leo brands are seeking children with tens of thousands of followers for broad exposure to their “product.” So yes, it’s the same kids over and over again. Also, the most famous “instagymnasts” are not the best gymnasts. They are just the most widely exposed gymnasts. Another case in point, this beam queen boot camp which is a product of Samantha peszyk has ambassadors: While some of the ambassadors are very strong gymnasts, a few of them are really pretty average gymnasts and just have tremendous Instagram followings.

I don’t get the point of the public gymnastics instagrams bc if the goal is just to be famous, why not hire an agent or just have a modeling Instagram? Gymnastics is hard enough without running a full time public Instagram account. And I will also add that some of these instagymnasts rub me the wrong way (really the stage parents. It’s not the kids’ faults.), so when I see the same ones hawking plum and foxy’s, it actually makes me NOT want to purchase the Leos. But clearly I’m grumpy and in the minority!
I don’t think you’re the minority. Also, I had to change my dd’s to private because of someone using her account to threaten and harass me and they took an image of her and used it to harass me. So that pretty much leaves her out of any ambassador program because I’m not going back to public again. I also screen every follow request to be as sure as I can that it’s not a creeper (although none of them can be proven unless they are a personal friend).

Plum has changed their rules and won't allow their ambassadors to be ambassadors for other leo companies. They also changed their requirements from 5000 followers to 500. Another company recently made their ambassadors change their accounts to private.

I'm right there with you. I don't follow any of these accounts because they make me a little uneasy, but they pop up on my Explore page all the time so I have seen plenty. Some seem pretty innocent, mostly about the kid's gymnastics and I'm sure the kid appreciates free leos to post about, but there are a few that scream stage parents and the "glamour" type shots modeling leos make me squirm. I have seen some downright vile comments on pics posted by adult professional female athletes and the fact that there are parents opening up their very young children to that kind of attention is disconcerting- and some of those kids are the same ones repping multiple brands.

If I remember correctly, it's typical for principal performers in commercials to agree to exclusivity (not appearing as principal performers in commercials for competing products). At least in that arena, brands do want an exclusive association with the face or personality.

The whole brand ambassador/Insta star phenomenon seems exploitative for a host of reasons, not the least of which are economic. If my kid were a superstar athlete in demand for modeling or endorsement work, I'd be talking with an agent and a lawyer. Representing your own child is a recipe for disaster. As the saying goes, the lawyer who represents herself has a fool for a client. And I'm betting most of these instagymmie parents are not even lawyers.

If a brand wants exclusivity it usually comes with a higher price tag, a lot of companies get more bang for their buck by sponsoring a specific number of videos or even just one. Also not sure if some/any of the insta-gymies or their parents are even getting paid by the sponsors and are instead receiving free merchandise.

If a brand wants exclusivity it usually comes with a higher price tag, a lot of companies get more bang for their buck by sponsoring a specific number of videos or even just one. Also not sure if some/any of the insta-gymies or their parents are even getting paid by the sponsors and are instead receiving free merchandise.
Just free leos

I just looked at the list of new ozone ambassadors. You’re right @GAgymmom. Most of these kids have been featured over and over again as ambassadors for Leos and numerous other gymnastics-related products. I am also noticing that the very public large instagymnast accounts all seem to pander to one another like they are their own special community. It all just feels fake to me. The other thing I find strange is that just like you said, there are actual pervs following and commenting on these young children's instagram photos, and the mothers seem pretty unconcerned about it. Yet they will block a "hater" (i.e., anyone who dares to say anything less than positive about the posts or the gymnastics skills—hello child doing a crazy cast handstand on the second floor balcony railing?! :oops:) in a heartbeat. As an aside, I am very alarmed by the one ozone ambassador who has extraordinarily photoshopped muscles in many of her posts. I cannot imagine the creepy predators who would be drawn to that. I just can’t get behind this trend at all.

Plum has changed their rules and won't allow their ambassadors to be ambassadors for other leo companies. They also changed their requirements from 5000 followers to 500. Another company recently made their ambassadors change their accounts to private.
Well which company is this? I might start buying from them because these other brands seem to actively be promoting this nonsense!

I just looked at the list of new ozone ambassadors. You’re right @GAgymmom. Most of these kids have been featured over and over again as ambassadors for Leos and numerous other gymnastics-related products. I am also noticing that the very public large instagymnast accounts all seem to pander to one another like they are their own special community. It all just feels fake to me. The other thing I find strange is that just like you said, there are actual pervs following and commenting on these young children's instagram photos, and the mothers seem pretty unconcerned about it. Yet they will block a "hater" (i.e., anyone who dares to say anything less than positive about the posts or the gymnastics skills—hello child doing a crazy cast handstand on the second floor balcony railing?! :oops:) in a heartbeat. As an aside, I am very alarmed by the one ozone ambassador who has extraordinarily photoshopped muscles in many of her posts. I cannot imagine the creepy predators who would be drawn to that. I just can’t get behind this trend at all.
They do have follow groups where they comment on each others posts. We were in one for about a minute. It was way too much work to keep up with.

My daughter is a plum ambassador but I expect her to get booted soon since we don't post much. I dont feel like tagging plum in my horrible android phone photos when everyone else seems to have a professional photographer following then around 24/7

I'm blown away by the number of moms on FB asking strangers to follow their very young child's gymnastics Instagram page. It goes against every instinct I have as a parent, and I've struggled to understand why anyone would want people they don't know looking at photos of their young daughter. I guess the answer is they are seeking numbers for their Instagram accounts in hopes of future endorsement opportunities. Ick.

My daughter is a plum ambassador but I expect her to get booted soon since we don't post much. I dont feel like tagging plum in my horrible android phone photos when everyone else seems to have a professional photographer following then around 24/7

I finally upgraded recently to an iPhone after years of an android. Photos and videos are much better.

They do have follow groups where they comment on each others posts. We were in one for about a minute. It was way too much work to keep up with.
There is a child in our hometown, and my daughter was pretty good friends with her for awhile. She has a huge following now of something like 35K. The mom actually purchased followers possibly through some kind of app?? I wondered if there was a follow group or if they made some kind of deal with each other to comment on each other’s posts. It’s the same people commenting every single time. They sound like my 13 year old daughter and her friends commenting on each other’s posts. And yes! Who has time for that?

There is a child in our hometown, and my daughter was pretty good friends with her for awhile. She has a huge following now of something like 35K. The mom actually purchased followers possibly through some kind of app?? I wondered if there was a follow group or if they made some kind of deal with each other to comment on each other’s posts. It’s the same people commenting every single time. It sounds like my 13 year old daughter and her friends commenting on each other’s posts. And yes! Who has time for that?
Definitely not me!

There is a child in our hometown, and my daughter was pretty good friends with her for awhile. She has a huge following now of something like 35K. The mom actually purchased followers possibly through some kind of app?? I wondered if there was a follow group or if they made some kind of deal with each other to comment on each other’s posts. It’s the same people commenting every single time. They sound like my 13 year old daughter and her friends commenting on each other’s posts. And yes! Who has time for that?
Omfrigginggawd. You can purchase followers?
I am so old. I have no idea what is going on in the gym world let alone the Instagram world....wow!

I like her IG - it comes across as real, motivated by love for the sport rather than fame or money, and her personality is what makes it shine. Don’t change a thing!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back