Parents Stay or Go?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomsarethebest

Proud Parent
My daughter has been at WOGA- Dallas/Fort worth area for a while now. We were brand new to the state when she started and it was basically all we knew. Now that we have settled in and gotten use to the area and my daughter has grown more in love with the sport and really progressed well. We are questioning what’s next. She loves the gym and her coaches, she’s very much in love with the sport and did great at the little showcase they had.
1. She is in an advanced class, goes 2x a week 90 min.
2. There is no pre-team at the gym.
3. They have never mentioned tryouts, or next steps. She was just placed into that class after being in beginner class.
4. They have already explained to myself and other parents that they do not take many kids and are highly selective with their team selections.
5. They don’t start competing until level 3.
***Do I keep waiting for them to ask if she would like to join team? Or do I let her tryout for other gyms that I have found in the area, to see if she makes team?
*** We could commute to Metroplex, Texas Best, Precision, or Infinite Bounds***

Skills
ROBHS
BHS
Round off
Back walkover
Bridge kick over
Back hip circle
Back pull over
Cartwheel on floor and beam
Handstand floor and beam
Front walk over

what is her age? That is going to make all the difference with top tier gyms

I agree that age will be a big factor at many (most?) top gyms.

Setting age aside, have you directly asked them to evaluate your daughter for a team track? If so, what was the response? You might be able to read between the lines.

We changed gyms (from the “top” gym in our immediate area to a relatively new gym) when my DD was age 7 (almost 8) because it was clear gym #1 considered my DD to be an Xcel only gymnast. She has been competing JO at her current gym for going on 5 years.

I agree that age will be a big factor at many (most?) top gyms.

Setting age aside, have you directly asked them to evaluate your daughter for a team track? If so, what was the response? You might be able to read between the lines.

We changed gyms (from the “top” gym in our immediate area to a relatively new gym) when my DD was age 7 (almost 8) because it was clear gym #1 considered my DD to be an Xcel only gymnast. She has been competing JO at her current gym for going on 5 years.
The only thing they said when I asked if she was headed on a team track, “this was a couple months ago”...was that they don’t make any promises to team, and that she was progressing great. I felt like that was very gray, and I’m not 100 sure who makes those decisions if it’s the rec head coach or the team head coach.

Age 5 with those skills is definitely young enough for team consideration at pretty much any gym. Impressive actually.

It is not unusual for gyms to begin competing at L3 (at least in our area - which is not TX). It is a bit unusual not to have a preteam or developmental track separate from rec.

When did you last ask about team? I think I would follow up (if appropriate) and ask specific questions about when, how and who makes decisions, whether there is a developmental track, etc. Express interest.

Report back. And good luck!

Those are some advanced skills for a 5yr old rec class, even an advanced one. It is possible that she is in a developmental track that potentially leads to team. It is hard to know without knowing the specifics of the gym (all gyms set up their rec/developmental programs differently). Perhaps someone here has more info about that specific gym. Regardless, I think you have time to wait it out another year to see whether she will be invited to team. Word of caution though - be prepared. From all that has been discussed about WOGA and knowing the caliber of gym it is, be ready for some tough competitions and high stress. Some families want this - to give their gymnasts the best possible chance for high level gymnastics that is possible. Others know from the start that they don't want to go down that road and choose a less competitive environment.

Age 5 with those skills is definitely young enough for team consideration at pretty much any gym. Impressive actually.

It is not unusual for gyms to begin competing at L3 (at least in our area - which is not TX). It is a bit unusual not to have a preteam or developmental track separate from rec.

When did you last ask about team? I think I would follow up (if appropriate) and ask specific questions about when, how and who makes decisions, whether there is a developmental track, etc. Express interest.

Report back. And good luck!
I think I definitely didn’t get in depth enough with my questions and I felt kind of rushed and nervous because they always look so busy. I will definitely catch the director at a off peak time and ask all of the above, thank you for the great tips.

Those are some advanced skills for a 5yr old rec class, even an advanced one. It is possible that she is in a developmental track that potentially leads to team. It is hard to know without knowing the specifics of the gym (all gyms set up their rec/developmental programs differently). Perhaps someone here has more info about that specific gym. Regardless, I think you have time to wait it out another year to see whether she will be invited to team. Word of caution though - be prepared. From all that has been discussed about WOGA and knowing the caliber of gym it is, be ready for some tough competitions and high stress. Some families want this - to give their gymnasts the best possible chance for high level gymnastics that is possible. Others know from the start that they don't want to go down that road and choose a less competitive environment.
It could be possible, I know nothing about the sport, I have no kids in gymnastics or family in It. When my husband got transferred late 2019 and we decided to put her in it his, new boss was like take her here their great, we literally just tried it out and she loved it. Ive had to google and ask as I go, and get info from other gym parents. The team parents stick to themselves and don’t come in much and the rest of us all kind of wonder the same. I know her coach works with a lot of the team kids aswell so she may be on their team track but the coaches aren’t suppose to say so.

The only thing they said when I asked if she was headed on a team track, “this was a couple months ago”...was that they don’t make any promises to team, and that she was progressing great. I felt like that was very gray, and I’m not 100 sure who makes those decisions if it’s the rec head coach or the team head coach.
She is 5. No need to make that decision yet

you could also look on their website to determine what class she is in and what they write about it. I took a quick look - just curious - and given that she is going for 90min sessions, unless she is in a 6yr+ advance class, she is likely in a developmental invite-only preschool class, which is a good sign for team potential

you could also look on their website to determine what class she is in and what they write about it. I took a quick look - just curious - and given that she is going for 90min sessions, unless she is in a 6yr+ advance class, she is likely in a developmental invite-only preschool class, which is a good sign for team potential
That class runs opposite days of her class and her group is mostly 5, and a couple very advanced 4 year olds. So I think you are correct.

Since she needs to be 6 to compete level 3 and that’s where they start - she might just not be old enough, depending on if they’ll put a kid who can’t compete yet into the team group or not

I’d stay for now. See what happens as she turns 6 and then decide. It should be obvious when they’re moving kids to team for L3. If they don’t move her, then leave.

WOGA typically won't have many kids on their team prior to 6 years old. There are a few standout exceptions, but it is probably rare. They certainly won't let talented kids go unnoticed and they are known for picking their athletes out of the internal pool of young gymnasts. Speaking from experience this gym is a great place for your kid to attend, and the leadership is as good as it gets. My suggestion is to wait it out... In the event the team is not an option in the next year or so... there are plenty of other great gyms in the area. Best of luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back