Parents Sectional Meet Report

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmonkeymomma

Proud Parent
Let me start off by saying that big DD did NOT qualify for States....far from it! It has been a bad week, not to make excuses, but she woke up on 1/30 (her birthday) with a raging fever of 102.6. It turned out that she had strep, so she missed several practices and really is still not up back up to her old energy level. Problem #2, report time was 6pm ...after a long day, even though I tried to have her rest.

Anyway, first rotation is bars, so I figured let's get this over with, LOL. DD's only goal for the day was to make her giants....which she did. Granted, they were not perfect, but they are still 100 times better than they were 2 weeks ago. Her bars score eeked up a little bit from last meet too. The rest of the night was just a diaster..... fell off beam after her series so she lost the series, 7.0. Stumbled out of her 2nd tumbling pass and at the end of her whip pass which is the 3rd, she looked just completely wiped out...8.0 the lowest she has scored with this new routine. Vault - they didn't practice all week so she went in knowing she was not going for a tsuk. She did half/half 8.075 off a 9.1 start value.

Afterwards, I greeted DD with "you did a great job with those giants!" and she seemed happy enough with herself. I asked if she was disappointed about not making States and she said no, then asked when the next Sectional would be. I said March 8th and she replied, well I have a month to practice. She met her goal of the day (giants) and also of not having the lowest score in the meet :D

Good job on those giants! I'm so sorry she wasn't feeling well. What a bummer. At least she didn't take it so hard. I hope she'll have a wonderful meet at the next sectional! I'll keep you guys in my thoughts!

btw, how many sectional meets do you have in a season? Is it normal to have more than one? It appears, from our schedule, we only have one.

Wow, she's had a rough few weeks with getting strep! Even though it wasn't her best, she knows that she's capable of hitting it and making state. I absolutely LOVE her attitude! Way to go, I for one am proud of her.

Great job on the giants and actually managing to compete despite feeling totally off. Glad she has a month to prepare, that amount of time can make a huge difference to scores.

Those evening start times are no gift, we had 6:45pm at the last meet, the kids and parents all looked like they wishe dthey were anywhere but at a meet.

aw, poor thing, it is so hard to do this stuff when your body isn't quite right!!!

Good for her for doing the giants though...and not having the lowest score at the meet (dd and I can relate to that, being a brand new L4:eek:).

btw, how many sectional meets do you have in a season? Is it normal to have more than one? It appears, from our schedule, we only have one.

Level 8 usually has 2 but this year, there was a Team Championship that was cancelled so they actually added one. We missed the first as it was the same weekend as another meet we entered, our team has 2 chances. Levels 4-7 have 3 Sectionals each....you only have to qualify at one of them, but it's nice to have more than 1 opportunity, lol. My little DD has her first one in 2 weeks.

I am sorry to hear that DD is sick.. there is nothing worse than being sick and trying to do these things that they do....I am glad she did her giants! What a victory!

I dont know how those kids can compete in those late night meets.. I need to be in bed by 9:00! It seems like some the meets are just going about that time!

Give DD a hug from Beetle and I - and good luck at the next Sectionals!

Congratulations for having a level headed daughter who can see the positives, set goals, and fight to achieve them! You must be incredibly proud of her! I think a lot of her training shines through in her attitude.

I don't know her, but am completely impressed! Thank you for sharing!

I'm so sorry your DD was not feeling well for her meet. My DD was sick the week before States last year and when they are so highly trained it takes so much out of them. Tell her she did great to compete all events in her condition!

And congratulations on setting a goal and accomplishing it! Thats making lemonade out of the lemons you were given.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that she didn't qualify, but gosh just the fact that she competed is a huge accomplishment! For these gymmie's to be sick and do what they do, I am always amazed at their abilities. I am glad to hear that she got those giants and they are looking better. She does have time until the next Sectional and I know that she will get the needed score - just wait and see! ;)

Just getting caught up here with my Jersey girls, LOL! Sorry your DD did not qualify for states...she had a great attitude though and Mach will give her plenty of time to work on things! Not being 100% makes hard to compete at your best but it sounds like she is not too far off a qualifying score. You didn't post an AA score, but it sounds like she is almost there!

Happy "belated" B-Day to your DD!!!!! Me and my DD's was on 2/8 and yesterday at the Star Struck meet she got booted up to another age group which is the toughest (8/9yr olds) but we are officially done with L4 now.

Just getting caught up here with my Jersey girls, LOL! Sorry your DD did not qualify for states...she had a great attitude though and Mach will give her plenty of time to work on things! Not being 100% makes hard to compete at your best but it sounds like she is not too far off a qualifying score. You didn't post an AA score, but it sounds like she is almost there!

Happy "belated" B-Day to your DD!!!!! Me and my DD's was on 2/8 and yesterday at the Star Struck meet she got booted up to another age group which is the toughest (8/9yr olds) but we are officially done with L4 now.

Thanks. You and your DD are both Feb 8th? Me and my brother were both due on Feb 8th, but he was born 2/2 and me on 2/12. :D

Funny

Thanks. You and your DD are both Feb 8th? Me and my brother were both due on Feb 8th, but he was born 2/2 and me on 2/12. :D

Me and my brother are 2 years and 2 days apart. I was born the 8th and he was born the 10th. You would think I would learn something from having to share a birthday (and a cake) right? Well me and DD's are the 8th and my oldest son is the 13th. He was 2 weeks overdue and was supposed to be born superbowl weekend in Jan, and DD was 2 weeks early and her due date was 2/16. In one week we have 3 B-days and Valentines Day! And I never get flowers becasue I just had a birthday so hubby doesn't think he should spend $$$ on flowers for V-day!

Happy B-Day to you too!

Me and my brother are 2 years and 2 days apart. I was born the 8th and he was born the 10th. You would think I would learn something from having to share a birthday (and a cake) right? Well me and DD's are the 8th and my oldest son is the 13th. He was 2 weeks overdue and was supposed to be born superbowl weekend in Jan, and DD was 2 weeks early and her due date was 2/16. In one week we have 3 B-days and Valentines Day! And I never get flowers becasue I just had a birthday so hubby doesn't think he should spend $$$ on flowers for V-day!

Happy B-Day to you too!

LOL - my bro and I are 3 yrs 10 days. Having my b'day just 2 days before Valentine's really stinks too. My oldest was due on 2/4 but came early on 1/30. My brother's wife's bday is 1/29. My DH's sister is also 2/2. My dad's was 2/16.

Same thing happens in July/Aug all within 2 weeks... my FIL is 7/21, niece is 7/23, twins (little monkey and her bro) are 7/25, other niece is 8/3, DH is 8/5.

Doesn't your heart just ache for them when they are struggling? I do the same thing you did, point out the things they did well. "Wow, your toes were really pointed" or " no one does a lay -out like you do!" . Hope things go better for her soon, I'm sure she will bounce back.
By the way, it's nice to hear of another gymnast doing a half on -half off on vault. I thought my DD was the only one, I've never seen anyone else do it. We are working on tsuk too. Good luck!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back