USAG State/Regional Mask Requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Good thing my sister doesn't need to go to a State or Regional meet.
She has a mask exemption from her doctor (she is ONLY allowed to wear a mask at work, and she has to remove it for at least 15 minutes every 2 hours ... she goes into the bathroom or outside for that). She also can't wear a face shield and that is listed on the paper from her doctor too.

Good thing my sister doesn't need to go to a State or Regional meet.
She has a mask exemption from her doctor (she is ONLY allowed to wear a mask at work, and she has to remove it for at least 15 minutes every 2 hours ... she goes into the bathroom or outside for that). She also can't wear a face shield and that is listed on the paper from her doctor too.
Would she not be able to wear it for a bit and then go outside and remove it for a while like she does at work? If she needed to go to one that is?

Would she not be able to wear it for a bit and then go outside and remove it for a while like she does at work? If she needed to go to one that is?
That is a good question. Actually, the doctor has advised her not to wear one ANY extra time ... the doctor would prefer if she didn't have to wear one at work, but since she works at a child care, that isn't an option. She suffers from chronic sinus infections and wearing a mask has increased the frequency from every 2-3 months to every 5-7 weeks. :(

It does say that you can present a medical exemption. It seems crazy that those who have been asked not to wear one by their doctor would be required!

Also intense to require one for anyone over two. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to keep masks in toddlers!

At any time masks have been required here (only for a week, but they have elsewhere in the country) all children under 12 have been exempt.

It does say that you can present a medical exemption. It seems crazy that those who have been asked not to wear one by their doctor would be required!

Also intense to require one for anyone over two. I can’t imagine how hard it must be to keep masks in toddlers!

At any time masks have been required here (only for a week, but they have elsewhere in the country) all children under 12 have been exempt.
I work with toddlers/preschoolers with mild to severe special needs and most parents have relayed that it was challenging in the beginning but it wasn't as difficult as they anticipated. However, in general, I don't agree with the 2+ requirement. I do think it creates a lot of challenges for many parents. Families getting kicked off flights because their toddlers won't wear a mask. In our state, most areas require 5+ to wear a mask and I find that much more realistic especially given the low transmission rate to/from infants/toddlers

If you have the medical exemption, it said they would have you wear a face shield. My sister can't wear a face shield either (she actually had to quit her other job when they decided to require a face shield in addition to the mask. The face shield put too much pressure on her head. She wore it for an hour and came home with the worst headache (sinus/migraine combo) of her life.
I think it's crazy to have little ones to wear masks too. Our local school doesn't require them for the preschool class EXCEPT if they ride the school bus. Then, they have to wear a mask on the bus. I am pretty sure most of the preschool students are transported by parents because of the bus rules.

At school we have a choice of visors as they fit differently. There are ones that are like wearing a pair of glasses which are great if you get headaches. Must be very hard for her. I do sympathise.

I really think it's an unreasonably difficult stance to take. I can't wear a mask, and when it's required, I wear a face shield. No one has ever asked for a note from my doctor. At the last meet I was at, I was the only one wearing a face shield, everyone else was masked. For the very few people that this affects, I think it's excessive. And yes, expecting young kids to wear a mask for 3+ hours is also unreasonable. Why is USAG so hardline on masks and so soft on abusers???

At school we have a choice of visors as they fit differently. There are ones that are like wearing a pair of glasses which are great if you get headaches. Must be very hard for her. I do sympathise.
Thank you, the one like wearing glasses might have been an option for her but she already wears glasses and knows from personal experience that wearing something over her glasses that goes behind the ears is a "no go" for her. She has tried multiple face shield designs in hopes that she could go back to her other job part-time or as a contingent worker (if she found one that didnt cause debilitating headaches AND the company approved. None of them work for her ... not even the baseball cap style :(. Lol, she even tried wearing one upside down so the top part was around her neck instead of her head. The company didn't approve that option and she wasn't real comfortable wearing it like that anyways.

We will be so much happier once life gets back to semi-normal. Then she won't have to mask although I will probably keep wearing gaiters in public for the foreseeable future. I even wear them to medical appointments that require a medical grade mask (I can't stand things on my ears, so I put the mask inside my gaiter and use the gaiter to hold it in place).

Why is USAG so hardline on masks and so soft on abusers???
Because USAG is big on making statements they think makes them LOOK like they are on top of athlete safety but not big on actions that actually show they are on top of athlete safety.

On top of the stress of competition, trust me there will be a new mask anxiety (especially amongst the young competitors). It will be about "causing the meet to lose it's sanction" if you mask was not tight enough in between your performance or placed back on fast enough. Whenever I have prepped youngsters for their first set of meets, I have always warned them to ignore comments from those teammates who for whatever reason like to fear monger about the various rules of competition. I've also warned the fear mongers not to stress out their teammates. I do not coach compulsories any longer, but I did ask our compulsory coaches to tell the little ones that if your teammate forgets to put their mask on within 5 seconds of saluting the judge, it is not your job to tell them that they are probably the reason the meet will lose it's sanction, lol.

Thank you, the one like wearing glasses might have been an option for her but she already wears glasses and knows from personal experience that wearing something over her glasses that goes behind the ears is a "no go" for her. She has tried multiple face shield designs in hopes that she could go back to her other job part-time or as a contingent worker (if she found one that didnt cause debilitating headaches AND the company approved. None of them work for her ... not even the baseball cap style :(. Lol, she even tried wearing one upside down so the top part was around her neck instead of her head. The company didn't approve that option and she wasn't real comfortable wearing it like that anyways.

We will be so much happier once life gets back to semi-normal. Then she won't have to mask although I will probably keep wearing gaiters in public for the foreseeable future. I even wear them to medical appointments that require a medical grade mask (I can't stand things on my ears, so I put the mask inside my gaiter and use the gaiter to hold it in place).
Etsy has clip on face shields that clip on to your glasses for $9. Worth looking into for her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back