Parents Wrist bruising-

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cdngym mom

Proud Parent
My daughter has been using grips and straps for about 3 year and recently has been coming home with burning pain and dark purple marks. She uses wrist bands and dry bands with them. Has anyone else had this problem, not sure what to do?

My daughter doesnt rip on her hands but her wrists and forearms are awful. She uses tape, balloons, etc but still rips. :(

Be sure that she doesn't have an infection.

Sorry, what kind of infection would I be looking for? I hadn’t heard that possibility yet? The skin isn’t broken at all, could it be beneath the skin? Thanks
I'm not sure if it could be infected without the skin being broken. You would just be looking for the basic signs of an infection though.

Here is a basic link on it...

I have no advice to share, but hearing about these types of things is an eye opener. My DD is going to be Xcel Silver next season so we have a few years to go before grips...but I need to prepare myself for weird injuries, I guess!

Haha! Re-reading post from OP, I probably mis-interpreted! I read it as though her DD uses both together but she likely meant that regardless of which she uses, result is the same. Oops!
No you read correctly, I’m not sure why they use them together but that’s what my daughter told me‍♀️

I have no advice to share, but hearing about these types of things is an eye opener. My DD is going to be Xcel Silver next season so we have a few years to go before grips...but I need to prepare myself for weird injuries, I guess!
depends on the gym. Many have their gymnasts start wearing grips when they begin training kips. My dd wore grips in silver.

OK, I'll bite - why drybands? I went to the website and all they really talk about is that they help cover your grips. Are they made of a special fiber that makes it better for the wrists? dd used to wear neoprene but went back to regular wristbands, which she prefers.

depends on the gym. Many have their gymnasts start wearing grips when they begin training kips. My dd wore grips in silver.
Makes sense, from what I've observed only one of our current Silver's wears grips, but all the Golds (and up) do. I feel like I should start researching grips and dry bands now, LOL.

Yep! My girls really like the DryBands a lot.
Yep! My girls really like the DryBands a lot.
Ah! well in that case, have her try the DryBands alone! They improved my kid's wrists SO dramatically.
Ok so my daughter tried today with just the dry bands and ended up with blood on them, so much pain she couldn’t do vault training. So I guess we’re headed to the doctor next.

OK, I'll bite - why drybands? I went to the website and all they really talk about is that they help cover your grips. Are they made of a special fiber that makes it better for the wrists? dd used to wear neoprene but went back to regular wristbands, which she prefers.

DryBands are moisture-wicking and more padded than cotton wristbands. They also come in different sizes, which means they fit some gymnasts better than one-size-fits-all cotton wristbands. My daughter started using them when the only style of cotton wristbands that fit her was discontinued.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back