WAG Interesting meet reactions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Those skills werent really competition ready... it was hit or miss whether she would land them. had one step on the landing on that bars dismount. She uploads them to youtube but keeps the account private!
No Hopes ages are age 11-12 and 13-14 this yr so she doesnt have that option. She's terrible at vault btw so not ready for Hopes yet!

She can't be terrible at the vault if she scored a mid 36 with a 7.35 on the beam. It sounds like she must have an exceptional vault! Haleigh Bryant for LSU does a double front landing, and she even has trouble at times "nailing" that blind landing. Haleigh is phenomenal. It sounds like your sister could go straight to junior elite, forget HOPES.

She did a double front landing on bars, not vault! She got 9.25 on vault this time and it was a good fluke! This season ranged from 7.8ish to 9.2 on vault. Says she lands 1/10 yurchenko pikes in practice. This meet she tried a layout and found it much easier... season high score of 9.25. She's phenomal on bars and did well on floor to this time

She did a double front landing on bars, not vault! She got 9.25 on vault this time and it was a good fluke! This season ranged from 7.8ish to 9.2 on vault. Says she lands 1/10 yurchenko pikes in practice. This meet she tried a layout and found it much easier... season high score of 9.25. She's phenomal on bars and did well on floor to this time
I understand that it was bars and not vault. A double front bar dismount is an E skill. Haleigh Bryant does it. Pretty rare on level 9 and certainly from a 10 year old. A layout is much easier than a pike vault? Lucky her!

If your sister couldn't land a piked yurchenko, it seems very strange from a physics standpoint that she would then be able to land a layout yurchenko, no prob. It takes most girls a while to transition from pike to layout. Your sister sounds very rare! I have really enjoyed this conversation. And yes, Haleigh Bryant is amazing!

I don't know she never really got the piked version - probably the only one in her team who just couldn't get it! I think she over-rotated it. She just took the penalties for falling on it! I hope now that she has successfully competed the layout her coach will just let her use that.
I have 3 sisters btw, all in gymnastics! All totally unique, they keep me laughing!
I love Haleigh Bryant, she has such perfect form and technique.

A layout is much easier than a pike vault? Lucky her!
Right? I wish that was the case for my level 9! lol. She has spent the last year trying to get her yurchenko pike to a layout without much luck so far.

I will say that we have a really, really talented girl on our level 9 team this year that could probably do a lot of these skills. I think she just turned 11, but she might still be 10. She dominated in level 7 last year and then our head coaches took her in and started training her for level 10. (My daughter and the rest of the level 9s are not coached by the head coaches and probably never will be fwiw) She tested out of 8 and is competing 9 this year, because there really wasn't a huge rush to have her compete 10. We don't even train elite at our gym with no plans to. But she went from the yurchenko timer in 7 to a very high scoring yurchenko layout this year. She has level 10 skills on most events, but she doesn't compete them in level 9. She competes a double back on floor, a beautiful bar routine and as advanced a beam routine as any of the rest of our 9s. Just really naturally talented!

As far as funny stories.. My daughter, who is also level 9, did get a 8.55 on her last meet's beam with 2 falls, and they were on her series and her front aerial. :oops: Everyone was pretty convinced that the judges must have blinked and missed her second fall. lol. No way she should have got that score. It really didn't change placements or anything (it wasn't a great meet for her anyway) so I guess that was good. But the head coach (who was only there to coach her one level 9 mentioned above) said that she thought there must have been some mistake, but that my daughter should just consider it a gift. ;)

Right? I wish that was the case for my level 9! lol. She has spent the last year trying to get her yurchenko pike to a layout without much luck so far.

I will say that we have a really, really talented girl on our level 9 team this year that could probably do a lot of these skills. I think she just turned 11, but she might still be 10. She dominated in level 7 last year and then our head coaches took her in and started training her for level 10. (My daughter and the rest of the level 9s are not coached by the head coaches and probably never will be fwiw) She tested out of 8 and is competing 9 this year, because there really wasn't a huge rush to have her compete 10. We don't even train elite at our gym with no plans to. But she went from the yurchenko timer in 7 to a very high scoring yurchenko layout this year. She has level 10 skills on most events, but she doesn't compete them in level 9. She competes a double back on floor, a beautiful bar routine and as advanced a beam routine as any of the rest of our 9s. Just really naturally talented!

As far as funny stories.. My daughter, who is also level 9, did get a 8.55 on her last meet's beam with 2 falls, and they were on her series and her front aerial. :oops: Everyone was pretty convinced that the judges must have blinked and missed her second fall. lol. No way she should have got that score. It really didn't change placements or anything (it wasn't a great meet for her anyway) so I guess that was good. But the head coach (who was only there to coach her one level 9 mentioned above) said that she thought there must have been some mistake, but that my daughter should just consider it a gift. ;)
Well it seems like my sis struggled for 2 years without getting her pike and suddenly the layout just clicked! Good Luck to ur dd!
Lol she's always been a fast learner. She did preteam, 3, 4, 7, 8, 9 and is ready to do 10 but no rush for it!
8.55 is a regular score if she has fallen just on her series!! What a coincidence that all the judges blinked at the same time:) Well I guess 7.35 was good for 4 falls, maybe the judges lost count of how many times she came of the beam!

As far as funny stories.. My daughter, who is also level 9, did get a 8.55 on her last meet's beam with 2 falls, and they were on her series and her front aerial. :oops: Everyone was pretty convinced that the judges must have blinked and missed her second fall. lol. No way she should have got that score. But the head coach ... said that she thought there must have been some mistake, but that my daughter should just consider it a gift. ;)
Lol, that reminds me of this one meet YG had a couple years ago. On beam, she didn't do ANY acro, had some wobbles - 1 was major, and scored a 9.35, lol.
There was only 1 judge per event at that meet and the beam judge had never judged beam on her own before (she typically judged vault). I had seen her before the meet started and asked if she was judging vault and she told me that she was judging beam and she was excited about it. And I want to make it clear, it was ok to talk to her because we had known each other since OG's first year on team when the judge was just a gym mom from one of the Y's in our district ... plus, she actually talked to me first ;)

My interesting meet reaction came from another mom.

So 2 years ago, one of D's friends and her family came to watch him at regionals. The dad and daughter had been before, but not the mom. This girl was a L10 gymnast also.

First, she was amazed at how loud everyone was!

So after event 1, a coach was cheering for D and came over to tell him what a great job he did. The mom was asking if tha twas his coach, and I said no, this guy coached in another state. Mom was confused, but just sat back.

Then she noticed the boys all cheering for each other, stopping what they were doing to walk over and cheer for other teams. Again, she was stumped.

Then, a judge came over to D after a rotation adn was chatting wiht him. She was absolutely flabbergasted that a judge would talk to anyone during a meet.

All of this is perfectly normal in a boy's meet. Coaches talking to other gymnasts, gymnasts all cheering for one another, judges talking to gymnasts and coaches. It will always be one of my favorite moments, and if you have never been to a boys' optional level meet, I highly recommend it!

Weirdest thing I ever experienced at a meet: Second rotation, judging beam, with 14 - 17 year old level 3s. So beginners but high school kids. Coach came to the table to request permission for the gymnast to leave the floor because she had her leotard on back to front. Neither gymnast nor coach picked it up. The Head Judge pointed it out to them after her bars routine. I'm still stumped two years down the line.

Weirdest thing I ever experienced at a meet: Second rotation, judging beam, with 14 - 17 year old level 3s. So beginners but high school kids. Coach came to the table to request permission for the gymnast to leave the floor because she had her leotard on back to front. Neither gymnast nor coach picked it up. The Head Judge pointed it out to them after her bars routine. I'm still stumped two years down the line.
We had a girl one time show up to our home meet with her leotard on backwards. She was about 11. It was her first meet. Luckily, I noticed it when they were first running for open stretch (and we have the most modest cut so it wasn't revealing anything). I let her mom know and she took her to turn it around.

Then, years later, there was a rec girl, about 6 years old. Her dad (for the first time ever) had to get her ready for class. She was wearing a biketard (one of the danskin ones with a bow on the back) ... but she had it on backwards and the middle of the bow was just below her chest. Dad WAS smart enough to have her wear a little sports bra under it, but he thought THAT was how it was supposed to look - just that the bow was too low because she had a long torso.

We had a girl one time show up to our home meet with her leotard on backwards. She was about 11. It was her first meet. Luckily, I noticed it when they were first running for open stretch (and we have the most modest cut so it wasn't revealing anything). I let her mom know and she took her to turn it around.

Then, years later, there was a rec girl, about 6 years old. Her dad (for the first time ever) had to get her ready for class. She was wearing a biketard (one of the danskin ones with a bow on the back) ... but she had it on backwards and the middle of the bow was just below her chest. Dad WAS smart enough to have her wear a little sports bra under it, but he thought THAT was how it was supposed to look - just that the bow was too low because she had a long torso.
As we would say in the South, "bless his heart!"

I don't know she never really got the piked version - probably the only one in her team who just couldn't get it! I think she over-rotated it. She just took the penalties for falling on it! I hope now that she has successfully competed the layout her coach will just let her use that.
I have 3 sisters btw, all in gymnastics! All totally unique, they keep me laughing!
I love Haleigh Bryant, she has such perfect form and technique.
Are all 3 of your sisters ready for level 10? It's nice of you to do all of this gymnastics research for your sister(s). A fall during a beam routine is .5 each time. It is true though that if the fall happens with the series or some kind of leap connection that it could lower the start value of the routine, and the routine could be scored as though the series or connection was missing. I'm not a judge so I don't know all of the ins and outs. I meant to ask, how did your sister manage to score mid 36 with a 7.35 on the beam? She would have to have gotten very high 9s on the other three events. Maybe the judges were so wowed by her double front bar dismount that they gave her extra tenths on the bars. I'd love to see a fifth grader "nail" a double front dismount on the bars on level 9. Unheard of! Maybe she will consider sharing a video with us one of these days. Does she do an overshoot or a pak? Or both?

Reactions: SMH
I agree with LJL07, with skills like that, she will be on track for Jr. Elite soon. I have seen 9-10 year old's doing that triple series on beam but why would they have her doing that dismount on bars at level 9? If she turns 11 anytime this year she would be eligible for Hopes.

Are all 3 of your sisters ready for level 10? It's nice of you to do all of this gymnastics research for your sister(s). A fall during a beam routine is .5 each time. It is true though that if the fall happens with the series or some kind of leap connection that it could lower the start value of the routine, and the routine could be scored as though the series or connection was missing. I'm not a judge so I don't know all of the ins and outs. I meant to ask, how did your sister manage to score mid 36 with a 7.35 on the beam? She would have to have gotten very high 9s on the other three events. Maybe the judges were so wowed by her double front bar dismount that they gave her extra tenths on the bars. I'd love to see a fifth grader "nail" a double front dismount on the bars on level 9. Unheard of! Maybe she will consider sharing a video with us one of these days. Does she do an overshoot or a pak? Or both?
Im her older sis not coach so dont know the answer to all your questions... This is what my sis told me. Im not sure how Hopes works but she's planning on doing that next yr and possible also Jr. Elite. Turning 11 in August.
Nope other 2 sisters are younger, one in level 6 and the other in level 3. Seeing as she had 4 falls that would be 2 points off the routine - which means she would have gotten a 9.35 - a normal score! Her 4 scores were 7.35 9.25 9.725 and 9.85 on bars!! So yes 2 of them were extremely high. She does a pak.
My parents have made the decision to keep her gymnastics private until she goes to college/elite - no need to have ppl calling her the next simone biles etc. If she has a video which doesnt clearly show her name ill tell her to post it here! Same with the younger ones who are also pretty talented. Btw that dismount had one step on the landing and she says she rarely manages such a neat landing in practice so she just got lucky with that one. She sat all her warmups. I think competition adrenaline really does her good - same with the vault!

@Flopsygymnast - Just for reference, your lil sis is 11 in terms of HOPES/Elite. The gymnast’s age is determined by the age they are or will be on Dec. 31st of that year. Sounds like you’ll be needing to brush up on this kind of stuff bc she’s got a bright future, lol!! Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about her!!

@Flopsygymnast - Just for reference, your lil sis is 11 in terms of HOPES/Elite. The gymnast’s age is determined by the age they are or will be on Dec. 31st of that year. Sounds like you’ll be needing to brush up on this kind of stuff bc she’s got a bright future, lol!! Looking forward to hearing/seeing more about her!!
Lol I have no idea im not a coach! Seems like her coach decided to hold her back from HOPES this yr but she plans on doing it next yr. Ill keep you all updated!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back