Parents The hits just keep coming..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PeanutsMom

Proud Parent
Last weekend was States, and after a rough season of competing only 2 events due to a huge growth spurt, Severs, and a lot of pain, DD got to compete all 4 events, ended 6th in the all around, had personal bests on 3 of 4 events and came away feeling like she was back on track. In practice this week, she under rotated her front lay front pike and jarred her back. It just took a jolt when she landed the front pike. Now she is walking like an 80 year old. She can hardly stand up straight, has pain shooting down her leg (I am thinking sciatica) and has been icing and taking Tylenol. There are only 8 practices left until Regionals. I am sending her today to hopefully check in with the PT and see if he has any suggestions for helping her back other than rest. If he recommends it, I will keep her home for the next couple of days and hopefully she can practice next week. Gymnasts are strong and don't complain a lot. She was in tears yesterday because her back was spasming. What a let down after a great weekend!

That is so hard, especially when she finally had a good meet and qualified for regionals. I feel for you and your daughter. Keep us posted, I hope she get to compete!

I hear you. We did not compete this year but just as my daughter was getting more consistent with all her skills and feeling confident she broke her ankle at practice and now has 4 weeks in a cast and then time in a boot etc. Gymnastics is all about balancing work outs in between injuries and sometimes not from overuse but just slight mistakes that cause bad injuries. I hope your daughter recovers soon enough for regionals but can get some practice in safely before the meet. Back injuries are hard to deal with and effect all parts of their gymnastics. At least my daughter can do conditioning exercises all day long.

I hear you. We did not compete this year but just as my daughter was getting more consistent with all her skills and feeling confident she broke her ankle at practice and now has 4 weeks in a cast and then time in a boot etc. Gymnastics is all about balancing work outs in between injuries and sometimes not from overuse but just slight mistakes that cause bad injuries. I hope your daughter recovers soon enough for regionals but can get some practice in safely before the meet. Back injuries are hard to deal with and effect all parts of their gymnastics. At least my daughter can do conditioning exercises all day long.

Last weekend was States, and after a rough season of competing only 2 events due to a huge growth spurt, Severs, and a lot of pain, DD got to compete all 4 events, ended 6th in the all around, had personal bests on 3 of 4 events and came away feeling like she was back on track. In practice this week, she under rotated her front lay front pike and jarred her back. It just took a jolt when she landed the front pike. Now she is walking like an 80 year old. She can hardly stand up straight, has pain shooting down her leg (I am thinking sciatica) and has been icing and taking Tylenol. There are only 8 practices left until Regionals. I am sending her today to hopefully check in with the PT and see if he has any suggestions for helping her back other than rest. If he recommends it, I will keep her home for the next couple of days and hopefully she can practice next week. Gymnasts are strong and don't complain a lot. She was in tears yesterday because her back was spasming. What a let down after a great weekend!

Sorry to hear :( Injuries are a brutal aspect of the sport and you daughter needs time to recover. I know this is probably difficult to hear, however, it is in the best interest of your daughter to let her fully recover and not worry about regionals. Gymnastics is a marathon not a sprint and it sounds like she has time to regain skills and perform well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cmg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back