WAG Am I missing a skill?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Zaxryn

Gymnast
I compete as an xcel platinum right now and my routine is kip, free hip to kip, squat on, high bar kip, straddle undershoot dismount form high bar. I think I am missing a skill because my scores have been a lot lower than I feel they should be. If i am missing a skill I am wondering if I could do kip, free hip to kip, drop kip, squat on, high bar kip, straddle undershoot. Would a drop kip count as a skill?

you could also do kip to back hip circle squat on to high bar then uprise or long kip/pullover to underswing flyaway or sole circle. hope this helps!

You need a cast or your clear hip to finish at horizontal for one of your start requirements. Is your clear hip finishing high enough? If not, that's -0.5 off your start value. The clear hip also needs to finish at 45 degrees from handstand to not get an amplitude deduction, so if your clear hip is below horizontal it would be -0.5 off your start value, and -0.4 for amplitude.

If your cast before your clear hip is not at horizontal, that also won't be counted as a skill, so in that case you are missing 1 'a' skill which is another -0.1

You need a cast or your clear hip to finish at horizontal for one of your start requirements. Is your clear hip finishing high enough? If not, that's -0.5 off your start value. The clear hip also needs to finish at 45 degrees from handstand to not get an amplitude deduction, so if your clear hip is below horizontal it would be -0.5 off your start value, and -0.4 for amplitude.

If your cast before your clear hip is not at horizontal, that also won't be counted as a skill, so in that case you are missing 1 'a' skill which is another -0.1
Is this for aau or usag or is it the same for both?

I will jump in to echo some of this and provide clarification.
There are 4 special requirements, each worth .5 for both usag and AAU:
Kip ✅
360 circling skill ✅
Skill that finishes above horizontal ❓
Dismount from the HB ✅
If your scores feel low...my guess would be you are missing one of these.
You also need 6 As (worth .1 each) and 1 B (worth .3)
At Platinum casts do not count as As unless they are above horizontal. They are Bs when they are 20 degrees from vertical. Your free hip is your B regardless of the angle of completion, as long as your hips don’t touch the bar.
So without knowing the angle of your casts and free hip it is hard to know what you are missing. Hope this helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back