WAG Can you help me explain scoring on this XG UB routine?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sandpapertongue

Proud Parent
I posted this in the Parents forum but I thought it might be better suited here and get more replies.

I would appreciate an explanation of how this bars routine was scored, from anyone who knows. This is an Xcel Gold routine, and I definitely see a lot of little deductions -- bent hips, feet not together. But is there a big deduction somewhere? She scored a 8.2 on this routine, and teammates who had a fall on the squat on to high bar scored higher than her. During one of her previous meets, she scored a 7.8 with a very similar performance and got the same score as a teammate who fell 3 times. She has also gotten a 8.9 once and again, it looked the same to me. Is it because she is not quite horizontal on her cast? I'd appreciate any insight because I honestly don't know and neither does my daughter. Thanks!

I think an 8.2 is actually a pretty good score for this routine. Here is what I have:
The cast is below horizontal, which a horizontal cast is a special requirement. So her start value should be a 9.5.

Each skill (there are 8) with the exception of her squat on has .15 to .4 in deductions. So lots of loose shapes and bent arms and legs.

She also stops her routine between the back hip and the squat on. I took a rhythm deduction there.

My biggest suggestion would be to eliminate the 3rd tap swing. It doesn’t count for anything and I had .4 in execution on it.

As to other kids scoring higher with a fall. A fall is a .5 deduction. But if they don’t have execution deductions on every skill it is easy for a routine with a fall and no other significant execution deductions to score higher than a no fall routine with deductions on each skill.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

I think an 8.2 is actually a pretty good score for this routine. Here is what I have:
The cast is below horizontal, which a horizontal cast is a special requirement. So her start value should be a 9.5.

Each skill (there are 8) with the exception of her squat on has .15 to .4 in deductions. So lots of loose shapes and bent arms and legs.

She also stops her routine between the back hip and the squat on. I took a rhythm deduction there.

My biggest suggestion would be to eliminate the 3rd tap swing. It doesn’t count for anything and I had .4 in execution on it.

As to other kids scoring higher with a fall. A fall is a .5 deduction. But if they don’t have execution deductions on every skill it is easy for a routine with a fall and no other significant execution deductions to score higher than a no fall routine with deductions on each skill.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
I agree with this. I wanted to comment on her dismount as well. she is not Even close to horizontal on her swing before turning; she is turning with her body almost straight down. I hope that makes sense? I think 8.2 is even a little high for this routine. If she can get her legs straight Throughout and hit that cast at horizontal, it will improve her score a lot. Whatever she is training now, good luck! As she matures her skills should also improve.

As she matures her skills should also improve.
This is definitely true, I notice that as gymnasts get older so does their awareness of their form!

Pretty much throughout the whole routine there was bent knees. While this can improve with experience+ age, she might have tight calves/achilles tendons which prevent her from straightening them fully.

I say this because that happened to me when I was younger. I worked on stretching out my lower legs and the problem of always having bent knees disappeared mostly. I used to bend my knees in pike stretch, so I worked on squeezing them there, then working my way up to grabbing the bottom of the beam, or stairs if I was at home.

Basically, most of this routine can be fixed if she just squeezed a little more. I saw pike-y casts and a pike-y back hip. Even in resting position between backhip and squat on her knees were bent. Also in the back of the tap swings I could tell she was trying to get amplitude, which made her knees bend and come apart.

All of the above can be fixed if she focused on squeezing every muscle.

Nice routine, I see potential for 9s as long as she stays tight! :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back