WAG Meet not telling girls their scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ReluctantGymMom

Proud Parent
We’re having an in-house mobility meet (our gym and one more gym coming) for level 5 - our coaches said the girls won’t see their scores, they’re not going to tell them their scores, they’re just going to tell them if they scored out or not.

is this allowed???

If it's an in-house mobility meet, then I don't see why this would be a problem.
No scores at all, just told if they passed or not? There’s a small issue with how this meet was organized and the coaches telling the girls that only one of the girls is going to actually score out, so not having any scores at all disclosed is just rubbing some of us wrong.

In an in-house mobility meet (our gym and another gym are coming for level 5) - can the judges just not show scores? The coaches said our girls won’t know their scores, they’ll just be told if they scored out or not.

Is this allowed???

Well... if they show the scores right away... then they wouldn't be able to change them later if they don't qualify.

We were a part of a gym that had this practice and it rubbed us the wrong way too. We know they fibbed it all too, because they sometimes didn’t even bother the pretext of full routines. Showed skills, said the girls got the scores, moved on. I guess I just have an issue with people who flout the rules for no reason. That HC/owner is actually permanently banned now, so I guess that isn’t happening there anymore- and the gym obviously had bigger problems at the time.
Another gym didn’t properly handle my daughter’s score out- we actually complained and the coach laughed at me and told me to leave him alone. We didn’t stay long. I think these kinds of things happen more often than anyone wants to admit.

This is exactly how our gym does things for the level 5 score out meet. The girls just found out if they got the required score or not. I have no idea what her actual scores are and neither does she. For a mobility meet it doesn’t even matter.

Editing to add, if you think the coaches and gym don’t have the best interest of your gymnast in mind then why are you still there? Not trying to be snarky or rude, but I’d be thinking seriously about finding a different gym where you do trust that they are looking out for your girls.

No scores at all, just told if they passed or not? There’s a small issue with how this meet was organized and the coaches telling the girls that only one of the girls is going to actually score out, so not having any scores at all disclosed is just rubbing some of us wrong.
Sounds to me that the meet is actually a tryout for who will move up. They are going to choose the gymnast(s) whom they want to move to the next level and the rest of the girls will stay in their current level. So in reality, it doesn't matter what the scores are, if It's a subjective decision on the coaches part.

Sounds to me that the meet is actually a tryout for who will move up. They are going to choose the gymnast(s) whom they want to move to the next level and the rest of the girls will stay in their current level. So in reality, it doesn't matter what the scores are, if It's a subjective decision on the coaches part.
Did your daughter move up? If not are you only mad because she didn’t, or would you still be upset if your daughter moved up without a score?

There is a required score to move up for each level, so the scores definitely do matter.

There is a required score to move up for each level, so the scores definitely do matter.
Yes, but given what the parent is saying - that only one gymnast is going to move up - it doesn't matter what score any of them get, as long as the one they choose has the mobility score. All could get the mobility score but only one is being chosen

Is only one gymnast going to “score out” or is only one going to “move up”? Those are different things, and the former suggests that there is something fishy planned with the scores.

Why is anyone other than the one selected girl even participating? It sounds like the gym is going to hide the scores from the girls so that they can’t argue to be moved up even if they achieve the mobility score, but in that case what’s the point? Is the gym just trying to spread out the cost of bringing in the judges?

I don’t tell my girls their scores at a mobility meet. I just tell them if they placed out, then we have an ice cream party. I have a very stress free day and I don’t let anyone try if I am not sure that they will make it. I was planning on having them place out in mid-June but half of them weren’t ready. I pushed it back to July 30. It gives them 6 more weeks and I can still use the old compulsory routines. I am placing out 17 girls and this way is just easier.

Also adding our gym only does a mobility meet for girls who have already “moved up” and are planning to compete the next level up. There were 2-3 girls who didn’t get the score, and they had them try again the following week. Our gym doesn’t base move ups on scores at all. (Other than obviously needing the minimum)

Our gym didnt show the scores during the meet but did send the girls home with the score card so we could see them. From my experience in house score out meets are very generously scored...why go through all that trouble to just have the girls not make it. I will say if someone had a truly bad meet (lots of falls etc) they did not get the score to move on, but I also got the impression if someone was close (withing a few tenths) they may have helped the scores a bit to get them over the top. In this context I wouldnt be concerned if they didnt share the scores with me unless it seemed like there was some obvious favoritism in the score out process.

My opinion is that these serve more as a way to train towards a goal and manage progress as opposed to setting a bar that needs to be reached to progress to the next level. Goals, timeframe, effort, attitude and possibly pressure; the things our girls will need to understand and manage to be successful as an adult. If they work hard and are close to the goals, move them to the next level. As parents we need to remember, there is more to the sport than levels and scores.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back