Parents We have a new gym!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PeanutsMom

Proud Parent
For those of you following the saga of my DD, I am happy to report she found a new gym. The gym was purchased in 2019 from an old gym that went out of business. It is super small (2 sets of bars, 2 high beams, 2 low beams), one vault, but its so low key and friendly. They are just starting a JO team, so my DD will be one of 2 level 7s (I am pretty sure she is repeating level 7). They also have 4 level 3s and that is IT. However, they all practice together and the level 3s are gaining skills really quickly. There is an existing XG team and they are all doing great things. They had one season before COVID shut the gym down and they managed to stay afloat. My daughter feels welcomed, encouraged, and valued already.

On another note, the gym inherited all the equipment when they bought the old gym and they are attempting to modernize on a budget. If anyone has any suggestions on how to find gently used gym equipment or knows of sites that do trading/selling/etc. of gym equipment they could use the links. Currently they need a hand mat for vault as the girls doing Yurchenko timers don't have one and are using a panel mat. they also need a tape for the vault runway to get numbers/steps so they are consistent going to meets. They just ordered a porta-pit for under bars, but they need a couple of 8 inchers for under beam. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Happy dance! So glad you guys have found a healthy environment, and I bet your DD will thrive!

She said to me yesterday after a good vault, "Mom, I haven't had a coach compliment me in 2 years!" It made her smile HUGE!
That is wonderful yet SO sad that coaches didn’t do it before. My daughter’s coaches are great about praising and it just makes her want to work harder for them. I don’t know why coaches ever feel like they can get more out of their athletes by withholding praise??!!

That is wonderful yet SO sad that coaches didn’t do it before. My daughter’s coaches are great about praising and it just makes her want to work harder for them. I don’t know why coaches ever feel like they can get more out of their athletes by withholding praise??!!
Agreed - Who wouldn't want to coach athletes that are, you know, *happy*?!? We're fortunate to also be at a gym where coaches give praise and encouragement. It's sad that this isn't the norm, across all sports.

I don't know how to post video from my phone to the forum, so I will just tell you all that my DD did her giant between bars for the first time since February. Her previous coach didn't like her feet (she flexes on the way past the low bar because she is afraid to hit her toes) and made her take the giant out until she "fixed it". However the new coach said, Do it. We will fix it as we go. So in practice on Monday she did her giant between bars. Her grin was huge! She was also working her stalder on strap bar, she did a gorgeous clear hip handstand on strap and will be moving it to high bar. Slowly she is learning to love gym for the sake of gym again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back