WAG Self-reflection from gymnastics commentators

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RTT2

Proud Parent
Does this ever happen? I've been really struck in listening to the commentary during major gymnastics meets by just how much things have changed within the sport, but the same commentators never reflect on these major shifts. For example, I recall Nastia Liukin explaining that female gymnasts usually "peak by 18" while commentating on a meet just a few years ago, but as far as I'm aware there hasn't been any follow up discussion about how much this is shifting with the current field of women. My daughter was shouting at the tv last night as they exclaimed that Simone was even better than she was years ago. "People who work hard improve!" she kept saying, not getting that in gymnastics the idea was always that it was over by the time they left their teen years and it still seems to be surprising that a gymnast in her twenties can continue to get better.

I remember years of watching Olympic coverage where they described a 19 year old athlete as "the grandma of the group". Watching the 2016 Olympics I remember being stunned when one of the commentators (probably Daggett) said that one of the Chinese athletes (this was on vault) simply didn't have the right body type- didn't have the musculature to compete against athletes like Aly Raisman and Simone Biles. It was absolutely the opposite of the type of commentary I always heard as a kid watching gymnastics- anyone muscular didn't have the "graceful lines" or the right body type. I guess I'd like to see or hear the gymnastics community publicly address how some long held beliefs in the gymnastics world have been proven to be utterly wrong, or at least how much things have progressed.

In today's hypersensitive, terminally-offended society, would you really expect them to want to navigate those kinds of minefields? Especially in light of the scandals gymnastics just weathered. One accidental poor choice of words and they could be fired. Even now, seems like every third youtube comment is some zealot with a pitchfork calling for Daggett to be fired. I think the only outrage Nastia plans to ever cause are from her choices of attire.

I'm not really answering your question on self-reflection but I wish NBC would start over with the gymnastics commentating team. I'm old enough to have been a Tim Daggett fan since the '84 Olympics but he's not doing it for me anymore as a commentator. Nastia had a few sporadic nuggets of insight during trials, but mostly she's all about Nastia. I hope they give Laurie more air time in Tokyo...she was so refreshing.

I'm not really answering your question on self-reflection but I wish NBC would start over with the gymnastics commentating team. I'm old enough to have been a Tim Daggett fan since the '84 Olympics but he's not doing it for me anymore as a commentator. Nastia had a few sporadic nuggets of insight during trials, but mostly she's all about Nastia. I hope they give Laurie more air time in Tokyo...she was so refreshing.
- Daggett - I like him. He's like an institution at this point. But I think he might need to start taking some memory supplements, based on his flubbing of words of late.

- Nastia - I kind of agree, with the caveat that the other commentators usually seem to be the ones to make things about Nastia's experiences. And I think this would still mostly happen with anyone current such as Laurie. They'll just want to reference these more recent gymnastics happenings to engage the audience on something they're familiar with. That's my take on it. I still kind of like her, despite her increasingly horrendous wardrobe choices, and she hearkens back to the recent golden age of women's gymnastics.

- Laurie - she seemed super nervous, talked super fast and made me a bit uncomfortable tbh. I'd be very hesitant to want her to replace either of the older male commentators. I feel like then there would just be too much inexperience, having 2/3 being these relatively young women with not much experience doing the job. However, I could TOTALLY see her replacing whoever that older blonde woman is on the floor doing the athlete interviews - she always has some backhanded remark that just makes me cringe. I'd enjoy seeing someone like Laurie take over on that. If she can establish that she is capable of doing the job without being so nervous.

- Daggett - I like him. He's like an institution at this point. But I think he might need to start taking some memory supplements, based on his flubbing of words of late.

- Nastia - I kind of agree, with the caveat that the other commentators usually seem to be the ones to make things about Nastia's experiences. And I think this would still mostly happen with anyone current such as Laurie. They'll just want to reference these more recent gymnastics happenings to engage the audience on something they're familiar with. That's my take on it. I still kind of like her, despite her increasingly horrendous wardrobe choices, and she hearkens back to the recent golden age of women's gymnastics.

- Laurie - she seemed super nervous, talked super fast and made me a bit uncomfortable tbh. I'd be very hesitant to want her to replace either of the older male commentators. I feel like then there would just be too much inexperience, having 2/3 being these relatively young women with not much experience doing the job. However, I could TOTALLY see her replacing whoever that older blonde woman is on the floor doing the athlete interviews - she always has some backhanded remark that just makes me cringe. I'd enjoy seeing someone like Laurie take over on that. If she can establish that she is capable of doing the job without being so nervous.

Yikes! Your post drips of ageism and sexism. My only comment is the 'older blonde' you mention is Andrea Joyce who has had quite a career in sportscasting....look her up.

Yikes! Your post drips of ageism and sexism. My only comment is the 'older blonde' you mention is Andrea Joyce who has had quite a career in sportscasting....look her up.
"Ageism" - older people have experienced more. They have a lot more to bring to the table as commentators. This should be self-evident. Do you SERIOUSLY want to just have a bunch of 20 year olds commentating these events?? I've had to listen to a couple events commentated only by young people and it was very difficult to endure that.

Or wait - did you mean the opposite? I said I liked Daggett. But go back and listen to his speech in this latest event. He was fumbling over basic words. I'm worried about the guy. What's wrong with recommending a memory supplement. I want to see him keep his job because I like his commentating.

"Sexism" - I proposed keeping the existing 2 males and 2 females. Somehow that is sexist? No.

As for Andrea Joyce - yeah I am all too familiar with her. I'm just bad with names. Or maybe I forget her name on purpose because of how cringeworthy half of her interviews are. You do know what I'm talking about I hope? I've watched figure skating longer than gymnastics, and have had to endure her demeaning questions to the athletes in that sport as well. Just so embarrassing. If anyone needs replaced it's her. I seriously do not understand how Daggett gets so much hate in comments, but Andrea Joyce does not seem to even get mentioned.

It would be great if they a combination like Tara Lipinski/Johnny Weir to do it. Fresh, funny, relevant. Gymnastics seems to suffer from the same sort of commentary figure skating used to . Old hands from back in the day who were very tradition bound and fusty and not so up to date on skills. What was considered impossible 20 years ago is now done regularly. Plus the culture of gymnastics is hopefully moving to a better place, and athletes have longer careers, which is really increasing what skills they can do. Simone is a perfect example, she’s gotten better with age

It would be great if they a combination like Tara Lipinski/Johnny Weir to do it. Fresh, funny, relevant. Gymnastics seems to suffer from the same sort of commentary figure skating used to . Old hands from back in the day who were very tradition bound and fusty and not so up to date on skills. What was considered impossible 20 years ago is now done regularly. Plus the culture of gymnastics is hopefully moving to a better place, and athletes have longer careers, which is really increasing what skills they can do. Simone is a perfect example, she’s gotten better with age
Ha, glad I'm not the only one that thought of a Lipinski/Weir-like combo for gymnastics. I love them!

And of course the only way to go from inexperienced to experienced. Is to do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back